Quantcast
Official 2011-2012 Ski Season Thread! - Page 39 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2011-2012 Ski Season Thread!

Heard about a avi at panorama. Anyone have anymore info?

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

My Ride
    Lariat

well as some of you may remember i was just up at monashee powder cats, would have been an amazing trip if not for the class 3.5 avi that ripped through and took out our guide and a photographer who worked for monashee.
    the avi took them both about 500-600 meters downhill and one was buried a good 1 1/2 to 2 meters below the snow. luckily we were able to dig her out, i was the 2nd person to her with beacons out searching and we were able to probe her on the 3rd or 4th try. she was purple when we got down to her but shortly after we got her some room to breath, she started blinking her eyes but was not communicating at all. luckily the other guide wasnt as deep and was dug out by a few other people in our group. needless to say, if you are in the backcountry, make sure you are prepared! beacon, probe and shovel WILL save your life!

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/7319...tain-avalanche
    http://www.globaltvbc.com/group+of+s...949/story.html
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Originally posted by asp integra
    well as some of you may remember i was just up at monashee powder cats, would have been an amazing trip if not for the class 3.5 avi that ripped through and took out our guide and a photographer who worked for monashee.
    the avi took them both about 500-600 meters downhill and one was buried a good 1 1/2 to 2 meters below the snow. luckily we were able to dig her out, i was the 2nd person to her with beacons out searching and we were able to probe her on the 3rd or 4th try. she was purple when we got down to her but shortly after we got her some room to breath, she started blinking her eyes but was not communicating at all. luckily the other guide wasnt as deep and was dug out by a few other people in our group. needless to say, if you are in the backcountry, make sure you are prepared! beacon, probe and shovel WILL save your life!

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/7319...tain-avalanche
    http://www.globaltvbc.com/group+of+s...949/story.html
    Holy fuck, glad to hear that they are all okay!

Went to Louise yesterday. Mainly rode CSH (a little secret stash of ours ) and one run on West Bowl. Freshies all day.

EDIT: So with that being said, and the amount of avalanches this weekend I went and dropped the money on avy gear.

$600 < My life.
    Last edited by Spoons; 04-03-2012 at 08:00 AM.

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by Spoons

EDIT: So with that being said, and the amount of avalanches this weekend I went and dropped the money on avy gear.

$600 &lt; My life.
    Good call, any time you go out of bounds or in any snowy alpine area you should have all the right gear. Its amazing to witness and see first hand how 3 simple tools, beacon, probe and shovel can save someones life if used properly
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:

Originally posted by asp integra

Good call, any time you go out of bounds or in any snowy alpine area you should have all the right gear. Its amazing to witness and see first hand how 3 simple tools, beacon, probe and shovel can save someones life if used properly
    Problem is now I'm itching to get out in the back country and hike lol

Did anyone get the Rocky Mountain Passport this year?

I'm tempted to get it for next year, talks that Kicking Horse will be included this year. If that's the case, The Lac, Scumshine, Nakiska, Norquay, Kimberley, Fernie, Panorama, and Kicking Horse for roughly 1800 (early bird)... Sign me up.

Can anyone confirm the addition of Kicking Horse?

My Ride
    NC1

An update from me.

I leveled up. Fucking finally I can say I'm very comfortable on the slopes. Only took 18X out haha

I can pick up speed going down the hill, tried a jump, get through flats, turn blacks/carve blues no problems, made it through trees, hiked to some area off Wawa, spent a bunch of time on Goat side. I probably made a similar post to this one but the difference is I'm feeling it.

Oh yea. hahaha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    05' Accord LX-V6

That's awesome max_boost, congrats

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Nice work max_boost. Always feels good to accomplish a goal. I've been setting myself some new benchmarks for this coming season (New Zealand) which I'm pretty stoked on.

Side note: Has anyone skied the Mr. Pollard's Opus, the AK JJ or the Pettitor? Trying to choose a new powder stick and I've narrowed it down to these 3.

Originally posted by Freeskier
    Nice work max_boost. Always feels good to accomplish a goal. I've been setting myself some new benchmarks for this coming season (New Zealand) which I'm pretty stoked on.

Side note: Has anyone skied the Mr. Pollard's Opus, the AK JJ or the Pettitor? Trying to choose a new powder stick and I've narrowed it down to these 3.
    Pettitor is new to this year (2012-2013 Season) so I doubt many have ridden it yet. They should be exactly the same as the Obsethed's as that's what Sean Pettit has been riding till now.

I have friends with JJ's and the Obsethed's. Like I said the Obsethed's and the Pettitor will be very close to the same, so that is what I will use for comparison.

If you want a ski that you can charge with a little bit more, go with the JJ's. If you want a ski that is a little bit more playful, go with the Pettitor's/Obsethed's.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Yeah that's sort of what I figured. I'm in NZ for the year, working at a ski shop down here. They get all hardware a half season ahead, forgot that the pettitor isn't out yet. I used to have the seth pistols and they were a bit soft for someone my size, so I've been thinking I'd outski the pettitor. Sigh tough first world decisions ha

Does anyone know how the snow is at the end of April? I don't have time to go until after exams

Yeah that's sort of what I figured. I'm in NZ for the year, working at a ski shop down here. They get all hardware a half season ahead, forgot that the pettitor isn't out yet. I used to have the seth pistols and they were a bit soft for someone my size, so I've been thinking I'd outski the pettitor. Sigh tough first world decisions ha
    How tall and how heavy are you?

My Ride
    1990 4runner

6' 4" and 210lbs ish.

6' 4&quot; and 210lbs ish.
    Go with the JJ's.

Like I said the Pettitor/Obsethed's are a really playful ski. I think at your size and weight, the flex will be better suited with the JJ's.

My Ride
    Lariat

actually they dont get any gear ahead of time, atleast they didnt wen i was down there skiing for a summer 3 years ago. all the gear was stuff i had seen here all winter season and thats all they had a full season late, and its all super expensive. you would actually be able to make some money buying skis here before you go for end of season sale prices and then going down there to sell it as "new" gear.

also going by your size i would say go JJs if you like a stiffer ski, the lines and k2s will be noddles in comparison to the JJ or AK JJ
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Yeah I think I'll have a look at the ak jjs when they come in. It is suuuper pricey down here, but I'm working in a ski shop for the moment and so I get everything usually at cost and sometimes like 30% off that. But I think it's switched over so they get all skis and boots before NA. We're getting the Pettitor, new obsethed, sideseth this week in our shipment along with the 2013 full tilts and all that.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Looks like rain forecast for Banff Townsite on Thursday. I was considering hitting up Norqueay for the $2 day, but maybe I should hold off till friday and hit up Sunshine. I have a free day there . . .

Anyone looking at the $2 day this thursday at Norquay?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Just got back from Kicking Horse, snowboarded Sat and sunday, there was no new snow but was warm, sunny, and the snow was still quite decent when I hiked over to the superbowl. I dont think I have ever had a bad day there. They had the Slush Cup sunday afternoon and live music both days. Wish it didn't have to end
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 ... LastLast