Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > Spherical wheels zero friction levitation (Goodyear)

Author
Thread
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

Spherical wheels zero friction levitation (Goodyear) quote:

Requires no electrical energy expenditure to levitate, these are permanent neodymium/iron magnets attached to the inside of the car.

Zero friction, yes - zero friction losses.

Bundled with a 900 HP electric motor, could theoretically break the sound barrier fairly easily by my estimation.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-05-2017 02:47 PM
ZenOps is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

carson blocks
First Gear

What I drive: '16 Longhorn / '04 Z06 / MT-01
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

There are still frictional losses. Traction = Friction. Magnets instead of wheel bearings doesn't mean zero losses. Also, I'm probably just dense this morning but I'm not seeing how power is transferred to those tires, and how control inputs are given.

Originally posted by heavyfuel
like fuck if I ever want a toy that has an engine. Bikes, sleds, quads, no fuckin way. I much prefer to get on a mountain bike and earn it like a man. Real toys don't have engines. "Motor" and "sport" should never be associated with each other if you ask me.

Old Post 03-05-2017 05:34 PM
carson blocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carson blocks Click here to Send carson blocks a Private Message Find more posts by carson blocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyL
Second Gear

What I drive: 4x4
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

Think of it as the fixed magnet stator on a electric motor - the ball has dozens of fixed magnets around its circumference - electro magnets mounted in fender - roughly same location - then you just alter magnetic fields to make motion / lift / etc happen.

someone did a really cool kinex build of one a few years back... was pretty awesome if you could keep accurate position of the ball.

Old Post 03-05-2017 06:37 PM
AndyL is online now Click Here to See the Profile for AndyL Click here to Send AndyL a Private Message Visit AndyL's homepage! Find more posts by AndyL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R154
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.26
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Top left corner of the portion in the video with the Goodyear reply talking.

Just read it.... I think he made it??

Originally posted by ZenOps
I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Old Post 03-05-2017 07:42 PM
R154 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R154 Click here to Send R154 a Private Message Find more posts by R154 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HomespunLobster
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.15
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

How do you switch from "vehicle not turning but moving sideways" to "vehicle turning like a normal car"?

You'd have to keep it as a from Calgary to Edmonton car

Old Post 03-06-2017 01:30 AM
HomespunLobster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HomespunLobster Click here to Send HomespunLobster a Private Message Find more posts by HomespunLobster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jacky4566
First Gear

What I drive: is broken
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I would be more worried about suspension dampening. Every try driving a vehicle with busted shocks?

I suppose you could attempt it electronically but i have yet to see a working scenario.

Old Post 03-06-2017 01:59 AM
jacky4566 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacky4566 Click here to Send jacky4566 a Private Message Find more posts by jacky4566 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R154
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

They'd probably mount all the maglev systems to an independent subframe which would be dampened from the body conventionally or with solenoids/magnetic suspension.

By the time a vehicle like that is designed and built I'd have to imagine it would include a system which mapped the road and fed a processing system to preload or prepare the suspension in advance of road undulations. Maybe an avoidance system for critically large road deviations/potholes.

Itll be neat for sure.

I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Old Post 03-06-2017 05:35 AM
R154 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R154 Click here to Send R154 a Private Message Find more posts by R154 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

Great thinking - for a perfect climate. This probably wont work in any climate that packs wheel wells with snow and salt.

I can see some of the wet technology being passed down to present tires though.

Old Post 03-06-2017 04:29 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R154
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

I can't see her w this could be executed with practicality in mind.

Join me.

Old Post 03-06-2017 11:18 PM
The time now is 05:55 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > Automotive News > Spherical wheels zero friction levitation (Goodyear)

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: