Quantcast
Pool Table: Whats good? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool Table: Whats good?

Default Pool Table: Whats good?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 04:13 PM.

My Ride
    Busa

There are lots of options.

Size:

There are three sizes, 7', 8' and 9'. Generally I recommend 7' tables. This is what everyone is familiar with at the bars, they don't require as much space and your guests will have trouble with a 9'. The type of game you play is a big factor in what size of table you should get. 8-ball is usually played on a 7', and rotation games (9-ball, 10-ball) are played on a 9'. Of course you can play any game on any table, but generally that's how it goes. I would stay away from 8' tables, they're not used in anything competitive.

Manufacturer:

The best tables around are Diamond tables. In North America this is what most of the pro events use. They're quite pricey at $6.5k new, but as luck would have it, there is a guy on facebook selling a bunch out in Brooks. Used once for a tournament, comes with the light, $5k. That's still too rich for my blood, but if you are interested I'll put you in touch with him.

The next best option is a Valley bar box. With new felt and rubber you can get these playing good. You can usually find one in decent shape for $1k. If you wait until April, SML clears out their refurbished stock for $1350 including delivery. Kijiji is a good source, and so is the calgary pool facebook group.

The fancier tables are lowest on the totem pole. Generally speaking, these tables are cheaply made and use a floating rail design. This design means the rails are attached to the slate, instead of the frame. It's not ideal and not very rigid. With these types of tables you often run into problems when people lean on the edge to make a shot. Since the rail is supported by the slate and not the frame, the weight is put on the slate which can cause cracking and lifting at the seams between the slate pieces. Another big problem is that the rails need to be perfectly square to play correctly. Since the rails are not rigidly connected to the frame there's often a great deal of play in their alignment. It takes a fair bit of effort to properly square the rails and unless you specifically ask for it, your table mechanic won't even bother. This means the balls will come off the rail at a slightly off angle. And lastly these tables tend to get out of level quickly due to the slate moving slightly when people lean on it.

If you decide to go with a 9', Gold Crown III's can be found for under $2k. With new cloth and rubber they play great.

I lucked out. My wife found a table on kijiji for my birthday. Not sure what brand, but it was a 3 piece, 1" slate table. 4 1/2 x 9'. And got if for $1200. I went and picked it up from the previous owner. Took it apart and transported it home.
    I hired Calgary Billiards to come and set it up, level it, put it all together. I think that cost me around $300. It's a very tight table...side pockets are not very forgiving. Great for when I play on a bar table, as now the side pockets look like a basketball hoop. But it's given us many good years of use.

Last edited by C_Dave45; 10-04-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Default Re: Pool Table: Whats good?

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Anybody know what a decent home pool table brand is, or had experience grabbing one off Kijiji?

When I was a young rebellious teen, I spent a lot of time down at pool halls playing on old Vally coin operated tables; not unlike this one:

However now, they look like of well... not very nice. Kind of looking for something a little more upscale, maybe a 4x8 table as well.

I saw one like this... which looked pretty cool

... however price tag is 10-15K

Any recommendations?
    Yes.

Don't trust people who post shit that is some sort of "He Man", misguided answer.

[BDave, your table setup looks pretty sweet. What brand of table did you end up going with? [/B]
    Oh I don't think it's anything high end. I think the kid originally paid around $4 or $5k for it, and that was about a dozen years ago. I bought it in '04.

I knew I wanted slate though, not plywood, and wanted 1" slate, not 3/4" or 7/8th's". So that's what I looked for. Also solid wood rails, which this one has.

It needs re-felting now though. But still has been a good purchase. Lots of money has passed over that table. It's a good distraction for those "early-outers" at my poker tournaments.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

^^ yeah, I have taken a few dollars on that table Dave, and it is a nice one.

But yeah, get 1" slate, best surface period. Plywood tables are absolute SHIT. I guarantee, if you get a plywood table, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Those Valley tables are awesome. And if you can fit it into the room, those are the best bang for the buck.

I used to play pool A LOT, and was ranked as a professional at one point (that means fuck all really), and unless you are going to be playing and competing at a high caliber, the valley table is your best bet.

Last time I checked, Southern Music was selling them for about $3600, but it is probably way cheaper than that. These were used units, that they refurbished, and did not include the money slot, and that was about 12 years ago, but they are great units. I had a few friends buy them.

http://www.smlentertainment.com/

bottom left area of the page, and it looks like you will have to call them.
    Last edited by spikerS; 10-04-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

If you want a challenge, try playing on a regulation snooker table. Heritage park has one...6x12'. Talk about a lot of green!! Trying to grab that opposite corner pocket...it's like looking across a soccer field!

Fun table to play on though.

My Ride
    Busa

Wow, lots of good info UndrgroundRider, thanks!

The area I have for a pool table is about 14' x 16'-8" with a power hookup for pool light right in the centre, so I should be able to accommodate a little bit larger table. I personally like how a 4x8 table feels for game play, larger tables start to be too big of a playing area.

Dave, your table setup looks pretty sweet. What brand of table did you end up going with?
    That area is too small for an 8' table. The playing surface is 45"x90". Normal cue length is 57"-59". Backstroke is roughly 4". That means you need ((57+4)*2)+90=212"=17.67' for the longest dimension of the room. You could make it work but you will be bumping the wall if you're shooting from the short rails.

That's one reason to stick with a 7'. Another one is that 8-ball on an 8' table is a fairly different game than on a 7'. If you ever get into league/tournaments you will be kicking yourself. On an 8' and 9' table there tends to be less clusters which actually simplifies the game quite a bit. Usually the longer distances don't make that much of an impact in 8-ball because there are so many options to shoot at.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    I lucked out. My wife found a table on kijiji for my birthday. Not sure what brand, but it was a 3 piece, 1" slate table. 4 1/2 x 9'. And got if for $1200. I went and picked it up from the previous owner. Took it apart and transported it home.
    I hired Calgary Billiards to come and set it up, level it, put it all together. I think that cost me around $300. It's a very tight table...side pockets are not very forgiving. Great for when I play on a bar table, as now the side pockets look like a basketball hoop. But it's given us many good years of use.

Nice setup Dave!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

There's no way the first one is slate. You have to take it apart in pieces
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

my $0.02, get a valley table. They even come to your house, deliver it, and set it up for you.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    There's no way the first one is slate. You have to take it apart in pieces
    Not true at all. If you take the rails off then yes it would be in pieces. Only the legs are off. Dufferin is a very reputable brand and I'd guess that is a slate table. I'd take a Dufferin over a Valley.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by roopi

Not true at all. If you take the rails off then yes it would be in pieces. Only the legs are off. Dufferin is a very reputable brand and I'd guess that is a slate table. I'd take a Dufferin over a Valley.
    ummm, Dufferin was never a reputable brand, unless you mean their reputation was for making mediocre quality at best that you way over paid for...

There is a reason they went under, and quickly too.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    I hired Calgary Billiards to come and set it up, level it, put it all together. I think that cost me around $300. It's a very tight table...side pockets are not very forgiving. Great for when I play on a bar table, as now the side pockets look like a basketball hoop. But it's given us many good years of use. ]
    You're obliviously a DIY guy, but good call on getting the table set up professionally. I'm amazed you took the time to take it apart and transport it without cracking the slate.

Default Re: Pool Table: Whats good?

Anybody know what a decent home pool table brand is, or had experience grabbing one off Kijiji?

When I was a young rebellious teen, I spent a lot of time down at pool halls playing on old Vally coin operated tables; not unlike this one:

However now, they look like of well... not very nice. Kind of looking for something a little more upscale, maybe a 4x8 table as well.

I saw one like this... which looked pretty cool

... however price tag is 10-15K

Any recommendations?
    I might be wrong on this, but just a center support only works well in pictures.

My Ride
    Busa

I was thinking about this one, it is already dismantled so it would be easier to pick up, plus the price seems alright:
    In my opinion, once you move away from 1-piece slate and go to a floating rail design then they're all pretty much the same. Just got with whatever looks best to you.

A few things to check on when you go to look at these cheaper tables:

- Crawl under the table and look at the slate for any cracks. Most of those tables will be split into 3 equal pieces. The split lines will be completely straight. If there are any jaggy crack lines elsewhere, stay away.

- Make sure the table has diamonds. Lots of cheaper ones don't.

- Thicker slate tends to be better, but 3/4" and larger is fine. If you go down to 1/2" you run the risk of sags.

- Absolutely hire a pro to disassemble and reassemble the table. It's an art and if you do it yourself the table will play like shit. You need a machinist level to reassemble the table anyway. A carpenters level will not work. Stretching the felt when you assemble it is tricky and the levelling process is an art. You will screw it up, guaranteed.

- Avoid tables that use small balls. All pool balls are 2.25" in diameter. Lots of tables have smaller pockets and use smaller snooker-style balls. It won't play right and people will hate it.

- Avoid snooker-style pockets. These pockets are rounded and significantly alter the game. They're good for snooker, not for pool.

- Last bit of advice, a ball return is awesome. If you play a lot of pool, walking around to pick up the balls gets old, FAST.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast