Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Sensory deprivation tanks (isolation tanks) in Calgary?

Author
Thread
JRSC00LUDE
Third Gear

What I drive: S/C '00 Prelude '15 Tacoma '06 Vstar 1100
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 112%

quote:

Sounds like you went to a shitty place given the water quality you mention and also, that you didn't really try the experience as intended.

I'm real skeptical of stuff like this but did go try one in Vancouver a year or so ago at a real high end place. Everything was highly sterile and very comfortable. I tried to go in with a very open mind and it was intriguing.

It definitely took a few minutes to properly relax into floating so there was no muscle tension which creates the discomfort. Shutting your mind off is a real skill but I definitely managed to relax for awhile. I started experiencing a ton of light auras, all kinds of colours and it didn't matter if my eyes were open or closed, they didn't go away so I wasn't seeing them optically or whatever. Kind of surreal, super trippy.

I can see how it wouldn't do anything for lots of people and how it could for some. Personally my mind is always loaded, working in a constant high stress environment, I'm the type who wakes up 4 or 5 times a night thinking about projects, issues, etc. Finding a way to take an hour and actually shut down was of value to me but, like most things, it's mostly mental gymnastics. It's no miracle pod, but it did facilitate a way for me to relax in a manner I could buy into. Placebo effect? Probably. But of functional use for me.

Originally posted by SJW
Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.

Originally posted by snowcat
Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

Last edited by JRSC00LUDE on 03-02-2017 at 08:24 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-02-2017 01:44 PM
JRSC00LUDE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JRSC00LUDE Click here to Send JRSC00LUDE a Private Message Find more posts by JRSC00LUDE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

TomcoPDR
Slanty Gwai Lo

What I drive: Bowtie
Posts/Day: 0.73
Trader Rating: (78)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

^ I might have to give it another try someday then.

Old Post 03-03-2017 06:27 AM
TomcoPDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomcoPDR Click here to Send TomcoPDR a Private Message Find more posts by TomcoPDR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

A friend of mine did one near Inglewood. It sucked because you could still hear traffic, trains, etc. which totally ruins the experience. Ones in less busy areas are probably better.

Old Post 03-03-2017 04:05 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JRSC00LUDE
Third Gear

What I drive: S/C '00 Prelude '15 Tacoma '06 Vstar 1100
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 112%

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
A friend of mine did one near Inglewood. It sucked because you could still hear traffic, trains, etc. which totally ruins the experience. Ones in less busy areas are probably better.

Yeah, the one I went to out in Vancouver was built with a very high budget. They paid impressive detail to sound attenuation in the room construction. The entire build/layout/environment was tailor made to the experience which is likely what made it so accommodating to buy into.

The only reason I haven't been back to one is my experience is tainted now. Going somewhere else would be like getting out of a GT3 and lapping a track in a half-ton for the rest of the day. I'd spend the whole time remembering how good it WAS and unable to enjoy the experience again.

Originally posted by SJW
Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.

Originally posted by snowcat
Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

Old Post 03-03-2017 04:19 PM
JRSC00LUDE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JRSC00LUDE Click here to Send JRSC00LUDE a Private Message Find more posts by JRSC00LUDE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigDL
Neutral

What I drive: 09 Impreza 2.5
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I went to one run out of someones house in Ranchlands and it was a interesting experience. It felt good to just float and relax, and when I was able to zone out after stabilizing and not hitting the walls it it was neat with my mind just doing its own thing.

Old Post 03-03-2017 04:31 PM
BigDL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigDL Click here to Send BigDL a Private Message Find more posts by BigDL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alterac
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.10
Trader Rating: (14)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

There is one in silver springs also,

http://www.onelovefloat.com/

I drive by that place regularly but have never went.

Old Post 03-03-2017 05:18 PM
Alterac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alterac Click here to Send Alterac a Private Message Find more posts by Alterac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R-Audi
Second Gear

What I drive: GX470
Posts/Day: 0.42
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Just saw on FB that Floatlife has a special for $35 for the month of march... gonna try it out.

Old Post 03-03-2017 07:02 PM
R-Audi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R-Audi Click here to Send R-Audi a Private Message Find more posts by R-Audi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomcoPDR
Slanty Gwai Lo

What I drive: Bowtie
Posts/Day: 0.73
Trader Rating: (78)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Originally posted by R-Audi
Just saw on FB that Floatlife has a special for $35 for the month of march... gonna try it out.

Yes please do and share experience.

Good thread, I might go and try again and see if I can PTFO this time

Old Post 03-03-2017 07:33 PM
TomcoPDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomcoPDR Click here to Send TomcoPDR a Private Message Find more posts by TomcoPDR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JordanEG6
FKA: TeamCrewcial

What I drive: Honda E Toaster
Posts/Day: 0.36
Trader Rating: (41)

quote:

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Yes please do and share experience.

Good thread, I might go and try again and see if I can PTFO this time

Tried the Float Life in downtown. It features the egg pods, which I enjoyed. For those who are into the calming music and mood lighting, it's a nice unit. I shut it all off and I enjoy it dark and silent personally.

Did a 60 minute float, they make you a tea afterwards and you can chill out in this little meditation/calming room, sink into a bean bag, sip some tea and read/meditate.

I would like to try the Marda Loop location as they have actual float chambers as opposed to the pods so you can sprawl out and float in a a nice open space and not have to worry about hitting the sides of the tank causing you to 'snap out of it'.

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current

NEW LISTING SELLING OVER 200-300 PAIRS OF SNEAKERS ** CLICK*** OR PM ME

Old Post 03-03-2017 09:17 PM
JordanEG6 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JordanEG6 Click here to Send JordanEG6 a Private Message Find more posts by JordanEG6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R-Audi
Second Gear

quote:

Im booked for toorrow at 8:30am... It was the only available time.

Old Post 03-03-2017 10:41 PM
R-Audi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R-Audi Click here to Send R-Audi a Private Message Find more posts by R-Audi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nzwasp
First Gear

What I drive: 2013 Toyota Highlander Sport
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

I thought there was a place on 17th ave SW (around that shaganappi area) in the condo building there. Always thought about trying it never had any time though..

Old Post 03-05-2017 02:34 AM
nzwasp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nzwasp Click here to Send nzwasp a Private Message Find more posts by nzwasp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quick_scar
First Gear

What I drive: Has either 2 or 4 wheels
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Thanks for posting the sale!

GF and I are booked for the 19th. First time that fit our schedule that we can float at the same time. Looking forward to it!!

Old Post 03-05-2017 05:12 AM
quick_scar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for quick_scar Click here to Send quick_scar a Private Message Find more posts by quick_scar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dumbass17
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

Float Life in Kensington
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&...iFfJuukog1DIYxA

Old Post 03-05-2017 03:23 PM
Dumbass17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dumbass17 Click here to Send Dumbass17 a Private Message Find more posts by Dumbass17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Dave45
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

I go into my hot tub and pull the cover down over me. I float on my back, with the water covering my ears. Complete darkness, and can't hear anything buy my own breathing.

Old Post 03-05-2017 11:04 PM
C_Dave45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Dave45 Click here to Send C_Dave45 a Private Message Visit C_Dave45's homepage! Find more posts by C_Dave45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OTown
Neutral

What I drive: '15 Tacoma TRD DCLB
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

I think of this every time I see this thread

Old Post 03-05-2017 11:14 PM
OTown is online now Click Here to See the Profile for OTown Click here to Send OTown a Private Message Find more posts by OTown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kvg
Second Gear

What I drive: A VW and a Dodge
Posts/Day: 0.82
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I have tinnitus, so I'm sure it would be hell for me.

Old Post 03-05-2017 11:37 PM
kvg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kvg Click here to Send kvg a Private Message Find more posts by kvg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R-Audi
Second Gear

quote:

Review of my floatlife appointment in Marda Loop:

My appointment was at 8:30am, so I was the first one of the day to use the tank. Everything was extremely clean and easy to check in. They supplied towel, silicon earplugs, facecloth, neck pillow if required and bodywash/shampoo/conditioner. The private room is decently sized considering it is meant for single use; two stools, hooks on the door, nice sized shower and of course the pod. Pod itself was bigger than expected, about the size of a king sized bed and Id guess at least 7 feet tall inside. It had buttons on the inside for lights (pink) and music.

Water in the pod was quite warm and I was surprised with how easy it was to simply float. (Didnt need the neck pillow at all) I found the pink light distracting, so I went with the lights and music off. (Could barely hear the music with earplugs in anyways) I'd say I lasted ~40mins trying to do some deep breathing/not moving before I got a little bored and started messing around. (pushing from wall to wall, stretching, seeing if I could sink myself etc..) When your session is over the lights automatically turn on to signal you to get out and shower. This location didnt seem to have any sort of post float tea lounge, so I showered, paid and went to Starbucks.

For the next few hours I felt extremely relaxed, pretty similiar feeling to just getting out of a massage (minus the soreness) I definitely enjoyed it and the person working there said it normally takes a few times to get used to it and really work on relaxing. At $35 I could see doing it a few times, at $50 Im not so sure. The $35/60mins deal is for the month of March, so it may be worth trying if you are at all interested.

Old Post 03-06-2017 03:43 PM
The time now is 06:19 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > General > Sensory deprivation tanks (isolation tanks) in Calgary?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: