Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Syncrude fire

Author
Thread
AndyL
Second Gear

What I drive: 4x4
Posts/Day: 0.48
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 99%

Syncrude fire quote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BradleyK...%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Doesn't look like plant 6 where it would be expected...UE1 coker maybe?

Not good anyway

Emergency crews are tackling a fire that broke out at Fort McMurray’s Syncrude base mine.

The Rural Municipality of Wood Buffalo confirmed shortly after 2 p.m. that the blaze broke out at the site.

More details on the size of the fire and potential injuries are expected soon.
https://www.google.ca/amp/edmontonj...rt-mcmurray/amp

Last edited by AndyL on 03-14-2017 at 10:11 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-14-2017 10:08 PM
AndyL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyL Click here to Send AndyL a Private Message Find more posts by AndyL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Another video; not on youtube yet.
https://twitter.com/979Rock/status/841758184217948160

Old Post 03-14-2017 10:23 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adam c
Second Gear

What I drive: has a turbo
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Hmm wife's dad works for Syncrude, not sure which area though, she can't get a hold of him

Old Post 03-14-2017 11:02 PM
adam c is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adam c Click here to Send adam c a Private Message Find more posts by adam c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gman.45

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

A couple friends working out there right now, most of the mine is being evac'd, huge traffic jam on the highway (obviously) still on going last txt message I got when I asked.

Man, just what Ft Mac needs, another fire.

There was a loud explosion which one of my friends said a co worker heard from a couple KM away from where the fire is, which preceded the fire starting.

They have very good fire crews and equipment on all the sites, and have an agreement to help each other out in situations like this, but depending on what's burning and where, it could be something easily extinguished and controlled, or something that takes weeks - I remember when I worked the fire in Ft Sask in the underground storage tanks there, it was the same month that 9/11 happened as I was coming home after we got the fire under control the morning the jets hit the towers - that took us 32 days to get under control, and mainly because it burnt out on its own, and not much to do with our efforts to extinguish it.

Last edited by Gman.45 on 03-14-2017 at 11:28 PM

Old Post 03-14-2017 11:24 PM
Gman.45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gman.45 Click here to Send Gman.45 a Private Message Find more posts by Gman.45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

^^ It shouldn't take weeks to extinguish for this type of facility

At worst it will be a vessel that will have to burn off. There should be MOV's throughout the upgrader that will choke it off.

Some lucky starving EPCM is going to get a nice re-build contract out of this. I did the rebuild for the Suncor fire in 2005, that was a solid 9 months of crazyness.

Last edited by Sugarphreak on 03-15-2017 at 12:46 AM

Old Post 03-15-2017 12:42 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redlined_8000
First Gear

What I drive: Beyond Fit 2017 Golf R, 2011 Silverado beater.
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (18)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ It isn't going to take weeks to extinguish

How do you know? Worked there?

Old Post 03-15-2017 12:45 AM
Redlined_8000 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redlined_8000 Click here to Send Redlined_8000 a Private Message Find more posts by Redlined_8000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by Redlined_8000

How do you know? Worked there?

Edited my post a bit, I thought it was Gestalt and I just noticed it was actually Gman.45

But yes, it won't take weeks for the reasons I posted above

Old Post 03-15-2017 12:49 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28

quote:

Can't be that bad, a coworker was told to still go up for a daytrip tomorrow after he checked with Syncrude

Old Post 03-15-2017 01:28 AM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

quote:

It shouldn't take weeks to extinguish for this type of facility

At worst it will be a vessel that will have to burn off. There should be MOV's throughout the upgrader that will choke it off.

In an idea properly designed facility, that's true. But if I build the site with motorized isolation valves that fail under fire, they're as good as useless in the fire hazard zone.

Old Post 03-15-2017 03:08 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cjblair
Second Gear

What I drive: Jap V8
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by Gman.45
A couple friends working out there right now, most of the mine is being evac'd, huge traffic jam on the highway (obviously) still on going last txt message I got when I asked.

Man, just what Ft Mac needs, another fire.

There was a loud explosion which one of my friends said a co worker heard from a couple KM away from where the fire is, which preceded the fire starting.

They have very good fire crews and equipment on all the sites, and have an agreement to help each other out in situations like this, but depending on what's burning and where, it could be something easily extinguished and controlled, or something that takes weeks - I remember when I worked the fire in Ft Sask in the underground storage tanks there, it was the same month that 9/11 happened as I was coming home after we got the fire under control the morning the jets hit the towers - that took us 32 days to get under control, and mainly because it burnt out on its own, and not much to do with our efforts to extinguish it.

I was in a meeting on site when this happened. The explosion was not audible (or would have been barely so) 2km away (my office is closer to the location than that and I didn't hear anything).

The fire was extinguished within just a couple minutes of ignition.

I won't say what specific plant it was in, but it was not plant 6 or UE-1 coker.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Can't be that bad, a coworker was told to still go up for a daytrip tomorrow after he checked with Syncrude

Well it's not not bad haha. A bunch of non essential staff was asked to go home, and others have been asked to stay in our offices/go no where near the incident location. All depends on where your coworker was heading.

Last edited by cjblair on 03-15-2017 at 03:26 PM

Old Post 03-15-2017 03:23 PM
cjblair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cjblair Click here to Send cjblair a Private Message Find more posts by cjblair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by jwslam

In an idea properly designed facility, that's true. But if I build the site with motorized isolation valves that fail under fire, they're as good as useless in the fire hazard zone.

It was one of the study recommendation outcomes for the Suncor fire, and I believe that companies that insure these facilities require similar facilities to upgrade to MOV's in high risk areas that can be operated specifically in the event of a fire, or they would face huge premiums.

Even legacy facilities should have them in place by now, I would be quite shocked if there wasn't.

Old Post 03-15-2017 03:53 PM
jwslam
Second Gear

quote:

Even legacy facilities should have them in place by now, I would be quite shocked if there wasn't.

Yet here we are in my company, still building new facilities without proper isolation.

Sure we put in the fire proofed MOV proven to work for 45 min into a fire, and then we cheap out on cables that will melt like chocolate chips.

Old Post 03-15-2017 04:20 PM
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

quote:

Originally posted by cjblair

Well it's not not bad haha.

I wasn't trying to be nonchalant about it, if it was BAD, they wouldn't be allowing anyone besides essential personnel on site. That's all I've been in situations where we've been evacuated or had trips cancelled. So yes, I agree its "not not bad" and obviously will affect production

This really sucks for them though, Syncrude FINALLY started producing at peak production which they have struggled to get to for years.

Old Post 03-15-2017 04:33 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

quote:

Sure we put in the fire proofed MOV proven to work for 45 min into a fire, and then we cheap out on cables that will melt like chocolate chips.

I love oil companies Deal with this kind of crap all the time.

Old Post 03-15-2017 04:35 PM
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

Yet here we are in my company, still building new facilities without proper isolation.

Oh probably, haha. Those MOV's are such a PITA to design for too... I have at least a dozen stories of how these things showed up and were far bigger and heavier that they were supposed to be, and we had to completely rework an area at huge cost to the client.

Old Post 03-15-2017 04:50 PM
The time now is 11:16 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Syncrude fire

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: