Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Quiet Garage Door Opener Recommendations?

Author
Thread
never
FKA no|uno

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Who installed it for you?

If you look at the installation manual, you'll see it's pretty easy if you have any mechanical ability.

Put two in at a buddy's place and it was simple.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:42 PM
never is offline Click Here to See the Profile for never Click here to Send never a Private Message Find more posts by never Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

riced
First Gear

What I drive: 2014 Scion FRS
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Who installed it for you?

My brother-in-law did it in about 2 hours. Since a lot of the existing wiring was already in place, it's just replacing old with new more or less.
To "never's" point - if you've done anything mechanical then it ends up being pretty straightforward.

Old Post 05-10-2017 04:54 PM
riced is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riced Click here to Send riced a Private Message Visit riced's homepage! Find more posts by riced Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyL
Second Gear

What I drive: 4x4
Posts/Day: 0.48
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Mechanically it's straight forward - collar is the hardest part (next to drilling the Lock solenoid and not stripping the screws on install).

But the doors got to be right for it to work, its much less forgiving when it comes to balance and binding.

Old Post 05-10-2017 06:30 PM
AndyL is online now Click Here to See the Profile for AndyL Click here to Send AndyL a Private Message Find more posts by AndyL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LilDrunkenSmurf
Fourth Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 1.06
Trader Rating: (42)

quote:

Originally posted by never

If you look at the installation manual, you'll see it's pretty easy if you have any mechanical ability.

Put two in at a buddy's place and it was simple.

I'm mostly just looking for a local installer to replace my chain-drive with a side mount, since AndyL doesn't do it anymore.
I want to change/upgrade/replace the door with one that goes all the way to the roof, so I can eventually get that car lift goodness in.

Old Post 05-10-2017 09:35 PM
LilDrunkenSmurf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LilDrunkenSmurf Click here to Send LilDrunkenSmurf a Private Message Find more posts by LilDrunkenSmurf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blownz
First Gear

What I drive: F10
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

I have this one (although older without the wifi) and it is very quiet:

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-home...ies/model-8550w

The battery backup has actually come in handy a few times when the power has been out. I remember one time in particular I was coming home around 5:30pm and the power was out and a bunch of people in the crescent were parked on their driveways and chatting and I drove by and opened my garage and drove in. I had everyone on my driveway by the time I got out of the car to see how I got in. lol

And basically anything with a belt will be way better. Also try to get a one piece beam (not sure what the term is...) as opposed to several pieces bolted together. It seems to cut down on noise. It is best IMO to get the opener from a actual overhead door place instead of Home Depot as they just have the retail ones in the box.

Old Post 05-10-2017 09:50 PM
blownz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blownz Click here to Send blownz a Private Message Find more posts by blownz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 05:59 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Quiet Garage Door Opener Recommendations?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: