Quantcast
Review: Las Canarias (Royal Oak) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Review: Las Canarias (Royal Oak)

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Default Review: Las Canarias (Royal Oak)

Las Canarias
    http://www.lascanarias.ca/
    8888 Country Hills Boulevard NW

While visiting my mom in the NW a few weeks ago she suggested that we try this place that had recently opened shop in Royal Oak. There hasn't been a good Spanish restaurant in Calgary since Don Quijote closed down a few years ago so we were stoked to try it out.

Overall rating: 9.6/10
    Food: 9.5/10
    Price: 10/10
    Ambiance: 9/10
    Service: 10/10

Food: 9.5/10
    We are from South America and eat a lot of seafood. We've had excellent paella in many countries around the world, including coastal regions where the catch is fresh. Unfortunately, since La Paella and Don Quijote closed down, there hasn't been a decent paella in Calgary. A lot of places try but fail to deliver due to either serving a very small portion, skimping out on the seafood, or not using real saffron (see my Briggs Kitchen & Bar review). Las Canarias knocks it out of the park on all counts. We've been there twice and have had plenty left to take home both times with their generous serving size. The flavour was very rich and authentic with healthy portions of seafood, and the texture was right on point; probably a result of their use of Bomba rice from Valencia.

Our starters were the patatas bravas (Spanish style potatoes) and blackened beef, and on our previous visit tried the mussels and octopus. All were tastefully prepared, with good textures and rich flavour. Seafood is tricky as it can often be either overdone or slightly underdone, but on both occasions all of the seafood was cooked to perfection.

Price: 10/10
    I've noticed a trend lately where many new restaurants open their doors with prices that are much too high for what they are offering. If you are serving Earl's quality food, you shouldn't be charging Belvedere or Q Haute prices. Usually, a good, authentic paella in Calgary would run you $35+ per person. Las Canarias is about $20 per person and, as mentioned above, the portions are very generous.

Both of the times we've gone have been on Tuesdays which is their 1/2 price wine night. They have a decent selection of $30-40 bottles which, at half price, gets you a terrific three course dinner for two with a bottle of wine <$100. Similar dinner experiences in other comparable restaurants have been >$150.

Ambiance: 9/10
    They have live Spanish guitar on certain nights of the week but we haven't been there for that. The restaurant has been very tastefully renovated with a distinctive Spanish flair. They have dark wooden trestles across the ceiling and stonework on the walls. The music is at the right level to provide good ambient sound but without overpowering the conversation. The lighting is dim with candlelight at the tables.

Service: 10/10
    On both occasions we were served by the owner, Claudio, who is from the Balkans but fluent in Spanish. While the paella takes about 45 minutes (as noted on the menu) since it is prepared fresh, the appetizers arrived promptly and we the service was attentive while not overbearing. Having spoken with him for a little while during our first visit, on our second visit he welcomed us at the door and greeted my mom with a kiss as is traditional in Spain and South America, which I found charming and courteous, and offered me a handshake.

If you like Spanish food or are craving some authentic paella, I would highly recommend paying Las Canarias a visit. Perfect date restaurant.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Yes, I love the paella there. I haven't tried the other main dishes yet because I want the paella every time. One question though, I thought the rice is supposed to be on the raw side. Not that I'm complaining now. It works for me cooked as is.

Sangria is good too. Now I want some paella.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Great review.

Didn't know about this place but will definitely be trying it soon thanks to this.

My Ride
    NC1

Awesome gonna go there tomorrow
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Nice!! been craving a good paella and bravas patatas since coming back from Spain a few months ago. We will definitly give them a try soon.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

The lady there recognizes me now lol. They changed their menu slightly a while ago. Paella is now 20 per person, minimum two. Still very good price as it is loaded. 4 prawns with heads, shrimps, mussels....

If you have problem finding it, it's right by Smash burger and BMO.

Tip: You can pre-order the paella if you have a reservation, as it takes 30-40 minutes.

My Ride
    NC1

^^^Fantastic. I was gonna call them and ask about that.

Which Paella to get? Leaning towards ARROZ + bravas patatas for lunch tomorrow. I am so excited.

PAELLA DE PESCADO Y MARISCOS
    21.50 person
    Seafood and fish paella LF

PAELLA MIXTA
    21.50 person
    Seafood, fish, beef and chicken paella LF

ARROZ NEGRO CON TINTA DE CALAMARES
    24.50 person
    Black rice paella with calamari, prawns and mussels LF
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I always get the seafood because I like seafood. Haven't tried the black rice, they didn't have it before, guess I'll have to get that next time.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Mondays is their tapas and wing night, I found that out the hard way wanting some of that paella action one time. Also make reservations for Friday nights its live music night.

Too bad for the NW... but they moved to 1129 17th AVE SW.
    http://www.lascanarias.ca/

My Ride
    G6

I looked at their menu. Is it really $30 to $42 per person for a payella? While I do love a good payella, that price is excessive for basically a rice dish with a few chunks of seafood/meat here and there. That has to be for 2 people, right??

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

If it is similar to what they served before, it is likely for two people to share with. It says 12"dish, that's quite a bit for one person.