Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Replace or rebuild transmission?

Author
Thread
carson blocks
First Gear

What I drive: Leaks oil and is slower than taking the bus.
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Anywhere. Shit, I got a 250 count pack of various sizes from Princess Auto for like $5

This is something everyone should have handy for general automotive and household repairs.

Originally posted by heavyfuel
like fuck if I ever want a toy that has an engine. Bikes, sleds, quads, no fuckin way. I much prefer to get on a mountain bike and earn it like a man. Real toys don't have engines. "Motor" and "sport" should never be associated with each other if you ask me.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-13-2017 04:29 PM
carson blocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carson blocks Click here to Send carson blocks a Private Message Find more posts by carson blocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Abeo
First Gear

What I drive: KTM200XCW/S13/4WD/Daily
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 110%

quote:

A speed sensor from pick n pull is $10. Look for one that isn't leaky, pull it, and even if you have to replace the o-ring you have the sensor in hand while still being able to drive the crv.

Also, taking the sensor out of a junker vehicle gives you practice before working on your own vehicle. If you mess up, you don't pay for it plus you learn.

Old Post 04-13-2017 04:34 PM
Abeo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Abeo Click here to Send Abeo a Private Message Find more posts by Abeo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.23
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I'd be curious who actually "rebuilds" transmissions in Calgary vs replacing them with refurb units. From my experiences with my Camaro, no one has the tools for a Borg Warner T-56. When I wore out some gears in my Mustang, the only solution was for the Trans shop to replace it. Pretty bogus

Old Post 04-13-2017 04:53 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jabjab
Neutral

What I drive: TT
Posts/Day: 0.18
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by Abeo
A speed sensor from pick n pull is $10. Look for one that isn't leaky, pull it, and even if you have to replace the o-ring you have the sensor in hand while still being able to drive the crv.

Also, taking the sensor out of a junker vehicle gives you practice before working on your own vehicle. If you mess up, you don't pay for it plus you learn.

Brilliant idea! Which wrecks has this part? Never been to the wreckers for parts

Old Post 04-13-2017 05:48 PM
jabjab is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jabjab Click here to Send jabjab a Private Message Find more posts by jabjab Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I'd be curious who actually "rebuilds" transmissions in Calgary vs replacing them with refurb units. From my experiences with my Camaro, no one has the tools for a Borg Warner T-56. When I wore out some gears in my Mustang, the only solution was for the Trans shop to replace it. Pretty bogus

I wouldn't want one to rebuild a transmission outside of a transmission rebuilder. I would trust a remanufactured one one rebuilt inside a transmission shop anyday.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 04-13-2017 05:51 PM
dirtsniffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Abeo
First Gear

What I drive: KTM200XCW/S13/4WD/Daily
Posts/Day: 0.16
User Rating: 110%

quote:

Originally posted by jabjab

Brilliant idea! Which wrecks has this part? Never been to the wreckers for parts

http://www.picknpull.com/check_inve...amp;Distance=20

Also,

http://www.bucksautoparts.com/calgary/Inventory.aspx

Take a look at your CRV to see what tools you need to bring.

I've had some really good days out at the wreckers

Old Post 04-13-2017 06:05 PM
Abeo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Abeo Click here to Send Abeo a Private Message Find more posts by Abeo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Second Gear

What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.23
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I wouldn't want one to rebuild a transmission outside of a transmission rebuilder. I would trust a remanufactured one one rebuilt inside a transmission shop anyday.

I hear you, but it sure sucks having to have an entire transmission replaced because of a couple of worn out gears. Why can't they install upgraded parts inside a manual trans? It must be rocket science. Because it's all about get it in and out and f the customer , that's why

Old Post 04-13-2017 06:30 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carson blocks
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I hear you, but it sure sucks having to have an entire transmission replaced because of a couple of worn out gears. Why can't they install upgraded parts inside a manual trans? It must be rocket science. Because it's all about get it in and out and f the customer , that's why

Transmission rebuilders seem to specialize in automatics. I think they just don't have the experience or want the hassle of dealing with a manual. The manual is a simpler beast by far, but such a vastly different device and a different skillset needed by their techs that I doubt they want to get involved. The good news is the few specialized tools you need are available cheaply online and they're a simple enough beast with far less specialty tools and knowledge needed to reassemble correctly.

like fuck if I ever want a toy that has an engine. Bikes, sleds, quads, no fuckin way. I much prefer to get on a mountain bike and earn it like a man. Real toys don't have engines. "Motor" and "sport" should never be associated with each other if you ask me.

Old Post 04-13-2017 11:49 PM
carson blocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carson blocks Click here to Send carson blocks a Private Message Find more posts by carson blocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darell_n
First Gear

What I drive: '14 Dodge Crew Cab, '08 WRX
Posts/Day: 0.33
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by carson blocks

Transmission rebuilders seem to specialize in automatics. I think they just don't have the experience or want the hassle of dealing with a manual. The manual is a simpler beast by far, but such a vastly different device and a different skillset needed by their techs that I doubt they want to get involved. The good news is the few specialized tools you need are available cheaply online and they're a simple enough beast with far less specialty tools and knowledge needed to reassemble correctly.

Autos are way easier to rebuild. They are basically a bucket of loose parts stacked in a pyramid like a kids toy and don't require many tools to work on. i.e. A modern Chrysler 4/5/6 speed you need 1 torx bit and a pocket screwdriver to completely disassemble it.

Old Post 04-14-2017 12:16 AM
Darell_n is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darell_n Click here to Send Darell_n a Private Message Visit Darell_n's homepage! Find more posts by Darell_n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carson blocks
First Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Darell_n

Autos are way easier to rebuild. They are basically a bucket of loose parts stacked in a pyramid like a kids toy and don't require many tools to work on. i.e. A modern Chrysler 4/5/6 speed you need 1 torx bit and a pocket screwdriver to completely disassemble it.

I've helped with some auto tranny rebuilds and am still intimidated by autos because they're basically aluminum cases full of sharp bits and a ton of difficult snap rings and I didn't find the operation intuitive once inside. A manual trans I can see and understand, put it in the gears, and identify the crunchy parts by eye and feel. I probably need to sit down with a 4L60, a case of beer, and one of those 'how to rebuild your tranny' books and just get in to it.

Old Post 04-14-2017 02:45 AM
71/454
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Transmission supplies just off Blackfoot is a good place for orings if you need one. Not an automotive trans shop just all kinds of industrial parts.
Don't just put any oring in there as ATF will eat many different rubbers. I would ask them what they would suggest for oring material, of the top of my head I'd say nitrile should work but ask an expert.

Originally posted by InRich
I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

Old Post 04-14-2017 11:14 PM
71/454 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 71/454 Click here to Send 71/454 a Private Message Find more posts by 71/454 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darell_n
First Gear

What I drive: '14 Dodge Crew Cab, '08 WRX
Posts/Day: 0.33
User Rating: 97%

quote:

^ TSL.

Old Post 04-15-2017 02:03 AM
Darell_n is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darell_n Click here to Send Darell_n a Private Message Visit Darell_n's homepage! Find more posts by Darell_n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 12:46 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Replace or rebuild transmission?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: