Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Peurto Rico files insolvency.

Author
Thread
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

Peurto Rico files insolvency. quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/06/...xiety.html?_r=0

On Wednesday they declared they are broke. They cannot declare Chapter 9 bankruptcy because technically they are only an United States territory and not a true state.

They will probably not pay back anywhere between $74 and $120 Billion owed to their creditors.

What gets me though is: "American citizens whose per capita income is about $15,000 but who pay $6.25 for a gallon of milk and have an 11.5 percent sales tax."

They actually pay more for milk than Canadians, that is downright crazy. Its also a stern warning to anyone who says we should join the US as a "territory" as a trial run - If you want to pay $8 for four litres of milk and get paid $19,000 Cdn per year - that is the reality of being a US territory.

Last edited by ZenOps on 05-08-2017 at 02:59 AM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-08-2017 02:23 AM
ZenOps is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

ee2k

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Your statement about being a territory is a stretch. I don't think it's any different than say Mississippi in terms of per capita income (around $20000.) What you have here is an island that will not get all the benefits that all other states would receive in such circumstances. Its geographic location among others do not give it the ability to recover like what other states could.

As far as its statehood is concerned, it's really a place that's been colonized by the US and there is not much being done for it. It's like adopting a kid and showing and reminding them that they are different than your own.

Old Post 05-08-2017 04:53 PM
ee2k is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ee2k Click here to Send ee2k a Private Message Find more posts by ee2k Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

http://www.valuewalk.com/2017/02/americas-tax-haven/

Old Post 05-08-2017 08:37 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri...e_United_States

Hard to say if the USA will pay the bill if they end up asking for Billions of dollars. Technically, the US could just say - No we are not going to bail you out - you must garnish the wages of everyone until they are 65, and then take their pensions too.

There are four different classifications of non-statehood. I personally always thought it was an unincorporated state, but Wiki seems to classify it as a member of the US commonwealth (which is completely different than the British commonwealth)

What does not go in Puerto Rico's favour, is that many of the unincorporated islands have been testing grounds for nuclear weaponry.

I will be watching this one very closely as I have a working theory that *only* white people truly ever get to declare bankruptcy, everyone else does eventually have to pay back their debts.

Last edited by ZenOps on 05-08-2017 at 11:21 PM

Old Post 05-08-2017 10:10 PM
ZenOps is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:

quote:

TYT very accurate and informative on this one.

Old Post 05-11-2017 02:15 PM
BandW

What I drive: B&W M3
Posts/Day: 0.01
User Rating: 100%

quote:

The Federal Reserve should just buy the distressed debt with money created out of thin air. Problem solved.

Old Post 05-11-2017 03:49 PM
BandW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BandW Click here to Send BandW a Private Message Find more posts by BandW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:10 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Peurto Rico files insolvency.

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: