Social Taboo - Regret having children - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13

Thread: Social Taboo - Regret having children

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by sputnik
    DONT HAVE KIDS! You might have a boy!
    I think the odds are 50/50...

What about the odds for the other 36 genders ?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Not going to lie. We got a Basenji puppy last February. I find raising this dog has been more trying and difficult than either kid we have had. Fucker tries my patience on a daily basis lol. Kids love him though. Maybe that's a drawback to having kids in that it will lead to a dog because they want one and you end up having to take care of it.
    Last edited by heavyD; 03-20-2017 at 09:01 AM.

So instead of 0.01% it is 0.02%

That's a 100% greater chance!

DONT HAVE KIDS! You might have a boy!
    Yea it's the same garbage as the increased chance of birth defects at 35. People like to be alarmists about statistics.

News flash, if someone offered you a service that could make it 1000x more likely for you to win 649 your chances of not winning is still roughly around 99.99286%. So yea, always take a step back when you hear someone throwing stats around.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by heavyD
    Not going to lie. We got a Basenji puppy last February. I find raising this dog has been more trying and difficult than either kid we have had. Fucker tries my patience on a daily basis lol. Kids love him though. Maybe that's a drawback to having kids in that it will lead to a dog because they want one and you end up having to take care of it.
    I have no kids, but 2 dogs (raised since 7-8 weeks old), and I feel like dogs are much easier to raise than kids ever would. It's interesting to hear that you feel the opposite; that puppy must be doing some crazy stuff lol.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You guys realize you can just lock a dog in a box for a few hours. Legally.

Or tie it to a tree when you are having a bbq.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by killramos
    You guys realize you can just lock a dog in a box for a few hours. Legally.

Or tie it to a tree when you are having a bbq.
    Legally you can still use a choker, prong collar and smack your dog... but some people have morals

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just saying, I would say most people do those exact two things with their dogs on a regular basis.

You ever do that to your kids?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Just saying, I would say most people do those exact two things with their dogs on a regular basis.

the way i see it is that with kids, eventually they learn how to walk themselves and i stop having to pick up their shit. you gotta do that forever with a dog. haha.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

(I don't have kids) but you can put them in a corner with an iPad and pretty much not have to worry about them as many parents seem to do these days haha

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Kids can't seem to go anywhere without a tablet in their face anymore, I wonder what that generation will be like in their 20s

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Originally posted by Swank
    Kids can't seem to go anywhere without a tablet in their face anymore, I wonder what that generation will be like in their 20s
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

Originally posted by Disoblige

I have no kids, but 2 dogs (raised since 7-8 weeks old), and I feel like dogs are much easier to raise than kids ever would. It's interesting to hear that you feel the opposite; that puppy must be doing some crazy stuff lol.
    After 2 years or so I no longer have to deal with the poop my kids make.

And for the first 2 years I don't have to go outside when they need to poop.

Originally posted by Swank
    That's bad parenting... and has nothing to do with "kids today".

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agreed.
    Of all my failings as a parent, at least you won't see my kids looking at a phone or tablet in public. 20 minutes per weekday if they achieve certain goals, and in the car on drives longer than 60 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I don't envy current parents and the next generation of parents trying to find the right balance with computers. As I've started to notice the ability to interface effectively with computers is key to most technical jobs these days. Being able to interface with computers like they are an extension of your body and manipulate software through coding to do exactly what you want i think will be key to landing good paying jobs in the future.

Even things as simple as excel skills. I find the older generation thinks that being able to write a formula and auto fill it down a column shows good excel skills when in reality if you can't write logic statements, make things like pivot tables and write excel macros then you have no business putting proficient in excel on your resume!

You have to balance a fine line between depriving your child of experiences in the real world and depriving them of important skills they'll need later in life.

My Ride
    Bicycle

May not match other people's experiences but here goes:

Unless kids have physical or mental deformity, nobody ever regret having them until they are into teens and young adults. Even with physical or metal deformity, the regret is more like guilt in bringing them into the world and not rejecting or not loving them. If you don't love your kids (aka made from your batter) before they hit teens, you need to have your mental state checked out.

Once they hit high school age and rebellion phase, 50% of people I know started to have regrets.

Once they hit adulthood, regret tends to tied to how successful they are in life. And how well you take your kids' success or failure, perceived or otherwise. Some parents handle it well, but I see a lot who don't. Asian and South Asian tends to take it much harder than Caucasians.

Then in old age and about to kick the bucket, I see some with regret NOT having kids. I also see some regret having kids who stop caring about them. The rest is indifferent or have kids that is taking care of them well. I see that as 33% split across these 3 groups.

TLDR,

There is a 33% chance you will NOT regret having kids for a single minute from the second you had them until you kick the bucket.

Again, regret doesn't mean they don't love their kids. Just given a do over, for anyone in their 60s and 70s, at least half probably won't have kids again.

Not scientific in any way, just observation from people I know ages from 80s down to 30s, from new parents to seasoned grand parents.

Just be thankful that we live in a time where social pressure of having kids are lessen and it's actually a respected choice either way.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-20-2017 at 07:25 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by J-hop
    I don't envy current parents and the next generation of parents trying to find the right balance with computers. As I've started to notice the ability to interface effectively with computers is key to most technical jobs these days. Being able to interface with computers like they are an extension of your body and manipulate software through coding to do exactly what you want i think will be key to landing good paying jobs in the future.

Even things as simple as excel skills. I find the older generation thinks that being able to write a formula and auto fill it down a column shows good excel skills when in reality if you can't write logic statements, make things like pivot tables and write excel macros then you have no business putting proficient in excel on your resume!

You have to balance a fine line between depriving your child of experiences in the real world and depriving them of important skills they'll need later in life.
    The balance isn't tough IMO. Kids using tablets to interact such as playing games where they learn new shit is OK, while mindless YouTube watching isn't. The tough part is figuring out when they transition from one to another without being a helicopter parent. I grew up with electronics as a babysitter. Luckily back in the day there wasn't much where I could veg or zombie out and was forced to learn. Worked out well for me.

Now if the kids can actually translate those skills in the real world when they get older is really just a guess at this point. For all we know we'll be replaced by robots and get paid mincome in 20 years and the skills are completely uselsss.

YMMV of course.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I'd have 10 kids if I could afford it and my wife would let me impregnate her that much.

Originally posted by suntan
    I'd have 10 kids if I could afford it and my wife would let me impregnate her that much.
    Haha man she would be wrecked after that. Kinda gross

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13