Quantcast
Sensory deprivation tanks (isolation tanks) in Calgary? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Sensory deprivation tanks (isolation tanks) in Calgary?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Sounds like you went to a shitty place given the water quality you mention and also, that you didn't really try the experience as intended.

I'm real skeptical of stuff like this but did go try one in Vancouver a year or so ago at a real high end place. Everything was highly sterile and very comfortable. I tried to go in with a very open mind and it was intriguing.

It definitely took a few minutes to properly relax into floating so there was no muscle tension which creates the discomfort. Shutting your mind off is a real skill but I definitely managed to relax for awhile. I started experiencing a ton of light auras, all kinds of colours and it didn't matter if my eyes were open or closed, they didn't go away so I wasn't seeing them optically or whatever. Kind of surreal, super trippy.

I can see how it wouldn't do anything for lots of people and how it could for some. Personally my mind is always loaded, working in a constant high stress environment, I'm the type who wakes up 4 or 5 times a night thinking about projects, issues, etc. Finding a way to take an hour and actually shut down was of value to me but, like most things, it's mostly mental gymnastics. It's no miracle pod, but it did facilitate a way for me to relax in a manner I could buy into. Placebo effect? Probably. But of functional use for me.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 03-02-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Lease

^ I might have to give it another try someday then.

A friend of mine did one near Inglewood. It sucked because you could still hear traffic, trains, etc. which totally ruins the experience. Ones in less busy areas are probably better.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    A friend of mine did one near Inglewood. It sucked because you could still hear traffic, trains, etc. which totally ruins the experience. Ones in less busy areas are probably better.
    Yeah, the one I went to out in Vancouver was built with a very high budget. They paid impressive detail to sound attenuation in the room construction. The entire build/layout/environment was tailor made to the experience which is likely what made it so accommodating to buy into.

The only reason I haven't been back to one is my experience is tainted now. Going somewhere else would be like getting out of a GT3 and lapping a track in a half-ton for the rest of the day. I'd spend the whole time remembering how good it WAS and unable to enjoy the experience again.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

I went to one run out of someones house in Ranchlands and it was a interesting experience. It felt good to just float and relax, and when I was able to zone out after stabilizing and not hitting the walls it it was neat with my mind just doing its own thing.

There is one in silver springs also,

http://www.onelovefloat.com/

I drive by that place regularly but have never went.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Just saw on FB that Floatlife has a special for $35 for the month of march... gonna try it out.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Just saw on FB that Floatlife has a special for $35 for the month of march... gonna try it out.
    Yes please do and share experience.

Good thread, I might go and try again and see if I can PTFO this time

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Yes please do and share experience.

Good thread, I might go and try again and see if I can PTFO this time

Tried the Float Life in downtown. It features the egg pods, which I enjoyed. For those who are into the calming music and mood lighting, it's a nice unit. I shut it all off and I enjoy it dark and silent personally.

Did a 60 minute float, they make you a tea afterwards and you can chill out in this little meditation/calming room, sink into a bean bag, sip some tea and read/meditate.

I would like to try the Marda Loop location as they have actual float chambers as opposed to the pods so you can sprawl out and float in a a nice open space and not have to worry about hitting the sides of the tank causing you to 'snap out of it'.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Im booked for toorrow at 8:30am... It was the only available time.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I thought there was a place on 17th ave SW (around that shaganappi area) in the condo building there. Always thought about trying it never had any time though..
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Thanks for posting the sale!

GF and I are booked for the 19th. First time that fit our schedule that we can float at the same time. Looking forward to it!!
    Signature..... I ate it!!

I go into my hot tub and pull the cover down over me. I float on my back, with the water covering my ears. Complete darkness, and can't hear anything buy my own breathing.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

I think of this every time I see this thread

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I have tinnitus, so I'm sure it would be hell for me.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Review of my floatlife appointment in Marda Loop:

My appointment was at 8:30am, so I was the first one of the day to use the tank. Everything was extremely clean and easy to check in. They supplied towel, silicon earplugs, facecloth, neck pillow if required and bodywash/shampoo/conditioner. The private room is decently sized considering it is meant for single use; two stools, hooks on the door, nice sized shower and of course the pod. Pod itself was bigger than expected, about the size of a king sized bed and Id guess at least 7 feet tall inside. It had buttons on the inside for lights (pink) and music.

Water in the pod was quite warm and I was surprised with how easy it was to simply float. (Didnt need the neck pillow at all) I found the pink light distracting, so I went with the lights and music off. (Could barely hear the music with earplugs in anyways) I'd say I lasted ~40mins trying to do some deep breathing/not moving before I got a little bored and started messing around. (pushing from wall to wall, stretching, seeing if I could sink myself etc..) When your session is over the lights automatically turn on to signal you to get out and shower. This location didnt seem to have any sort of post float tea lounge, so I showered, paid and went to Starbucks.

For the next few hours I felt extremely relaxed, pretty similiar feeling to just getting out of a massage (minus the soreness) I definitely enjoyed it and the person working there said it normally takes a few times to get used to it and really work on relaxing. At $35 I could see doing it a few times, at $50 Im not so sure. The $35/60mins deal is for the month of March, so it may be worth trying if you are at all interested.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3