Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Proposed changes to Maternity Leave

Author
Thread
sabad66
Second Gear

What I drive: 2013 Q5
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (77)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Why does Hitempguy hate women so much? Curious if you have ever had a serious girlfriend? You don't have to answer because I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is.

My opinion on this is that it's a good idea to have the option of 12 or 16 months. We have one on the way and will be thinking about this over the next little while... if I am still working my same job we should be able to get by with the lower payments but if I switch companies and take a pay cut we would probably go with 12 months

The other indirect benefit to this is that the extra 6 months off for the parent = 6 extra months on the temp's contract. In a shitty economy/ future automated economy, I think this will keep more employable (not on mat leave) employed

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-24-2017 09:30 PM
sabad66 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sabad66 Click here to Send sabad66 a Private Message Find more posts by sabad66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Crazyjoker77
Neutral

What I drive: toyotas, mitsu, and a ford
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I took 13weeks of parental leave concurrent with my GF taking her mat leave only because I found out my employer offers what they call a parental allowance. I've never heard of a program like this before and not sure if any other employers even offer something like it but the extension would of cost my employer 1000s more if I decided to take the full amount of time.

The parental allowance in my case is that I go on parental leave and collect EI. I submit the ei slips and the employer tops me up to 93% of my usual 2 week salary. (although it works out to be about the same because I don't have to pay a bunch of deductions out of it.)

Considering my top up payments were 3x-4x the maximum EI benefit this would be a massive cost for them.

If it wasn't for the top up payments I would of never even considered taking the time off and because I didn't find out about the program for quite some time and the fact my kid was born really premature I left without much notice. My position requires a certain security clearance that takes months to put someone through the process so they had to put someone in the position that already had the clearance but didn't really have a clue what the job entails and as such there were certain mandatory compliance things that got overlooked and ultimately costs 1000s in fines.

Ironically I always though you should only be entitled to as much time off as you give notice.(therefore a theoretical maximum of 9months)

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-24-2017 10:46 PM
Crazyjoker77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Crazyjoker77 Click here to Send Crazyjoker77 a Private Message Visit Crazyjoker77's homepage! Find more posts by Crazyjoker77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:01 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Proposed changes to Maternity Leave

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: