Quantcast
Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more!

My Ride
    300 Limited

Default Obtaining your class 6 in Alberta - insurance, gear and more!

I know when I started looking at getting my motorcycle license, (Class 6) I had several questions in regards to what sort of permits I needed, where to get them, how much they cost, what insurance premiums I would get, where to get gear from and so on. I've since gotten my license, and decided I would make an informative thread on the subject. The information below is gathered from online research and personal experience;

Class 6 requirements / overview
    A Class 6 license is required to operate a motorcycle on a public roadway.
    When learning to ride a motorcycle, a person must:
    * be at least 16 years old
    * hold a valid operators license, this can be a Class 7 (learners)
    * have an instructor 18 years of age or older with a valid Class 6 non-Graduated Drivers License (GDL) either seated on the bike, following on another motorcycle, or in another motor vehicle.

Probationary riders in the GDL program are subject to the following conditions as well:
    * if they hold a Class 7 license, they may not ride at night. (Night time for GDL motorcycle riders is defined as from one hour after sunset or 12:00 midnight, whichever is earlier, and extends until one hour before sunrise or 5 A.M., whichever is later.)
    * have a zero alcohol level.
    * they will be suspended at 8 demerit points than fully licensed drivers at 15.

1) What do I need to do in order to get a Class 6 license?
    Although not required by law, I strongly recommend taking a riding course through a motorcycle school. This will make sure that you are well informed of how a motorcycle operates. Taking a riding course will not only improve your general riding skills, but will also provide (most of the time) better rates once you shop around for insurance. A lower test permit cost may also apply. I personally recommend Too Cool Motorcycle school. Here are a few motorcycle schools in Calgary. I have gone through Too Cool, and they have been excellent!

a) Too Cool Motorcycle School
    Phone #: 403-202-0099

Gold Daytime Course - Price: $699.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours Classroom & 23 Hours On Bike - 4:1 Student Instructor ratio with a class maximum of 12 students
    Silver Weeknight Course - Price: $599.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours Classroom & 18 Hours On Bike - 4:1 Student Instructor ratio with a class maximum of 12 students
    Silver Weekend Course - Price: $599.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours Classroom & 18 Hours On Bike - 4:1 Student Instructor ratio with a class maximum of 12 students
    Gold Course Retake - Price: $361.00 + GST - Placed as an 12 student - Please call for more information.
    Silver Course Retake - Price: $300.00 + GST - Placed as a 12 student - Please call for more information.
    Refresher Course - Course Price: $239.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours of training - 3:1 Student Instructor Ratio (6:00PM to 10:30PM)
    Emergency Training Course - Course Price: $219.00 + GST - Courses are Friday Nights from 6PM till 10PM - Please call for more information.
    b) Calgary Safety Council
    Phone #: 403-287.2990 Fax. 403-243-8565
    [email protected]

2014 rates (GST Included)
    Week(end) course: $550.00
    Week-long course: $490.00
    Repeat Course: $250.00
    Skills Course: $200.00
    Advance Course: $200.00
    Scooters Training: $250.00
    Practice Course $200.00
    Private Lessons $750.00

This school also offers ladies only courses, for groups of 5 or more, at a cost of $550 (available weekday evenings only).
    They also offer a $50 discount to full time students, with proof of enrollment.
    2) Knowledge test (required by law)
    This is a knowledge test for the Class 6 license. Please NOTE: this is NOT a license, it is simply the knowledge/written section of OBTAINING your motorcycle license.The questions are based on this handbook and the Basic License Drivers Handbook; they test ones knowledge of safe-driving practices, rules of the road, traffic control signs and signals as they relate to motorcycles. The test consists of 30 questions; you must get 25/30 correct in order to pass. Once passed, you will obtain a "Knowledge Test Permit", which is valid 1 year from the day you obtained it. This permit is necessary in order to be able to purchase your road test permit. (below)

A fee of $17.60 is charged for each knowledge test taken.

3) Road test (required by law)
    Once you've obtained your KNOWLEDGE TEST PERMIT (explained above), you will need to purchase a ROAD TEST PERMIT, from any local registry. The Class 6 operator's license road test is done in a traffic environment. The road test is done at a registry agent office or at an approved motorcycle school. Tests at motorcycle schools will be available for students who have completed an authorized training course. Too Cool offers all graduating students free use of their motorcycles for the road test (at their location by the Stadium). This is a huge advantage, as I have learned myself, should you not have a way of getting your bike to the testing location (you have to have someone with a class 6 ride/drive alongside/behind you) or do not own a bike.

All Class 6 road tests are scheduled by registry agents, who will arrange for driver examiners to do the tests (regardless of where the test takes place). The road test cost varies; For example, I've taken my training course through Too Cool and paid $105 for my road test permit, as opposed to ~$140 (depending on registry) for regular road test permits.

Driver examiners will assess the rider's "road-readiness" before entering into traffic. The driver examiner will ensure the motorcycle is mechanically safe before the test. If it is not mechanically safe, the driver examiner will not do the test. Please ensure you have your KNOWLEDGE permit, ROAD TEST permit and drivers license on you at the time of your test; otherwise you will not be allowed to take it.

Instructions will be given to the rider prior to the road test. The rider will also receive instructions in advance of each maneuver and during the test, by use of a one-way radio. This is fairly straight forward, before beginning the test they will give you a one way radio (headphone) to place on your ear, under the helmet. During the test the instructor will update you with his/her requirements. You do not have to/cannot talk to the instructor through the radio during the test.

The test takes 45 to 55 minutes and involves driving in residential areas/roadways. Many people seem to be concerned about tips & tricks to pass the test. Simply put, there are none. The trick is to display road readiness, by:
    - being in control of the motorcycle (try not to stall it)
    - stopping fully at stop signs
    - signaling (don't forget to cancel the signal)
    - yielding (don't stop, unless necessary)
    - when changing lanes (signal, shoulder check, switch lane, CANCEL SIGNAL)
    - constantly check your mirrors, move your head, be obvious about it.
    - when passing through residential zones with UNCONTROLLED intersections, slow down, acknowledge intersections by looking into them, both ways before going through.
    - proper merging
    - obeying the speed limit (do the speed limit, do NOT speed with traffic)
    - pay attention to school/playground zones (are they in effect? if so, slow down and vice versa.)
    - keep a dominant road position (closest to the road marker/ lane divider, of course varies on road conditions)

Depending on the errors you make, you may get dinged 10 points (on most I believe). For example; you forgot to cancel your signal, you realize it later, you cancel it. You just lost 10 points. Even though you're allowed to "accumulate" 75 points before failing, keep in mind that you cannot acquire more than 30 points (3 fails) from any one task. For example, I mentioned above, you'd lose 10 points for forgetting to cancel your signal, should you do this 3 times, you would fail. Some events may lead to an automatic fail; ex:dropping the bike.

That's all there is to it!

4) Insurance
    Insurance is always an interesting topic, due to the variety of variables involved. Your rates will be determined by your age, your type of motorcycle (sport bikes have higher premiums) your riding experience, your driving record, and whether or not you have taken a riding course.
    The best way to determine what your rate will be, is to call the insurance company/broker of your choice and inquire about it. Personally, I've obtained the best rate through Chuck Saunders from Bearspaw Insurance (broker). You DO NOT need your class 6 in order to be able to insure a motorcycle. You do however need to insure a motorcycle before you'll be able to get it registered through the registry. The reason some people (without Class 6) may be turned down by insurance companies, has nothing to do with the legality of the situation itself, it's exclusively the company's policies. An example of this would be riding on the street (without a class 6) with someone that has a class 6 license. If you are turned down initially, try explaining the situation (as described above) or try a different company.
    Here are a few contacts:

Bearspaw Insurance (Broker)
    Deals with: Nordic Insurance, Jevco & ING
    CHUCK SAUNDERS
    Direct: (403) 247-7345
    Fax: (403) 247-7364
    [email protected][/email]

Blue Circle Insurance
    http://www.blue-circle.ca/
    (403) 770-9999

State Farm Insurance
    http://www.StateFarm.ca
    Agents are area specific, check website.
    5) Gear/Mods/Parts/Equipment
    Once you've gone through the above steps, you will most likely be looking to purchase riding gear, mods and what not. As much as I would personally love to just go down to my local store and buy everything locally, sometimes the price difference (as compared to online) makes you decide against it. Below I've listed a few stores (online) and local, that will be able to provide you with quality gear, at fair prices. (in order of preference)

Bayside Performance (Vancouver BC, Canadian based)
    offers a variety of accessories, gear & parts for most of your needs. The reason this is #1 on my list, is due to the fair prices & Canadian origin (meaning no outrageous shipping & handling fees, no duty and faster shipping)
    http://www.baysideperformance.ca/

Walt Healy Motorsports (Calgary, AB, local)
    Offers a variety of motorcycles, gear, and parts, at local prices.
    (403) 250-8630
    http://www.walthealy.com/

Motorcycle Gear.com - formerly known as "New Enough" (US based)
    Provides a wide variety of gear, accessories and parts. US based, beware of shipping & handling costs, customs duties, $US/$CDN conversion rate and shipping time.
    http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Knee Draggers (US based)
    Provides a wide variety of gear, accessories and parts. US based, beware of shipping & handling costs, customs duties, $US/$CDN conversion rate and shipping time. Includes free shipping within the US.
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/

MotoMummy (US based)
    Provides a wide variety of gear, accessories and parts. US based, beware of shipping & handling costs, customs duties, $US/$CDN conversion rate and shipping time. Includes free shipping within the US.
    http://www.motomummy.com/
    6) Registries - for more details on registries click here

Once you've successfully completed the road test, continue to being reclassed.
    Reclassing means you will have to visit a registry near you in order to add Class 6 on to your license. Reclassing cost is $22.45.

I hope this post will turn out to be helpful for some people.
    All the information expressed here is information I've gathered through online research and personal experiences. Feel free to post questions/comments/corrections, and I will make appropriate changes to the original post.

Best of luck!

References:
    Service Alberta - http://www.servicealberta.ca/drivers...lass_6_Licence
    Alberta transportation - http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/4582.htm
    Shawnessy Registy - http://www.shawnessyregistry.com/pricing/

Created: May 15th, 2009
    Updated: May 16th, 2009
    Updated: August 6th, 2014
    Last edited by Palmiros; 01-04-2015 at 05:23 AM.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    300 Limited

-Spare-

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

Awesome!

Someone should make this a sticky, or notice, or whatever you call it. I'm sure that it will answer a lot of questions that seem to come up every couple weeks.

Great post.

Maybe someone can clarify whether or not you need your class 6 to obtain insurance/registration on your bike - and if that has changed recently.

I was able to both insure and register my bike prior to taking any bike classes, and/or having my class 6, however, the other day I was speaking with someone else and they were unable to obtain insurance due to them not having a class 6 (as stated by them).

Not sure whats going on with that...

Nice write up! Would've been easier if I saw this sooner.

So if I have my class 6 but am still on GDL, I can't ride one hour after sunset or after midnight? Gay.

My Ride
    300 Limited

Originally posted by Khalil.e
    Great post.

Maybe someone can clarify whether or not you need your class 6 to obtain insurance/registration on your bike - and if that has changed recently.

I was able to both insure and register my bike prior to taking any bike classes, and/or having my class 6, however, the other day I was speaking with someone else and they were unable to obtain insurance due to them not having a class 6 (as stated by them).

Not sure whats going on with that...
    You don't need your class 6 in order to be able to insure a motorcycle. You do however need to insure a motorcycle before you'll be able to get it registered through registries.
    It depends on your insurance company as to whether or not they will insure your bike before you get your class 6; some care, some don't. I had no problems with mine (only request they had, was to get my class 6 in a reasonable time frame). Look at it this way, you don't need a class 6 in order to be able to ride on the street legally, while riding with someone that has a class 6 of course.
    Thanks for the question, I'll add it to the original post.
    Last edited by Palmiros; 05-15-2009 at 03:24 PM.

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

Originally posted by 96integra

So if I have my class 6 but am still on GDL, I can't ride one hour after sunset or after midnight? Gay.
    The night time rule only applies if you're Class 7 GDL.

However, you're still bound to the zero alcohol and 8 demerit thing.

My Ride
    300 Limited

Originally posted by 96integra

Well, I don't think you could have seen this any sooner, I just wrote it today

Updated initial post; will be adding registries soon.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Good write up!

My Ride
    300 Limited

Originally posted by adidas
    Good write up!
    Thanks! Just added the added registry information.
    Last edited by Palmiros; 05-21-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Originally posted by Palmiros

Well, I don't think you could have seen this any sooner, I just wrote it today

Updated initial post; will be adding registries soon.
    *Wish I knew it sooner.

Country Hills Plates also offers the road test through Too Cool...

My Ride
    VAG products

Nice work, informative for those starting up!

Great Post!!!
    Last edited by dannie; 05-16-2009 at 09:45 AM.

My Ride
    300 Limited

Updated, thanks Dannie.
    Last edited by Palmiros; 05-16-2009 at 03:47 PM.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Beauty post! stuck.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Great post

Hopefully people read it
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Just dealt with Chuck at Bearspaw Insurance. Great insurance broker to work with, gave me all the options with prices. Quick call backs and definitely will recommend!

CHUCK SAUNDERS
    Direct: (403) 247-7348
    Cell: (403) 471-1145

My Ride
    300 Limited

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    Just dealt with Chuck at Bearspaw Insurance. Great insurance broker to work with, gave me all the options with prices. Quick call backs and definitely will recommend!

CHUCK SAUNDERS
    Direct: (403) 247-7348
    Cell: (403) 471-1145
    Glad to hear. I went with him as well and got excellent service, thus listed as my first choice in the insurance column.

My Ride
    ninja 636 + stealth rt

apparently there is an insurance company which will insure bikes without a class 6 operators license required of the owner... i can't remember which company it is... not sure how good of an idea this is because all my friends that recently got bikes have decided to rip around without optaining their class 6... :S

My Ride
    ninja 636 + stealth rt

if anyone wants the name of the insurance company i could find it out for them... just pm me.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast