Quantcast
P.Eng Application Question - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: P.Eng Application Question

Originally posted by dandia89
    Have any of you got solid salary bumps or position bumps with your new P.Eng?

I'm currently working as an Estimator with not a single P.Eng in my department, but I hope to sell it as qualified work experience. I'm probably doing more related engineering work than my other two jobs that had engineering titles and supervisors
    Didn't get either when I got my designation.

Also your reference doesn't necessarily have to be a P. Eng. so it shouldn't limit your ability to claim it as experience.

More responsibility. Same ish pay. Made me more attractive for hired gun contracts and my own side consultancy.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Considering I got 100% credit for a lot of my quasi "engineer" work I wouldn't be concerned.
    What do/did you do if you don't mind me asking?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Oilfield service field work. Logging mostly.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by dandia89
    Have any of you got solid salary bumps or position bumps with your new P.Eng?

I'm currently working as an Estimator with not a single P.Eng in my department, but I hope to sell it as qualified work experience. I'm probably doing more related engineering work than my other two jobs that had engineering titles and supervisors
    I didn't when I got it in sept but told because it was so late in the year the budgets were set. Once January comes they'll put in a req for a raise.

Whether that happens or 'times are too tough right now' we'll see.

My Ride
    V8s

When I was in the EPC inustry, it was commonplace to get bumped from a B to C level when you got your P.Eng (and get the corresponding raise). Having said that, when the time came, they did everything they could to weasel out of it.

Where I'm working now, they don't care if you have a P.Eng, and don't use APEGA averages for guidelines.

Killramos - if you weren't doing technical stuff, but you can write it up so you were still analyzing/problem solving, it should be fine. It might be tough, but I'm sure you're not the only one working at an O&G company that's had to use stuff like that on their application.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just spent the evening with a few old colleagues including a few references explaining my situation so hopefully they will be kind once they get the call from apega which is all you can hope for.

I realize I am not that out of the ordinary in town I am just irritated that they rules and regulations are so formalized but at the end of the day it's just a checkbox on my life over the past 4 years. I try to take my work seriously and his just makes it seem like a bit of a joke.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    V8s

Yeah, I feel ya. The thing is, you gotta try and not let it get to you. I went through a couple years where I felt similarly, but you'll reach a point (soonish, likely), where you'll realize the things you were doing actually did matter, and you'll benefit from putting the time in and taking it seriously. You're going to be reaching a point in your career soon where you can experience rapid growth and development, if you're a hard worker, just use that to stay motivated. That's what i did, anyhow. /derail

tl;dr - even if it seems like your hard work is being marginalised, it will pay off.
    Last edited by bjstare; 12-01-2016 at 10:20 PM.

My Ride
    Random cars

Originally posted by killramos
    Just spent the evening with a few old colleagues including a few references explaining my situation so hopefully they will be kind once they get the call from apega which is all you can hope for.

I realize I am not that out of the ordinary in town I am just irritated that they rules and regulations are so formalized but at the end of the day it's just a checkbox on my life over the past 4 years. I try to take my work seriously and his just makes it seem like a bit of a joke.
    Dude. Chill. This is such a non-issue. You will not even remember that you cared about things in 10 years.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by RT16V

Dude. Chill. This is such a non-issue. You will not even remember that you cared about things in 10 years.
    Yeah, plus I think he's over thinking the process. Your references get like a 6 question yes or no questionaire and a spot for overall comments (which I've seen people not even fill in sheesh)

Keep in mind you can also have up to 12 months experience is non engineering work if it's sort of applicable (say technologist work or in your case statistical analysis)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea thanks guys, was drunk as a skunk when i wrote that last one. Just need to fill out the forms best I can and get this behind me. Yes i do have a tendency to overthink things.

Found out one of my references is currently kicking around North Africa or something working so thats going to be an experience trying to get him to respond to a reference request.

fact.

My Ride
    V8s

Yea thanks guys, was drunk as a skunk when i wrote that last one. Just need to fill out the forms best I can and get this behind me. Yes i do have a tendency to overthink things.

Found out one of my references is currently kicking around North Africa or something working so thats going to be an experience trying to get him to respond to a reference request.

I never feel the need to go on beyond when I've been drinking, always something better to attract my attention haha. That's true commitment.

Also, good luck with that. Just pray that the reference has a company email, so you they don't have to provide the reference through snail mail.

Protip: assuming your references have good things to say and aren't going to sewer you, ask them for a copy of their submittal. It can possibly provide useful info on your personal strengths (for a resume, job application, etc.) you may not have thought of.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I was bored in the back of a cab

Yea if he really is in Africa without a company email then I might just have to list him as supervisor and find someone else to do the formal reference ( up chain of command or something ). I have plenty of other professional references so it could really be anyone who was around while I was working there.

Good Tip! I will be sure to do that!

fact.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by pheoxs

Yeah, plus I think he's over thinking the process. Your references get like a 6 question yes or no questionaire and a spot for overall comments (which I've seen people not even fill in sheesh)

Keep in mind you can also have up to 12 months experience is non engineering work if it's sort of applicable (say technologist work or in your case statistical analysis)
    Nailed it. Wayyyyyyy overthinking it. Get out a thesaurus and fancy up what you do. Easy peasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

I did mine about 20 months ago, took about 2 months to get to the reference stage, one dragged his feet for 6 frigging months, so didn't proceed past then until a year ago. Then my profile updated and said everything was received, and would be sent to the board (January), so at least with me as of a year ago it said when it was going to the board. Then got my letter early Feb.

My references, one was a coworker (but much more senior) P.Eng, one was a P.Eng coworker from 2008, who wasn't a P.Eng at the time, similar level, one was a non-professional boss from Asia when I was working there, and one was a non-professional junior engineer from the states I mentored, who had since moved into supervisory role.

My exact work was largely oil field services as well (logging), and they made no mention of partial credit, but I did have 7.5 yrs.

Like others, I was concerned since 2/4 of my references weren't P.Eng (3/4 at the time they worked with me), and 3/4 were not supervisors, and my work was borderline engineering, you could even argue the needle tilted towards tech work, but honestly once all the boxes were ticked it was pretty painless.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Put in my application this morning, out of my hands now. Went 3 levels up the chain of command for one of my summer jobs before getting fed up and just getting someone who was more peripheral to sign off that I was there and that sounds like about what i was doing. We will see how it goes. I keep pretty close contact with most of my former coworkers but never really clicked with anyone while in that role, they all mostly seemed like having students in their group was a nuisance. Which we probably were...

In particular my old manager there won't return my emails despite getting in contact with him through a mutual friend. Maybe it had something to do with him being let go while i was working for him

Oh well, clock starts today. For anyone's interest I will try to come back to this post and give updates to my timeline as they come. I have 2 references by snail mail ( layoffs are a bitch ).

edit: So updates on this for anyone who is interested on current timing, all others just ignore:

About 2 days after putting ( Jan 22 ) in my application i checked my status that was saying my academic records were missing, which was stupid since I'm already a registered EIT. Anyhow a quick phone call in and the guy was able to put me directly in the application queue over the phone. So definitely something to check as that could have taken them quite a while to resolve on their own.

Now today ( Feb 1 ) I have started getting emails saying my character declaration and my work experience record has been accepted and my references have been sent the questionnaire. I didn't expect to get to this step until the summer by the way people were talking.

That's pretty fricken fast if I say so myself so maybe they have churned through the backlog?
    Last edited by killramos; 02-01-2017 at 03:18 PM.

fact.

Based on what friends have said recently I would expect 3-6 months till you get your letters unless there are issues.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I honestly have no expectations, hard to be disappointed that way lol.

The letters literally mean nothing to me right now I just wanted to get the application in while I can still expense it.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The letters behind your name don't matter much for performing most jobs, or for betting promotions, but they are extremely handy when you are applying for jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Put in my application this morning, out of my hands now. Went 3 levels up the chain of command for one of my summer jobs before getting fed up and just getting someone who was more peripheral to sign off that I was there and that sounds like about what i was doing. We will see how it goes. I keep pretty close contact with most of my former coworkers but never really clicked with anyone while in that role, they all mostly seemed like having students in their group was a nuisance. Which we probably were...

In particular my old manager there won't return my emails despite getting in contact with him through a mutual friend. Maybe it had something to do with him being let go while i was working for him

Oh well, clock starts today. For anyone's interest I will try to come back to this post and give updates to my timeline as they come. I have 2 references by snail mail ( layoffs are a bitch ).
    edit: So updates on this for anyone who is interested on current timing, all others just ignore:

About 2 days after putting ( Jan 22 ) in my application i checked my status that was saying my academic records were missing, which was stupid since I'm already a registered EIT. Anyhow a quick phone call in and the guy was able to put me directly in the application queue over the phone. So definitely something to check as that could have taken them quite a while to resolve on their own.

Now today ( Feb 1 ) I have started getting emails saying my character declaration and my work experience record has been accepted and my references have been sent the questionnaire. I didn't expect to get to this step until the summer by the way people were talking.

That's pretty fricken fast if I say so myself so maybe they have churned through the backlog?

I have also been assigned to a coordinator and everything outstanding is being live tracked on the website.
    Last edited by killramos; 02-01-2017 at 03:33 PM.

fact.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast