Quantcast
Pulled Pork Recipes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulled Pork Recipes

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Default Pulled Pork Recipes

How do you guys make your pulled pork? Here's a recipe I use, featuring Root Beer, in a slow cooker.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-pulled-pork/

It's very simple, only 2-3 ingredients and taste's decent. I spice it up by rubbing the pork with spices ahead of time. I find 8 hours is a good cooking time. I serve on fresh bakery buns with a light layer of Cole Slaw.

Anyone else? I'd love to try some new techniques. Wish I had a smoker.

My Ride
    M3P

That one sounds pretty good, I'll have to try it out thanks!

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Never tried to make one in a slow cooker, but I will give you my recipe.

BTW, you can by an El Cheapo Brinkman (ECB) bullet smoker from bass pro for under $60 and does great for pulled pork, even in the winter.

~8-9lbs pork butt
    2-3 cups of apple juice
    Liquid honey
    Cumin
    brown sugar
    paprika
    powdered black pepper
    cayenne
    salt

put the apple juice in a small sauce pan and reduce it

in a bowl, mix the dry ingredients to taste

Take a injection syringe and pump as much of the apple juice reduction into the pork butt as possible

Take the liquid honey, and slather the outside of the pork butt, and then rub the dry ingredients into the shoulder, creating a dry crust.

In the ECB, put some lump charcoal in the bottom pan, and mix some apple juice and water to put in the water / drip pan. Place the prepared pork butt on the top wire rack. put some of the apple juice / water mixture into a spray bottle as well.

Let the smoking process begin, and mist the pork shoulder every 45mins to an hour. cooking time should be about 8 -9 hours. Keep the temp in the smoker between 200-235 degrees F, and you can stop when you get an internal temp on the shoulder of 180 to 190 F, you can remove it from the smoker.

At this point, I like to wrap the shoulder in tinfoil and plastic wrap, and then in a couple towels for about an hour to let it rest. I like to wrap it tightly so the meat relaxes a bit.

Unwrap, shred with a couple forks, and enjoy the best pulled pork you have ever had.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

spikers, I hear baygirl has a good pork pulling technique?

But on a serious note, I've done this recipe you posted and thought it was pretty good:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-pulled-pork/

I quite like that website.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Spikers, my gawd, that sounds amazing. Smoker is officially at the top of my WANTS.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

The slow cooker root beer one is awesome. Just make sure you use a slow cooker with a low temp setting (not keep warm). The first time I tried it, we did it in a slow cooker with only an on/off setting. While it was decent, it certainly wasn't anything to write home about. The low temp setting is crucial.

Also, put a rub on the pork. then put it in the root beer low temp slow cooker. MUCH MUCH better.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by natejj
    Spikers, my gawd, that sounds amazing. Smoker is officially at the top of my WANTS.
    Here is a Pic of an ECB that you can get at bass pro for like $55

and here is a pork butt I did in the middle of winter

and after letting it rest, just before I shredded it.

Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

I hereby post my slow-cooker pulled pork recipe, to which I have had great success:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using about a 3 - 4lb pork shoulder or boston butt roast, (rule of thumb is ¾ - 1lb per person), trimmed of bone and fat, if present.

Basic marinade and breakdown sauce:

* 250ml of apple cider vinegar
    * 200ml worcestershire sauce
    * 1 tblspoon of paprika
    * 1 tblspoon of mustard powder or seeds
    * 1 tblspoon of garlic powder
    * Salt and pepper to taste
    * 1 large, diced onion (red is the variety I use)
    * 1/3 small can of tomato paste
    * 1/2c brown sugar

To the above, add whatever ‘flavour’ to it, as examples:

* 2 cups of ketchup, bbq sauce, honey mustard, chilli sauce, etc.
    * Chilli flakes, turmeric, chilli powder, etc., to taste.

Mix well and put aside.

Stab roast with knife multiple times to create small pockets. If desired, fill some pockets with garlic cloves and peppercorns. If you have the time, you can dry-rub the powder ingredients, and sear the sides of the roast on a frying pan prior to slow cooking.

Place roast in large ziplock bag and pour marinade over top. Seal bag and allow to sit for a day or so in the refrigerator. Turn roast every so often so that all the meat is exposed to the marinade.

Place in slow cooker. Pour about ½ of the marinade over top of the roast, and cover with lid and aluminum foil or dish towel. Keep the remaining marinade for later.

Allow 8 hours slow cooker time, turn roast in cooker and baste every 2-3 hours. The longer it goes, the better it is. Add additional marinade if desired after the first 3-4 hours. (A frozen roast will yield more moisture than a fresh one).

When the roast flakes apart easily with a fork, it is done.

Remove roast and place in a large bowl. Using 2 forks, shred the meat until it is all apart. Remove fat and bone if it is there.

Add additional flavouring (as above) and a small amount of the marinade sauce and mix with meat to moisten.

Marinade sauce alone can also be used as dipping sauce. Serve with potato salad or cole slaw and a cold beer.

Enjoy!

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

spikers, I hear baygirl has a good pork pulling technique?

How did I miss this?

I wouldn't know, yet...

But she has various other techniques in the kitchen that are delightful...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Spikers, how long have you been smoking for? And was it hard to learn how to do it? I've been wanting to pick up a smoker for a while now so I can learn how to do some recipes like pulled pork, briskets, ribs. But it seems like it would take a while to learn and become proficient at. That pulled pork looks amazing! What else besides the pork do you smoke?
    PSN: DeceitfulWings
    XBL: DeceitfulWings

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

been doing it for a couple years now, and honestly it is quite easy to do, it is just time intensive. I smoke everything from pulled pork, to ribs, to briskets to whole chickens and turkeys. Basically, anything you could do on a LP or NG grille, you can do on a smoker, and with better results.

as for the smokers, they can be as cheap as the ECB I was talking about earlier for about $55, to Big Green Eggs (ceramic) at $1200+ to full trailers in the $10,000+ range.

I would recommend to start with an ECB, just to get the fundamentals down, and decide if you like doing it. If you do, then I would say invest a bit of money in a good smoker. The webber smokey mountain Link is a good bullet smoker and is very good quality and produces very good results and can maintain a pretty consistent temperature. The webber runs around the $600-$900 mark, depending on the model you want. The whole mantra of smoking is "Low and slow", referring to low temperature and slow cooking times.

If you want, an offset smoker can be a good compromise, letting you combine a traditional grille with a smoker box. Using one of these can allow you do ditch your current LP and NG grille, and use the offset smoker setup to cook everything. Char Griller Pro I have one of these, and it is pretty good. I just put an aluminum pan inside when I am smoking as a water tray, and raise up the opposite side from the firebox so that heat will flow into the smoking chamber easier. The Char griller pro that I use was under $300.

The big green egg is a pretty big favorite among the smoking crowd. Big Green Egg It does a fantastic job due to the insulation qualities of the ceramic shell, but it does not lend itself to being moved much, as the ceramic shell can crack quite easily. An alternate to the big green egg is the Big steel keg. Big steel keg Same qualities of the Egg, but more robust, and can be moved with out having to worry about damaging it as much. The egg usually runs around the $1200 mark, and the Keg around $800.

I always like to use lump charcoal, it burns much cleaner, but at times can be hard to maintain a constant temperature. Others like to use charcoal briquettes, They burn at a pretty constant temperature, but have all kinds of additives in them to keep their shape.

After that, you need your smoking wood. you can either get it is chips, disks or logs, and it comes down to your preference. I like to completely submerge my smoking wood in water for at least an hour before putting it onto the hot coals. Doing so allows the wood to smoke without burning for awhile, and the whole idea of adding this, is for the wood smoke to penetrate your meat, adding flavor. The more smoke you can get your meat to absorb, the better it will taste. Pretty much any hard wood will do for smoking wood, but fruit trees are a big favorite, as is misquite, and hickory.

If you want to know more, let me know.
    Last edited by spikerS; 02-09-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

I am a Pulled Pork slow cooker kind of guy, well until my spring purchase of a Big Green Egg or maybe the Big Stell Keg (thanks spikers.... I did not know it existed).

I have had this version of Pulled Pork, it might be my top three death row (final meal) meals:

http://barbecuesecrets.libsyn.com/we...water_coleslaw

I find the buns and coleslaw to be as important as the meat really.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

That looks amazing spikers, I've been wanting to get into a smoker for a long time. One of my buddies does it all summer long and his stuff is always amazing.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by spikers
    been doing it for a couple years now, and honestly it is quite easy to do, it is just time intensive. I smoke everything from pulled pork, to ribs, to briskets to whole chickens and turkeys. Basically, anything you could do on a LP or NG grille, you can do on a smoker, and with better results.

as for the smokers, they can be as cheap as the ECB I was talking about earlier for about $55, to Big Green Eggs (ceramic) at $1200+ to full trailers in the $10,000+ range.

I would recommend to start with an ECB, just to get the fundamentals down, and decide if you like doing it. If you do, then I would say invest a bit of money in a good smoker. The webber smokey mountain Link is a good bullet smoker and is very good quality and produces very good results and can maintain a pretty consistent temperature. The webber runs around the $600-$900 mark, depending on the model you want. The whole mantra of smoking is "Low and slow", referring to low temperature and slow cooking times.

If you want, an offset smoker can be a good compromise, letting you combine a traditional grille with a smoker box. Using one of these can allow you do ditch your current LP and NG grille, and use the offset smoker setup to cook everything. Char Griller Pro I have one of these, and it is pretty good. I just put an aluminum pan inside when I am smoking as a water tray, and raise up the opposite side from the firebox so that heat will flow into the smoking chamber easier. The Char griller pro that I use was under $300.

The big green egg is a pretty big favorite among the smoking crowd. Big Green Egg It does a fantastic job due to the insulation qualities of the ceramic shell, but it does not lend itself to being moved much, as the ceramic shell can crack quite easily. An alternate to the big green egg is the Big steel keg. Big steel keg Same qualities of the Egg, but more robust, and can be moved with out having to worry about damaging it as much. The egg usually runs around the $1200 mark, and the Keg around $800.

I always like to use lump charcoal, it burns much cleaner, but at times can be hard to maintain a constant temperature. Others like to use charcoal briquettes, They burn at a pretty constant temperature, but have all kinds of additives in them to keep their shape.

After that, you need your smoking wood. you can either get it is chips, disks or logs, and it comes down to your preference. I like to completely submerge my smoking wood in water for at least an hour before putting it onto the hot coals. Doing so allows the wood to smoke without burning for awhile, and the whole idea of adding this, is for the wood smoke to penetrate your meat, adding flavor. The more smoke you can get your meat to absorb, the better it will taste. Pretty much any hard wood will do for smoking wood, but fruit trees are a big favorite, as is misquite, and hickory.

If you want to know more, let me know.
    Good info Spikers, If I do end up getting a smoker at some point I'm sure I'll have some more questions. Maybe when the Spring hits and beyond starts breaking out the smokers we can form a dedicated thread for it!
    PSN: DeceitfulWings
    XBL: DeceitfulWings

I started smoking last summer as well. I picked up the Brinkman smoke king deluxe.

I don't really like this style. I had to do a few mods to it to make it work decent. One of them was build a charcoal box to hold more charcoal and hold it up away from the bottom so the ash doesn't choke off the fire. I use a TON of charcoal with this thing and have trouble getting the temp up to where it needs to be. I also have to 'babysit' the thing all day, so I love to smoke and sit in my yard all day and drink beers but it's rather time consuming.

I want the Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker, I've heard it is really good and being the bullet style heat shouldn't be a problem.

For pulled pork, I've done shoulder 'roasts' from superstore (about 3 to 4 lbs maybe) and i found they didn't have much smoke flavor. I think maybe because the smaller roast is in the smoker for less time. I smoke until internal temp is 160 then foil it, add apple juice and put in oven until internal temp is 205. Doing this is like brazing it and it is pretty tender after.

Could go on and on about smoking lol If you want to learn then check out this site SmokingMeatForums.com

Spikers, Where do you get the full boston butts from?? Like I said I've only seen the shoulder roasts but I'd like to try and full shoulder and cook it 100% in the smoker. I also want to try a brisket this year.
    Also, do you have a source for hardwood logs?

btw, Lowes had a propane smoker for about $150 last summer that would prob work pretty good

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I get my meats from a couple of places, but my favorite place for a good full sized pork shoulder is from Regina's in the croosroads flea market. She has the best meats at the best prices, bar NONE! She also has briskets and whole chickens, and the quality is top notch, and the price is reasonable.

I used to like Bon Ton meat market near foothills, but they have jacked the prices horrendously, and so I haven't been there in a very long time. And I try to steer people away from there too. There is also another place I have heard some good things about on Bowness road in Montgomery. Problem is they have some weird hours, and every time I tried to check them out, they were closed... I think they are called alberta king of meats or something, can't remember though.

As for smoking logs or chips, i just get them from BBQs galore. There are a few people on Kijiji selling apple wood and others, but they are pretty expensive, and want to sell it by the half cord, which would last me my entire lifetime for smoking purposes...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by spikers

Here is a Pic of an ECB that you can get at bass pro for like $55

Just bought this today, can't wait to use it over long weekend. Probably do a beef brisket for the first time.

Lol I'd suggest starting with a chicken or ribs the first time. U should.also ' season' it. Basically u fire it up and bring it up to 350- 400 and run it like that a couple hrs. The u should try running it at your cook temp @230 deg.F. U need to know how much charcoal and intake vent position to run at that temp stable. Leave u'r exhaust vent fully open usually.

charcoal smoking is alot trickier than u might think.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by nonofyobiz
    Lol I'd suggest starting with a chicken or ribs the first time. U should.also ' season' it. Basically u fire it up and bring it up to 350- 400 and run it like that a couple hrs. The u should try running it at your cook temp @230 deg.F. U need to know how much charcoal and intake vent position to run at that temp stable. Leave u'r exhaust vent fully open usually.

charcoal smoking is alot trickier than u might think.
    good advise on other smokers, but that ECB does not have any vents. it is pretty much designed for 220-240 on it's own.

I would start with a pork shoulder, as it's size does not lend itself to a brisket. Or try doing a beer can chicken on it.

Once you get good at those 2, then I would move on to briskets, they are pretty expensive, and can be quite large.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Good advice, start small.

I'll be seasoning it tonight. I already have the basic mods like putting the legs on the outside, handles on the grills and rope around the lid.

Couldn't find a little grill to lift the coals off the bottom of the pan, or a replacement thermometer at Home Depot last night. Maybe check Rona tonight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast