Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Shaw Outage

Author
Thread
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I don't think it was just a server issue, because Teksavvy went down for an hour as well.

Would not be surprised if a disgruntled former employee decided to flip a switch.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-28-2017 04:31 PM
ZenOps is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by rage2
Oddly enough, my Shaw never went down. Wonder what's different about my setup.

It will be interesting to know the scope. Our Shaw line here never went down either and my alarm and cameras at homes never freaked out.

Old Post 04-28-2017 04:33 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema
It will be interesting to know the scope. Our Shaw line here never went down either and my alarm and cameras at homes never freaked out.

Wonder if it was a DNS issue since most people by default use Shaw's DNS servers. Their DNS servers used to be wildly unreliable, but it's gotten better over the years. Would explain all the home phones not being able to find where to connect to as well.

I run my own DNS servers so reliability is on me, and I get better routes doing so as well.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-28-2017 04:45 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

My security cameras showed an hour of downtime yesterday. I'm just happy it all came back online on its own because the new shaw modems do a shit job of reconnecting and I usually have to do it manually.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 04-28-2017 04:49 PM
killramos is online now Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adam c
Second Gear

What I drive: has a turbo
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

This was the Shaw response for those wondering

********UPDATE************

Teams identified an ACL was updated on multiple routers and is currently being rolled back to restore services.

Last edited by adam c on 04-28-2017 at 05:18 PM

Old Post 04-28-2017 05:15 PM
adam c is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adam c Click here to Send adam c a Private Message Find more posts by adam c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

What I drive: 03 Cadillac CTS
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (101)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by rage2

Wonder if it was a DNS issue since most people by default use Shaw's DNS servers. Their DNS servers used to be wildly unreliable, but it's gotten better over the years. Would explain all the home phones not being able to find where to connect to as well.

I run my own DNS servers so reliability is on me, and I get better routes doing so as well.

We use Cisco Umbrella DNS at work and we were down, so I think it's more than DNS.

Old Post 04-28-2017 05:29 PM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adam c
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by eblend

We use Cisco Umbrella DNS at work and we were down, so I think it's more than DNS.

Look one post up

Old Post 04-28-2017 05:44 PM
adam c is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adam c Click here to Send adam c a Private Message Find more posts by adam c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

Originally posted by adam c
This was the Shaw response for those wondering

********UPDATE************

Teams identified an ACL was updated on multiple routers and is currently being rolled back to restore services.

There has to be more to that story. I just cant see SHAW updating ALL the major system infrastructure simultaneously .... for exactly this reason.

Start with a smaller area and work your way up.

Last edited by revelations on 04-28-2017 at 06:07 PM

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:05 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

quote:

Originally posted by eblend

I was being issued a WAN address of 192.168.100.xxx ..... not a DNS issue.

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:06 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adam c
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by revelations

There has to be more to that story. I just cant see SHAW updating ALL the major system infrastructure simultaneously .... for exactly this reason.

Start with a smaller area and work your way up.

This is all the details we were provided, seems like someone fucked up big time, which happens when you layoff numerous staff

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:27 PM
revelations
Third Gear

quote:

from reddit /Canada

I work with a Shaw Business Partner, and they were upgrading their core network over the last couple of days and were having IP assignment issues which caused intermittent issues yesterday. I assume today's issue is related to the upgrade as well.

which correlates to what I saw on my end ....

Outage was caused by Cisco performing upgrades on backbone routers. Affected multiple isps across the Nation.

Still, allowing Cisco etc. to just dump all the major units like that is deplorable.

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:35 PM
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

I'm on static IP so that makes sense why I was fine.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:56 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebane
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.57
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Yeah my IP changed as well from the outage.

Old Post 04-28-2017 06:59 PM
firebane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebane Click here to Send firebane a Private Message Find more posts by firebane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 01:38 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics > Shaw Outage

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: