Quantcast
Review: Jane Bond BBQ - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Review: Jane Bond BBQ

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Review: Jane Bond BBQ

Jane Bond BBQ
    2014 36 Street SE
    Limited parking in the front, additional located in the back.

Website
    Facebook Page
    Menu

I don't usually do food reviews, but I like to give small, local businesses a shoutout when I can.

They opened up about a month ago, though I'm not too sure if they relocated here or expanded from an existing restaurant. (For those of you who remember where Bobby Chao's used to be in Forest Lawn, it's the same location.)

The menu sounded good and they had positive online reviews and since my family works near by, I thought I'd swing by on my day off and split an order for lunch with my sister.

Food rating - 4/5
    My sister and I split the BBQ Parfait (pulled pork) and the Mac N Cheese with brisket (see menu for description).

The first thing we dug into was the Mac N Cheese. And kept digging and digging. Wow, it was good. Very saucy and cheesy with a hint of mustard flavour. Ordering the brisket on top was a nice touch.

The BBQ parfait was good too, but to be completely honest, we were enjoying the Mac N Cheese so much we kind of forgot about the parfait haha! It's a big dense slab of pulled pork, mash potatoes, gravy, cheese, and corn. How could you go wrong?

Their BBQ sauce was really delicious too. It kind of reminds me of a Carolina sauce, but much more milder and not as smokey, which was the complete opposite of what I expected. The jerk sauce did nothing for either of us.

Note: I wouldn't base their presentation on the takeout and the shitty lighting in my photos.

Ambience - 4/5
    It's about what you'd expect from a BBQ place, though cleaner probably because it's still pretty new. The restaurant itself isn't particularly big. There's about half a dozen tables plus seats up at the bar. I'd estimate they could comfortably seat about 40 people and any more and it would get crowded.

Service - 3/5
    My server didn't seem particularly friendly: very straight forward take my order, give me my food, and get out sort of tone. He seemed inconvenienced when I asked him for something to pack their sauces in to try. However my sister has met the owner and she said he's really nice and online reviews suggest the service is good, so don't take my testimony as any gospel. He may have been just pre-occupied as they had just opened up for the day.

Value - 4/5
    The thing that really surprised me were the portions. I totally expected food truck sizes at the price (which happened to be parked out front), so had they given us half the amount we received, I would have thought nothing of it. In fact, the meal was so filling for both of us, we ended up packing half of it up for leftovers. The BBQ parfait in the picture was packed in a small pho take-out container to give you an idea of the portions.

Also, you get 15% off your order if you do takeout/delivery.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with our meal. I'm usually disappointed when I try these sorts of places unless I'm in the US. I'm a strong believer that food's good in the hood and this place is no exception. I'll definitely be going back to try a few other things that caught my eye on the menu. Next time you're going to Popeye's Chicken, I'd skip it and come here instead as it's only a few blocks away.

My Ride
    Lease

Default Re: Review: Jane Bond BBQ

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    My sister and I
    Thanks for write up, gives me the impression of another "Holy Smoke" kinda competitor/alternative. FYI, it's been common practice to do cleavage shots on Beyond food reviews nowadays tho.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

They previously had a take-out only location, I was there in the summer. (Still in SE area)

I thought all the food was excellent, and the lady at the front was super friendly and even comp'd our drinks due to wait. They have more menu options than Holy Smoke, Id say the food was on par or better with the increased choices.

My Ride
    4x4

I came for the cleavage... I was dissapoint...

Originally posted by AndyL
    I came for the cleavage... I was dissapoint...
    That's TomcoPDR

My Ride
    4x4

Originally posted by sputnik

That's TomcoPDR
    Do we need a Kickstarter to send tomco with you so you can get trained?

Lol

My Ride
    NC1

Good idea. All food reviews require some cleavage shot from now on.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

check groupon too, they have $40 food value for $24.. i will give it a shot when groupon has a 20% off sale as they often do.

funny thing with the groupon is that it is take out only, seems odd, most places coupons are eat in only so they can milk you for drinks and tips...
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Those pics look like the dogs breakfast you generally eat with your eyes first and then taste. Worth a try.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I had Jane Bond BBQ last week. The ribs were delicious!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Had Jane Bond this week. The most moist brisket I ever had and enjoyed it very much. I definitely will go back if I am craving BBQ. Way better than the other offerings this town has to offer.

The best thing there could possibly be the mac and cheese with the brisket.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 01-03-2017 at 12:17 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Really not good. 2.75/5

I'm not sure if they say any of their food is smoked but it's not. This is on me, though, and doesn't reflect in my rating.

Jerk chicken - not much flavour and not spicy
    Brisket - had huge slices of pure fat. Seemed like not much of it was rendered down/trimmed off and it was also cut with the grain... Not flavourful
    Ribs - small portions and not really flavourful
    Parfait - was all right. Mainly because it was saucy and a mishmash of things
    Onion rings/fries - soggy. Should have been boxed separately and not in a closed container

Experience might have been different if we dined in, as it's a nice place but I guess I'll never know.

15% off for takeout was also not honoured - said they're in the process of getting new menus and it no longer applies. But it's still on the menu and should be honoured.

Will not return or recommend it to anyone. Just went to try it out and form my own opinion. The one good thing was that it filled me up.

Was told Hayden Block is better by my two eating companions. I'll have to try that place out.

My Ride
    M3P

If Hayden Block is better than this place it must really suck.

Question.. with those Facebook restaurant reviews.. The person that runs that page can just delete all the bad reviews right?