Quantcast
Tales By Light - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Tales By Light

Default Tales By Light

Anyone catch this series on Netflix yet? It's produced by Canon Australia in collaboration with National Geographic. Season 1 is six episodes following 5 photographers on their journey. Season 2 just debuted but is available only in Australia.

I've been watching, it's really well done! Highly recommend!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Well midnight was not the time to come across this series but wow, I just couldn't stop watching straight through.

They did an incredible job showcasing the photographer, but more importantly for me, the stories behind those shots. And what shots these people have!

I'm just blown away and elated by this. It's everything I think about in photography: the search for the next idea, the joy of the process and fulfillment of how people react to one's images.

Absolutely fantastic. I feel like I need to book a flight somewhere now
    Ultracrepidarian

I finally watched this.

It was just OK for me. Lots of annoyingly unnecessary product placement, but it's a sponsored show after all so that was expected. For me, the videography was far more impressive than any of the photos they showed. I'm sure those are some very talented photographers with amazing portfolios, but some of the photos they chose to show on the series were at best a travel snapshot - one of the tiger shots comes to mind. Many of the photos struck me as very normal shots made slightly better only because they went to a place not many people go to like Antarctica, or had access to an expensive DSLR drone & pilot who did most of the work. They got some great shots too, but I was surprised at some of the shots they chose to show when they presumably had hundreds or thousands to pick from. I almost felt like they were trying to justify some average shots with all kinds of fluffy artsy comments. I liked the shots from Alaska and the various tribes the best I think.

I enjoyed all the video, which I assume was largely drone footage. I had to keep reminding myself it was a photography show haha. I would watch season 2 for the awesome video footage and exposure to cool places I might not ever be able to go.

My Ride
    rally pig

^just because they were shooting Canon?

Not a big fan of staged travel photography, which I didn't know that's how Art Wolfe took some of his shots and I didn't link his name to the famous shot of the lion cubs playing with the RC camera until this show.
    Also while you'll get impressive results, I'm not a huge fan of drones and RC in general, but that's just me.
    But there were still some really good photos in there and overall what this show made is me wanting to travel more.

Looking forward to season 2

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Nikon biggest bang for your buck
    Ultracrepidarian

Why does it matter what they were shooting with? I don't think that was the point of the show.

I didn't like the staged shots as much either, especially of the people. Kind of like wedding photos, where the formals are super boring and the best shots always come when people don't know they're being photographed.

The guy in the Africa episode made it sound like he was the first person to ever put a camera on a RC haha.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah I finally got around to watching this last week.

I didn't noticed a lot of product placement, but I can see why Mitsu's complaining

For the most part I enjoyed it, but I thought the Art Wolfe guy was annoying and kind of full of shit in that annoying artsy way. "I'm here in Papua New Guinea photographing this ancient tribe that's isolated from the rest of the human world!" and the one guy is carrying a fucking AK-47. And I agree with Earl: I think using drones and RC cars to get your photos is kinda lame along with the way he spray and prayed his condor photos.

The other episodes I liked though.

Originally posted by msommers
    Well midnight was not the time to come across this series but wow, I just couldn't stop watching straight through.

They did an incredible job showcasing the photographer, but more importantly for me, the stories behind those shots. And what shots these people have!

I'm just blown away and elated by this. It's everything I think about in photography: the search for the next idea, the joy of the process and fulfillment of how people react to one's images.

Absolutely fantastic. I feel like I need to book a flight somewhere now
    It was the thought processes and adventures to achieve their vision that really stood out.
    I feel like I should insert the Ansel Adams quote here...

Well, for those who didn't mind Art Wolfe, you should check out his old series from the late 2000s. It's called Art Wolfe's Travels To The Edge. Twenty six episodes divided into two seasons.

Season 2 is up!

This programme contains product placement.