Quantcast
RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 28 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 28 of 150 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Who's excited to go camping this year.... I am! Booked Redstreak in Radium, BC since the National Park reservation system is open for booking sites.

Got a new tow rig (2015 Ram 1500 Sport) as well a few months back and got rid of the van (2015 Honda Odyssey) .

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Only camping I have booked this summer is two weeks in Christina Lake, BC in August. And a house boat for a week in July so I don't think I will do much more camping other than a few weekends here and there. Overall planning on avoiding the National parks though hoping to stay away from all the people.

I do like the walk from Redstreak to the pool.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i never book in advance and just do FCFS everywhere and regret it, i am sure this year will be no different.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This free national parks is going to really fuck up the banff sites even more than normal, and that shitshow will spill over to kananaskis. It's always a mess, but this is going to be much worse.

I'm actually thinking I'll head east this year. Have a party to get to in central SK, might make a tour of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Rage2

i never go to the parks for camping, i always go east, its not as nice in some places but its a whole lot less busy and less idiots, only time i go west is to boondock in wiaporous

^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by Thaco
    i never book in advance and just do FCFS everywhere and regret it, i am sure this year will be no different.
    I hate that they are getting rid of more and more FCFS campgrounds and turning them into 100% reservable.
    At least they have a mobile app now, that enables you to grab a vacant spot when you're right out there.

My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by C_Dave45

I hate that they are getting rid of more and more FCFS campgrounds and turning them into 100% reservable.
    At least they have a mobile app now, that enables you to grab a vacant spot when you're right out there.
    FCFS is bullshit anyway when people show up there at 10am and check in is 3pm.... i showed up a few times at 2:30 and every site had some bullshit tent or car or whatever parked in it to hold the spot.

they need to open up online "fcfs" sites at 3pm, fair for everybody, instant for everybody to know they have no sites so you dont drive for hours for nothing.

^^ Fact Checked

FCFS is bullshit anyway when people show up there at 10am and check in is 3pm.... i showed up a few times at 2:30 and every site had some bullshit tent or car or whatever parked in it to hold the spot.

they need to open up online "fcfs" sites at 3pm, fair for everybody, instant for everybody to know they have no sites so you dont drive for hours for nothing.
    So you're upset that they umm...got there FIRST? . That's the whole point of "first come, first served". As for a 3:00 "check in"?? Rofl . ...it's not a hotel. If a site is vacant, it's there for the taking...to the FIRST person there.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think we can all agree that the number of camping spots hasn't increased much or at all in the last 10-20 years, while the number of users has increased dramatically.

At least my kids are a little older now and they can sit in the truck for more than an hour without driving me even more insane. Back in the day we couldn't go further than Exshaw.

Best way to get FCFS camping to go somewhere that is at least 90 minutes from town and that has at least 20 minutes of gravel. I was really happy with Dutch creek last summer. Great spot. Just over two hours from the south edge of town.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Rage2

So you're upset that they umm...got there FIRST? . That's the whole point of "first come, first served". As for a 3:00 "check in"?? Rofl . ...it's not a hotel. If a site is vacant, it's there for the taking...to the FIRST person there.
    yes, it is like a hotel, if you're there before 3pm, you better be paying for the previous night too, the time is there for a reason, not so assholes can show up first thing in the morning and squat in it, if the ranger comes in before 3 and does a check you're expected to have paid for the previous day... sure its not really consistently enforceable, but its a little thing call respecting the rules and other people.

so by your definition i can go there at 4am when the sun comes up and squat my car there for free to hold it for the next evening? no, FCFS says you come and you're there, not you drop off a car in the spot and go back in to work for the day.

Alberta Parks Regulations

Permits
    Camping permits are issued on a first come-first served basis EXCEPT where there is a campsite reservation service.
    Camping fees are payable when the permit is issued.
    You must immediately occupy the campsite designated by the permit with your camping accommodation unit (tent, trailer or RV). If an accommodation unit is not present, the campsite may be re-assigned.
    Camping permits are not transferrable.
    You are not permitted to save campsites for others.
    A maximum of 6 people may occupy a campsite UNLESS they all are members of the same family unit.
    as soon as you park yourself there you need a permit, if thats before 2pm, your permit is only good til 2pm(was wrong on the time before) and you must purchase another one for the next night.

Just because there's no gatekeeper doesn't mean we shouldn't respect the rules.
    Last edited by Thaco; 01-15-2017 at 09:02 AM.

^^ Fact Checked

yes, it is like a hotel, if you're there before 3pm, you better be paying for the previous night too, the time is there for a reason, not so assholes can show up first thing in the morning and squat in it, if the ranger comes in before 3 and does a check you're expected to have paid for the previous day... sure its not really consistently enforceable, but its a little thing call respecting the rules and other people.

so by your definition i can go there at 4am when the sun comes up and squat my car there for free to hold it for the next evening? no, FCFS says you come and you're there, not you drop off a car in the spot and go back in to work for the day.

as soon as you park yourself there you need a permit, if thats before 2pm, your permit is only good til 2pm(was wrong on the time before) and you must purchase another one for the next night.

Just because there's no gatekeeper doesn't mean we shouldn't respect the rules.
    The 3:00 (some are 4:00) check-in is for the reservable campgrounds. That usually means your spot is "guaranteed" to be available by then. If it was occupied by another party the previous day, that gives them time to check out (2:00) and then gives the hosts time to clean it and have it ready for you. But if the site is vacant and clean, you can occupy it anytime you arrive.

But FCFS is exactly that. Whoever gets there first, takes the vacant spot and then immediately fills out and pays for his permit. We usually arrive at any of the FCFS site in the morning. And grab our spot. And every time I go see the camp host immediately. We EVEN....(gasp, horrors) head out Wednesday night and grab the spot for the weekend, because, you know...we were the first one there. Everyone has the same opportunity.
    So I guess according to you I'm an asshole?

I'm OK with that.

The only campgrounds we camp at are FCFS....I've NEVER been turned away. Mainly because I don't show up on the Friday of a long weeekend at a campground that's an hour from one million people, expecting an empty spot.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 01-15-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Agreed. Riding Mountain National Park reservations opened this morning.

ALL of the powered/serviced sites for July and August weekends were gone within a few seconds.

My Ride
    2005 F350

RV show is coming up soon! anyone going? my wife and I like to go just to check things out and dream a little.

anybody know how to buy cheaper entry tickets?
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    '14 Taco

yes, it is like a hotel, if you're there before 3pm, you better be paying for the previous night too, the time is there for a reason, not so assholes can show up first thing in the morning and squat in it.
    Dunno what hotels you're staying at..but most will let you get in early if they're done cleaning it. That's the only reason they have a later check in is because they have to get through all the rooms..

As annoying as it is for people to head out early and get sites a day or two before the weekend, they're first...get up earlier, leave a day earlier, and you'll be fine. Showing up at 2:30 pm on a friday to a popular campground in AB is just asking for you to be denied. Yes, you can get up at 4:00 AM and try and find a site..

ITT I learned Thaco has never stayed at a hotel.

I have always just gone out on the Wednesday and set up a site with a tent (dont have an RV). I pay for all of the nights in advance, so I dončt see the issue. I was there first, Paid for my site for the time it will be occupied by something (tent). Then just come back out after work on Friday. Best part is when you get back out there, you are ready to enjoy yourself. No setup or anything just crack a beer, get the fire going and relax.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I was really happy with Dutch creek last summer. Great spot. Just over two hours from the south edge of town.
    That looks like a good spot to test out the new trailer this year. Bought the damn thing last April, and didn't get one chance to use it due to rebuilding my truck engine.

Looking very forward to it this year.

Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
    I have always just gone out on the Wednesday and set up a site with a tent (dont have an RV). I pay for all of the nights in advance, so I dončt see the issue. I was there first, Paid for my site for the time it will be occupied by something (tent). Then just come back out after work on Friday. Best part is when you get back out there, you are ready to enjoy yourself. No setup or anything just crack a beer, get the fire going and relax.
    Bingo!
    That's why I love the FCFS campgrounds.

My Ride
    4x4

So Costco has the good camping chairs with side table and cupholders out for 34$ today

My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
    no problem with this, as long as you pay for the respective nights, its people who show up at 8am friday and dont pay for thursday and just park their car there that piss me off. That's when i hope for the warden will do their rounds and ticket them.

think you'd get away with that shit at a private campground? not likely.
    Last edited by Thaco; 01-16-2017 at 01:40 PM.

^^ Fact Checked

Page 28 of 150 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast