Quantcast
Sous Vide, who's doing it? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide, who's doing it?

My Ride
    Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Is there a place in town for those Rubbermaid containers or is Amazon the go-to?
    Restaurant suppliers would probably have them... Russell foods comes to mind.

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    Is there a place in town for those Rubbermaid containers or is Amazon the go-to?
    The Real Canadian Warehouse Club.

I am sure someone mentioned this in the thread.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

All setup!

Going super lazy and just going to plop in a ready to go "Tuscan" seasoned spatchcocked chicken from save-on... Don't even have to rebag it! Vac sealed and even says "cook in the bag"

Going to give 4hrs@68 degrees a shot (temp wasn't set yet in this pick)

My Ride
    rally pig

^post pics once cooked.

so far other other than the steak I posted, I sous vide pork chops and chicken thighs.
    all came out juicy and tasty.
    want to try brisket and ribs next

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I'll try and snap a couple before it disappears

Going to try and crank it up to 83 after its done and cook some mini potatoes and corn on the cob in 30min all while serving warm chicken still... Should be interesting

^^ Those vacuum packed pre-seasoned chicken from Save-On are awesome with the Anova. I stock up on them when they go on sale, such an easy dinner option.

After several chickens I have settled on 152F for 90 minutes. After pulling it out of the bag I drop it into the oven and broil it on high for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the skin.

The couple chickens I made at 148 and 150 were cooked, but were right on the edge and almost too juicy. The texture was also bit off.
    ---

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Looks like the 12 quart rubbermaid container is on sale on amazon right now for $15, but you need to have a Prime membership.

deal ends tonight!

https://www.amazon.ca/Rubbermaid-Com...7844479&sr=8-2

* I ended up just creating a new amazon account and signed up for a free prime trial. will cancel my membership before months end
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 07-06-2016 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by kenny
    ^^ Those vacuum packed pre-seasoned chicken from Save-On are awesome with the Anova. I stock up on them when they go on sale, such an easy dinner option.

After several chickens I have settled on 152F for 90 minutes. After pulling it out of the bag I drop it into the oven and broil it on high for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the skin.

The couple chickens I made at 148 and 150 were cooked, but were right on the edge and almost too juicy. The texture was also bit off.
    Damn, I'm at 2.5hrs at 154.... Think it's going to be mush after 4hrs? I wasn't sure on the whole chicken thing vs just a breast so I found a random recipe online, one saving grace is that it's not actually spatchcocked, but more just flattened, so it is pretty thick

Originally posted by ercchry

Damn, I'm at 2.5hrs at 154.... Think it's going to be mush after 4hrs? I wasn't sure on the whole chicken thing vs just a breast so I found a random recipe online, one saving grace is that it's not actually spatchcocked, but more just flattened, so it is pretty thick
    I think I read that 4 hours should be max, anything past that it gets a bit mushy. My plan is always 2 hours, but I get impatient since everything else is ready and I'm usually starving.
    ---

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yup... Too long, kinda mushy... Think a lower temperature would also be good... Corn though.... Soooooo goooood, potatoes needed a bit more time though. Got another hour or so for desert, we'll see how that goes. Making blondies

click for larger version

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yup, that works

click for larger version

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Cheap ass pre-marinated sirloin worked out alright

click for larger version

My Ride
    V8s

^I saw your pic on instagram today (showed up in my search feed for w/e reason). That looks delicious.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Since getting it on thursday

- Prime Rib steak done at 130.. Need to drop the temp to go a little more rare, and remember to pat dry before searing.. Still one of the best steaks i've ever had
    - Corn done at 185. Other then corn still kind of sucking, this was awesome.
    - Pork Shoulder - 154 for 15 hours, ice bathed and took camping. finished on the BBQ. Kick ass, but not really as pull-able as i hoped. Guess i have to bump to the 'pulling' temp of 180+ to make that work?
    - chicken breast yesterday, 149 from frozen ... Realized im now truly fucked if i ever want to eat meat that isn't sous vide. unbelievable what it did to no-name frozen breasts.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Did burgers yesterday, was shitty frozen ground beef from Costco (stuff that comes in individual pound packs that are vacuum sealed) This meat sucks so going to try it again with better stuff... But it was easy at least

10min at 120 to thaw like 70% of it, shaped patties, seasoned. One hour at 137, pat dry then 1min per side in the cast iron with butter, perfect crust and no fade with a nice medium centre (my theory here is it should be pasteurized so it's all go, stomach is still fine today too) gf still freaked out about the pink-ness though haha

...I've still made juicier well done burgers, but again, this meat is shit and I usually don't do burgers with it cause it would take two days to thaw in the fridge and you can't use the microwave if you want to make patties since you'll end up browning the edges no matter what

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Eggs are driving me nuts though, trying for perfect slow poached. The whole crack into a bowl, separate the outer whites and poach is bullshit, the outers seem to stick well enough to the shell if you crack them right into the water to poach, but you have to be really gentle so the yolk doesn't separate from the inner whites... Then poaching time needs to be perfect, too little and the yolk is really runny, a touch too long and it's hard boiled... I've ate way too many eggs Benedict this past week

My Ride
    '14 Taco

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I've been using the anova app, then watching reruns of mind of a chef and playing with different times and temps... And brands of eggs. It's really consuming way too much of my time hahaha... But yeah I understand the basic ideas, but it's a whole new ballgame when you go to poach it after the bath... Today I'm trying egg mcmuffin style, crack it in a ramekin, have the water level right under the lip of the dish... Going to try for 145@45min

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Why poach after the bath?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Well, if you cook it long enough in the shell then it's just going to be a soft boiled egg... If you want poached eggs then you have to finish them off out of the shell or they will have under cooked whites

Plus when you get it right they are very pretty

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast