Quantcast
RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs - Page 30 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 30 of 150 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: RV Camping; Tips, tricks & repairs

Only thing that really matters is the floor, because it's almost always wood framing and you'll have a leak one way or another eventually

There were some awesome light trailers this year at the RV show, and they didn't skimp on features.

Motorized awnings were everywhere, and Furrion pre-wired. Also virtually every trailer had a plug for solar.

But my favourite thing were the wind-resistant entry doors (either on the hinges or gas).

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by suntan
    There were some awesome light trailers this year at the RV show, and they didn't skimp on features.

Motorized awnings were everywhere, and Furrion pre-wired. Also virtually every trailer had a plug for solar.

But my favourite thing were the wind-resistant entry doors (either on the hinges or gas).
    i hate the motorized awnings, they're so floppy and the slightest wind you have to tether them down anyway so i really don't see the benefit, just more $$$$
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Originally posted by Thaco
    I have been through the tent trailer phase too, they are a great concept, awesome for fuel economy, but after a few years the setup and jigsaw puzzling to get everything put away just gets old.

I have a hybrid right now, its a lot more storage than a tent trailer, a lot less setup, but i am still looking to upgrade to a hardwall, or possibly a motorhome, would love to do some road trips.

found my dream unit at the RV show on the weekend,
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    I did like this model as well from Bullet. The other one I was considering is the Apex 245BHS or 24LE.

Noticed that there were lots of aluminum sided trailers at the show but based on our location it would likely look like a golf ball in no time.

Originally posted by Thaco
    i hate the motorized awnings, they're so floppy and the slightest wind you have to tether them down anyway so i really don't see the benefit, just more $$$$
    The motorized awnings I saw looked like regular awnings except they were motorized.

My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by redevil

I did like this model as well from Bullet. The other one I was considering is the Apex 245BHS or 24LE.

Noticed that there were lots of aluminum sided trailers at the show but based on our location it would likely look like a golf ball in no time.
    yeah i like the 247 because it has the second door for the bathroom, i think that's a great feature to keep the traffic down through the unit. Also good for hosing off after the beach or whatever... and i have no use for an outside kichen.

^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

My brother is looking for a hardside as well, he just sold his tent trailer. So group buy on travel trailers... Lol

What's the markup on these things new? I was reading that they are about 30%+ on TT and more on bigger rigs.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by redevil
    My brother is looking for a hardside as well, he just sold his tent trailer. So group buy on travel trailers... Lol

What's the markup on these things new? I was reading that they are about 30%+ on TT and more on bigger rigs.
    I would say that would be the case in some models. When I got mine 3 years ago I had a family friend working at a dealership and my price went from 36k to 30k.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Buy used, for the love of god! Depreciation is massive and most owners spend quite a bit of effort and money fixing things that never worked right from the factory and adding things.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Buy used, for the love of god! Depreciation is massive and most owners spend quite a bit of effort and money fixing things that never worked right from the factory and adding things.
    ^^ THIS!!
    Listen to the old dogs. Buying an RV that's 7 or 8 years old means it's only been used a few times at most. And you will pay well under half of it's original price.

My son bought a brand new 2016 19' Apex Nano. By the time all the taxes and environmental fees were added in, it was well into the mid $20,000's. He's had more problems with his new rig than I've had with my 9 year old rig.

We got a 2007 30' Gulfstream with TWO 48" slides. Fully separate, 2nd bedroom with Jack n Jill bunks, a peninsula kitchen, a pantry, walk-around Queen master bedroom, two separate entrances. Haven't had one problem with it. All for $13,000.

click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 02-11-2017 at 11:30 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

And aside from tires, there's little that wears out on an RV. Inspect brakes, repack bearings and you are good to go.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    4x4

And aside from tires, there's little that wears out on an RV. Inspect brakes, repack bearings and you are good to go.
    Thats annual maintenance anyway

Add - clean out furnace, hot water heater and fridge vents (birds love to nest in the fridge vent). Older fridges tend to be less troublesome - logic boards are not our friends with RV power systems (disconnects/reconnects, switches from Tow vehicle, to generators, batteries, to shore and sometimes solar... Seems to cause many to fail)

Never buy new RVs... I repo'd one not long ago that was 5yrs old - still factory packaged (plastic/tape/etc - doesn't even appear to have had PDI). Straight from dealer to storage lot - never to be used again... It's not uncommon, There's a motorhome with 1200miles on it that I have made repeated offers on, if it was wood I'd say it's going to rot away. But buddy believes its a 6 figures vehicle... Not understanding that over a decade parked in tall grass = Rotted floors, and degradation of every system...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Amen.

I should clarify on the tires, in case you haven't looked into trailers before, that trailer tires degrade over time LONG BEFORE the tread wears out. I know some folks replace tires every five years no matter what. Me, I'd go longer, more like seven or eight, but I'd for sure assume on any used trailer that you'll be buying tires in the first eighteen months.

Trailer tires seem to fail catastrophically more often than car/truck tires. I don't know why that is.

My Ride
    4x4

Trailer tires seem to fail catastrophically more often than car/truck tires. I don't know why that is.
    Inflation... A cheap 50$ princess auto special TPMS system would go a long way to saving tires...

Every tire I've changed on an RV was red hot, and towed for an excessive distance before finally letting go. So likely started out low - long haul with higher weights = heat = blown apart. Best case they notice when the shredded tire bits start knocking off those fiberglass skirts...

My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by AndyL

Inflation... A cheap 50$ princess auto special TPMS system would go a long way to saving tires...

Every tire I've changed on an RV was red hot, and towed for an excessive distance before finally letting go. So likely started out low - long haul with higher weights = heat = blown apart. Best case they notice when the shredded tire bits start knocking off those fiberglass skirts...
    It's typically because of tire rot, people don't change the tires because there's still lots of tread on em, but they still rot and after a while they just blow.

^^ Fact Checked

Since RV tires mostly just sit, they form a lot of cracks.

Tires need to move to last their intended lifespan.

Gonna replace the RV tires this spring too. All of four years old.

My Ride
    Ford F150

For RV rentals, is cruise canada my best option in Calgary? Looking to rent one for next summer, was told to reserve early.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Check the fine print on number of days and what days you are allowed to pick up on. It's a much bigger hassle than renting a car. Probably need to reserve really early for prime season too.

Used Cruise Canada about seven years ago with no issues though. I think it was a 34' class C motorhome. Had a nice trip.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I'll be reserving this week. $1000 for a long weekend
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

Amen.

I should clarify on the tires, in case you haven't looked into trailers before, that trailer tires degrade over time LONG BEFORE the tread wears out. I know some folks replace tires every five years no matter what. Me, I'd go longer, more like seven or eight, but I'd for sure assume on any used trailer that you'll be buying tires in the first eighteen months.

With the importance of new tires, does anyone have a recommendation for real quality trailer tires? Not the Chinese stuff....my fiver is due for new tires and I'm wondering who has a good contact for this. Somewhere I can take the trailer in and they'll replace them with proper tires. We put on a lot of miles....

14060 lbs gvwr with ST235/80R16/E tires. 42' sandpiper bunkhouse.

Thanks guys..
    Chris

Page 30 of 150 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast