Quantcast
Run 'em or Don't run 'em? >15 yr old tires!?!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Run 'em or Don't run 'em? >15 yr old tires!?!!

Default Run 'em or Don't run 'em? >15 yr old tires!?!!

What's your opinion? I need to pick up a 2000 model yr truck that is about 600km outside of Calgary. I believe the truck has somewhere around 60,000km on it and it's still running it's original tires. Truck was stored indoors from day 1 up until a couple of yrs ago. Tires appear to be in good condition but I know that can be deceiving. Would you drive it back to Calgary as is or find another way to get it home?
    Last edited by ZeeBass; 08-08-2016 at 08:03 PM.

The 16 year old kid who bought my El Camino about a year back drove it for 2 hours back to Picture Butte (near Lethbridge) on Michelin Sport EP-X tires that were bought somewhere around 1986-1987. I personally wouldn't have attempted a 2 hour highway trip on 30 year old tires - don't know if they got home that night as I never heard back from them.
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:03 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I recently had a tire manufactured on the 51st week of 2004 blow out completely on the highway nearly 400km from Calgary. It had minor cracking in the tread blocks and I expected to just run them out until I replace them this coming spring. It was a major inconvenience as my car is AWD and the spare had too much of a diameter difference to make it the rest of the 600km home without damaging the driveline.

It's your risk, I never expected it to happen to me but it did.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

What's your life worth? anything after 10 years goodluck especially if parked in the sun.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    4x4

2000 is around the cusp... If you ask me - tires since don't last as long - old 70/80s/90s RV tires - many are still running to this day - no care or attention... At best they get pumped up before the Roadtrip.

Bring a good fullsize spare and run em till they blow!

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

If I had to drive that car in that situation, I'd stick to 90 km/h, and maybe hit them with an infrared heat gun after the first 20 minutes to see if one of them is heating up.

Highway speed blowouts are no laughing matter.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Up until this year I was using my trailer with 35 year old tires on it. Didnt even realize until I went to get it fixed that it had the original tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'd say 99% chance you will be fine, but I'd still be very wary. That is a long trip to be taking on aging tires, and I believe if it was to give, it would be catastrophic - immediately causing loss of control.

I think RJJ has the right idea. If you're gonna do it, keep the speed down. I'd even say less than 90k; better to take a couple hours longer in your trip than to increase the risk of an accident.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I wouldn't do it but i'm pretty vigilant when it comes to tires. Why cheap out and risk a blow out?
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

This truck sounds like a government vehicle that was up for sale. Good buy for sure if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Originally posted by mr2mike
    This truck sounds like a government vehicle that was up for sale. Good buy for sure if it's the one I'm thinking of.
    Nope - it's been in my family from day 1. It's an S10 that I plan on using as a daily driver for the next couple of years.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by ZeeBass

Nope - it's been in my family from day 1. It's an S10 that I plan on using as a daily driver for the next couple of years.
    In that case why don't you just put new tires on it for the journey since you will be buying them anyways ( i assume DDing on questionable tires is not your plan). Costs you nothing extra, except maybe a trip if you are going to go get the rims first to mount the new tires and bring them back, and doesn't put your safety in question for the sake of getting the truck here a bit sooner. Works even better if you can just buy and mount the new tires wherever the truck actually is as no extra trip.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Serious question.... has anybody ever actually had a blow out on a passenger car? Because I've actually never heard of that happening to anybody I know, ever.

And this is coming from somebody who used to buy tires from the junkyard for $20, then pay another 5$ for mounting with no balancing at all, and run them until they bubbled out between the cords

Really if I bought a car as a casual DD and it had 15 year old tires, so long as they were not cracked, I'd just run them without even worrying about it.
    I've only ever experienced a blowout on a trailer before and that was my own fault - they were passenger tires on a trailer I had just bought. I knew this so I bought brand new trailer tires and had them mounted on new rims the night before I was taking the trailer on it's first trip. Was in a rush and so never got them on that night. Threw them in the back of the truck for the first trip. Blew a tire not even a half hour out of town and I changed both of them out on the side of the road.

As for a passenger vehicle, I've run some gnarly looking tires but that's when I was younger and didn't care as much as I do now - never did have a blowout though. Not sure if tires back then were better or if I had a horse shoe up my ass but I've driven on some that I'd never consider driving on now.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Serious question.... has anybody ever actually had a blow out on a passenger car? Because I've actually never heard of that happening to anybody I know, ever.

And this is coming from somebody who used to buy tires from the junkyard for $20, then pay another 5$ for mounting with no balancing at all, and run them until they bubbled out between the cords

Really if I bought a car as a casual DD and it had 15 year old tires, so long as they were not cracked, I'd just run them without even worrying about it.
    As stated above it happened to me a few weeks ago out in BC. It was a proper blowout too.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:15 PM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I purchased my Pathfinder in 2005. They installed brand new tires before delivery from the dealership. I picked the car up at 72K. Still driving on the same tires, its @ 180K now. Tire tread still at 60% I think. Still looks okay. Drive to Calgary every few months as well. Kinda scurred now after reading this thread. I do have a dedicated winter package so not driving on these year round.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 08-09-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

The truck was just taken into the closest tire shop in the area today and the shop owner said the tires looked fine and do not need to be replaced – he would drive anywhere with them as is. He said they've obviously been stored mostly indoors (he got that part right - truck literally hasn’t spent a night outside from the day it was picked up at the dealership up until a couple yrs ago) and had very little ozone cracking (never heard the ozone reference before today) and even though he is in the business of selling tires he would not suggest replacing them at this time.

This guy has been right before with tires I’ve questioned so I’ve got a bit more confidence now and might attempt the trip now. If so, I still won’t be driving very fast. Will need an OOPI when I get it here so now I’m curious if those guys will say anything about the date code on the tires? Truck will only be used once or twice within Calgary in the next few months before becoming my primary winter vehicle at which time brand new winter tires will be going on it.

Originally posted by dj_rice
    I purchased my Pathfinder in 2005. They installed brand new tires before delivery from the dealership. I picked the car up at 72K. Still driving on the same tires, its @ 180K now. Tire tread still at 60% I think. Still looks okay. Drive to Calgary every few months as well. Kinda scurred now after reading this thread. I do have a dedicated winter package so not driving on these year round.
    Don't watch any of those "are your tires dangerous?" news stories on youtube then. That's what got me second guessing myself. Then after watching more and more of them it seemed to me most of these news stories were based out of the Southern states where there is more of a risk when tires bake out in the sun all year round. Still don't think I will use these particular tires for regular highway driving though - new tires will give me peace of mind when I start driving it regularly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast