Quantcast
Shell Vs. Petro Canada - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Shell Vs. Petro Canada

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

Originally posted by yipb

620km to 710km?....

can i ask you what you have done to your car/year/mileage?

i run 91 shell in my type s.... i average between 475ish(spirited)-525(normal) i never seen above 550....
    Yea, 620-ish with Esso, >700 with PetroCan. These are like 95% (by distance) on the highway though. I've also checked that my odometer is not broken using those AMA signs on the highway as well as my in-dash GPS and my iPhone GPS.

Everything is stock in my car, but I'm thinking of putting in an Injen CAI, which should improve mileage (and of course overall performance).

When I first inherited the car from my brother, I got around 550km on a tank of gas (can't remember which brand at the time).

Anyway, I could go into all the details of how I hypermile but basically it's all about anticipation. Anticipate lights, cars in front, cars around you, etc. This is to prevent unnecessary (and sudden) braking. Once you get used to it it becomes second nature. Also, I usually ride in neutral on a downhill, that probably helps. I don't turn off my engine at red lights, I just don't like the feeling of stopping and starting my engine so much. Also, keep a good distance between yourself and the car in front so that when you anticipate cars slowing down in front you can throw it in neutral and let your car slow down that way rather than braking.

I'm still learning really. By the way, some say riding in neutral is bad because it's not safe...is this true?

Also, please don't think I'm wasting my car's potential. I love a spirited drive and I often take corners fairly hard. I just try to keep the gas bill down when I'm just driving to work and back.
    Last edited by i.RSX; 05-21-2011 at 05:03 PM.

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

So nobody? I guess Shell doesn't have any kind of discounts eh.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by i.RSX
    No. But doesn't hurt to try a few tanks right? Royalty discount is less than 2% from other brand anyway. So if you even 10 to 20 km more per tank, it's worth the switch.

haven't compared the prices lately but when I first got a petro card (about 8 years ago), petro gas was around 3 cents more expensive than the COOP by my house, so you really didn't save anything (maybe half a cent/L, big deal).

Anyone know when gas stations switched off winter gas?? I've been seeing all these " I switched gas stations and picked up 50km per tank" threads for the last few months. Maybe some companies are halting winter gas shipments earlier than others??? just a thought....

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

Originally posted by J-hop

haven't compared the prices lately but when I first got a petro card (about 8 years ago), petro gas was around 3 cents more expensive than the COOP by my house, so you really didn't save anything (maybe half a cent/L, big deal).

Anyone know when gas stations switched off winter gas?? I've been seeing all these " I switched gas stations and picked up 50km per tank" threads for the last few months. Maybe some companies are halting winter gas shipments earlier than others??? just a thought....
    What's winter gas? I did switch to PetroCan around a month ago...do you think that's the reason for the increased mileage? hmmm...

*EDIT* OMG...I had no idea about this winter gas thing. I just thought all my lost mileage was due to winter conditions (slow driving, lots of electronics and heating, etc). Apparently you could lose 5-14% from the fuel alone! Alright, probably going to try out Shell for 3-4 tanks and then Esso again.
    Last edited by i.RSX; 05-21-2011 at 08:48 PM.

My Ride
    Discreet

Chevron + Save on card > All

It's just a shame they don't have them in Alberta

Does anyone know why ?

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

Yea, apparently they have them in Vancouver? Wiki says they have stations in "Western Canada"...

Anyhow, apparently Shell is doing a 20 air miles (!!!) for $50 worth of premium gas from now until July 24. Sounds like a good opportunity for me to try it out. By the way, 20 air miles is a ridiculous amount. Normally you get like 2 miles for $50 worth of gas. Perspective wise, 175 air miles gets you a $20 gas card.

My Ride
    Ford Escape

I don’t have any knowledge about pricing, rebates, or credit cards but can tell you a thing or two about quality. Every 2 years the government measures the consistency of quality for gasoline for all the majors, for the past decade Imperial has always ranked #1 with Shell as a close second.
    In Alberta, if you’re filling at Shell or Esso the gasoline could have been provided by either company depending on the month, location and simply refinery production. The reason I would personally fill up at Shell vs Imperial since Shell uses less ethanol and doesn’t produce enough regular gas, thus they blend more premium in their regular grade. In fact Shell meets the Alberta ethanol mandate by only blending in Edmonton, currently there is no ethanol in Shell Calgary gas.
    Safeway, Coop, negotiate term supply from all the majors, wholesalers, brokers therefore could be supplied by just about anyone.
    In western Canada the majority of Chevron’s gas comes from the USA thus produced at a higher octane but lower RVP thus more ethanol being added, which tends to make me nervous. Lastly Husky being such a cluster fook, I wouldn’t be caught dead filling up there.
    That being said, all gasoline is obviously held to tight standards and at the pump regardless of which grade you fill, you will always get a mixture of premium (uplift). Octane, RVP or any measurement device won’t work as testing is quite the scientific process (Google CAN CGSB) and the quality standard is only required at the truck rack, not the retail station.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

To be honest, I go with Petro-Canada because its owned by Suncor thus a Canadian company, I am not normally a protectionist type but I'd rather keep my money in the local economy and in the oil projects here. I don't run 91 though.
    Last edited by derpderp; 05-23-2011 at 12:01 AM.

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

I read somewhere that Suncor is actually American owned now though. Not sure if that's true.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

I read somewhere that Suncor is actually American owned now though. Not sure if that's true.
    Hmmm.

Wikipedia says: Suncor Energy Inc. is a Canadian integrated energy company based in Calgary, Alberta. It specializes in production of synthetic crude from oil sands. Suncor ranks number 159 in the Forbes Global 2000 list.

In North America, Suncor develops and produces oil and natural gas in Western Canada, Colorado, and offshore drilling in eastern Canada. Its international efforts include offshore developments in the North Sea, and conventional, land-based efforts in Libya, Syria and Trinidad and Tobago. Suncor operates refineries in Edmonton, AB; Sarnia, ON; Montreal, QC and Commerce City, Colorado. These refineries supply industrial, retail and commercial consumers.

I can't seem to find any information indicating that Suncor is owned by an American corporation.

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

No idea. Maybe that guy was just making stuff up -____-;;;

My Ride
    Bicycle

*EDIT* OMG...I had no idea about this winter gas thing. I just thought all my lost mileage was due to winter conditions (slow driving, lots of electronics and heating, etc). Apparently you could lose 5-14% from the fuel alone! Alright, probably going to try out Shell for 3-4 tanks and then Esso again.
    If you check my fuelly icon below, you'll see that I lose around 2 mpg from oct to Apr. That probably a good indication when the blend was changed for Shell.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3