Quantcast
Offering $500 for a PHP guru to solve this issue - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Offering $500 for a PHP guru to solve this issue

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Default Offering $500 for a PHP guru to solve this issue

I have presented this to everyone I know and even desperately to strangers I just met. I'm offering money in exchange for anyone that can help me out with this but you must offer a solution in order to get paid.

The short version is that I'm wondering how to allow my customers to add their own materials and quantity calculations into a Bill Of Materials (BOM) I have built for them. The long version is below.

I built a quoting portal in PHP and it allows my client to sell their products to their clients while providing an accurate quote for the materials involved. Each material in the inventory has a static quantity calculation associated with it and this calculation is hard coded for each of the 380 inventory items. For example, there are 2x4x16 lumber boards all the way down both sides of the building so the calculation is:
    buildingLength / 16 * 2, rounded up
    Then there are also boards on both sides of each door on the building so I run a loop through each set of doors the building has and for each door I calculate:
    doorHeight / 16 * 2, rounded up
    This is a bad example because both calculations are almost the same but they could be wildly different and I'm looking for a way for the user to add their own items into the BOM and associate their own quantity calculations with it. Since they don't know how to write PHP this is incredibly difficult for me to figure out how the interface would work.

The salesman enters certain inputs into the quote at the request of the customer (width, length, height, door quantity, windows.....) and each time something is added, the system loops through every item in the BOM, calculates the quantities, adds a markup and spits out a price. It's much more complicated but that's the short version of it.

Is there someone I can hire to show me this for an hour? I don't want to be emailed every time they want to add an item into the inventory. I also want to set it up as a SASS one day.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You built this quoting system with data hard coded into php? They invented this really cool thing called a database 40 or 50 years ago that can easily handle adding and removing items along with associated data needed for your calculations so you don't need PHP skills to update your hard coded code. You can simply create a page for users to manage items and materials.

Best of all, databases like MySQL, postgres are all FREE.

btw - it'll cost you more than $500 to find someone to build something to do this. You can probably even hack an Excel sheet to do this if you don't have the skills.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by blindsight; 03-08-2017 at 11:23 PM.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by rage2
    You can probably even hack an Excel sheet to do this if you don't have the skills.
    I was going to post this earlier but was like meh lol
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Post this in a relevant Reddit group. Money talks.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Upwork.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

You built this quoting system with data hard coded into php? They invented this really cool thing called a database 40 or 50 years ago that can easily handle adding and removing items along with associated data needed for your calculations so you don't need PHP skills to update your hard coded code. You can simply create a page for users to manage items and materials.

Best of all, databases like MySQL, postgres are all FREE.
    The data isn't hard coded, only the calculations for quantities. It's my desire to have the calculations in the database, I'm just asking now for some help on how the interface for it would work.

btw - it'll cost you more than $500 to find someone to build something to do this. You can probably even hack an Excel sheet to do this if you don't have the skills.
    I don't want anyone to make this for me, all I want is for someone to explain to me how the interface could be set up to allow this. Then I'll code it up myself.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by blindsight
    What exactly do you do for a living Mar? As in, what do you do to pay the bills vs side projects? For some reason I thought you were a web-dev or something, but clearly that isn't the case...no offense.
    I develop fairly large portal based applications, This one is for my main client.

Last edited by blindsight; 03-08-2017 at 11:23 PM.