Quantcast
The BBQ and Smoking Thread - Page 27 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 27 of 142 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBQ and Smoking Thread

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I did a sirloin tip roast for easter and 110 wings for a bourbon night last night. I'm definitely on the "yellow mustard for a binder" train now. So easy, helps my rub stick and doesn't effect the flavor. Also I think when I'm doing leaner meats from here on out I am going to inject. That roast turned out awesome.

I'll need to do some modifications to my Bradley Smoker though because it really struggled with all of the wings.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Beef ribs today. We hung over as fuck this morning, so didn't do much prep. Will work out I'm sure.

EDIT, they worked out, although I had far too much rub on them, and had to scrape some off. I need to be a little less liberal with that stuff, a little goes a long way.
    it was something like a 4-1-1, although I wasn't careful with the times.
    Name:  20170708_173018.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  1.61 MB
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 07-08-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Hey @r3ccOs are you still competing?

Thinking of entering BBQ on the bow this year, checked out their comp this weekend at the stampede and chatted with the Rocky Mountain Smokers and they gave me a quick rundown, need to work on turning my normal BBQ into competition style stuff, and work on some sauces... but the chef's choice... that's got me a little stumped. Those guys won last year with a creme brûlée... so makes me think you probably want to shy away from an actual BBQ'd meat? But still something done over fire?

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Hey @r3ccOs are you still competing?

Thinking of entering BBQ on the bow this year, checked out their comp this weekend at the stampede and chatted with the Rocky Mountain Smokers and they gave me a quick rundown, need to work on turning my normal BBQ into competition style stuff, and work on some sauces... but the chef's choice... that's got me a little stumped. Those guys won last year with a creme brûlée... so makes me think you probably want to shy away from an actual BBQ'd meat? But still something done over fire?
    give it a go... and just enter all the categories, what do you have to lose?

take a judging class and you will learn what specifically the PNWBA is looking for in presentation, texture and taste...

what they are looking for is the best adherance to a "standard" not necessarilly the best tasting, and presentation accounts for alot. Sometimes we'll sandbag by putting in our box in after we see someone who is a newb put theirs in.

How you, your friends and your family may like your ribs, even maybe ar how the judges like them BUT they have to rule by the principles they abide to.

what I cook for my friends and family, I like... and have never won. WhatI compete with tastes "good" but isn't my style and is the most unhealthy thing you could imagine... (injections of nitrates, MSG, and processed rendering fats that turn a in vacuum sealed brisket into corned beef texture in 8 hours on a highish heat cook). The only thing that is similar to what I feed my family vs the Judges is the sauce (not even the rub because of the tenderizing agent)
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 07-09-2017 at 08:18 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah that's the part I understand in concept, but have never attempted... think I'll do a few test runs over the summer with what I can find from the more winning competition teams and go from there... if anything it should be a fun weekend. Seems like a great group of people

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Yeah that's the part I understand in concept, but have never attempted... think I'll do a few test runs over the summer with what I can find from the more winning competition teams and go from there... if anything it should be a fun weekend. Seems like a great group of people
    its acctually not that hard to find out what is used on all the forums...

here is a trick for everyone... you can order this (if its still being made) http://www.theingredientstore.com/ge...etails/888.htm

or make your own version up

this makes all the difference for a brisket and pulled pork

Ribs is less cheating, alot to do with presentation and nailing the flavor profile, again as what judges would want out of PNWBA (pacific north west bbq association)

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Rib practice tonight... SLC spares and some backs... tried some different stuff, triggs style butter coating then different rubs... layered two rubs on the SLC and did a different rub front to back on the backs, did a butter/brown sugar/honey and apple juice in the wraps (3-2-1 on both)

Learned a lot... 1) rib selection is important... as you can see with all the pull back on the top of the bones on the SLC, and was tough to get a good straight cut on them with how much of a bow the bones had 2) I really like spares over backs, I think the 3-2-1 works better with them, first time doing spares, and trimming... trimming was interesting 3) I think we need to zap the rubs with a coffee grinder, after wrapping and then the sauce (about 45min after firming up out of the wrap) the rub kinda clumped up and made them look uneven and darker than they actually were 4) silicone brush leaves brush marks... think I need something with softer bristles, I even cut the sauce with about 50% au jus from the wrap, so wasn't overly thick

Not really sure what they should taste like... but from hearing about the flavour profile I think we hit it pretty good... but not sure if it's strong enough? Cause we killed almost a rack each

I also did a "home cook" style rack... and going from these to those ones made them seem super boring haha

Name:  IMG_2304.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  120.1 KB

My Ride
    ute

awesome. spares are better...but backs are easier, so thats what you see them.

smoked ribs definitely don't need a bunch of sauce or rub - which people say is a classic mistake, over-rub. People sauce them because they cant get the smoke flavour

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah I prefer dry vs wet for sure... but being competition practice... ya gotta do what they want to see... first thing the guys told me... "it's not a sauce contest... but it's a sauce contest"

My Ride
    ute

oh sorry, i missed that this ws for comp...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah I guess it's more of a continuation of the above conversation haha, but first shot at this type of thing. I haven't actually even ate any competition food besides a few samples last weekend at the comp at stampede... but I went Saturday so only a few samples and no one had ribs out. Had some tri tip, brisket, pulled pork, and pork belly... flavour profiles were all over the map on all of it so didn't help much

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Did some lollipops today... not sure if I'm better off sticking to the classic competition thighs or doing these...

Name:  7A4BE8E4-CDBE-4F7E-8B26-B34290DA0730.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  62.6 KB

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Mad props on this man, you are doing a phenomenal job. Very cool.

I have been struggling to find the time to bbq this summer, the one time I tried I found out my wife "lost" the control cable for my Bradley
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

This thread has me salivating...

Does anyone have suggestions on where to get cheaper wood pellets for my smoker? Also looking to get a lid gasket as well, but everything online is obscenely expensive. Traeger seems to charge an arm and a leg for everything

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

my bags of chips are cheap at hardware stores and even superstore. I don't use pellets, so can't help you there.

Here's a question, anyone think there is a real flavour difference for chicken between apple and cherry wood? I have been using apple, but see cherry from time to time.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Mad props on this man, you are doing a phenomenal job. Very cool.

I have been struggling to find the time to bbq this summer, the one time I tried I found out my wife "lost" the control cable for my Bradley
    thanks... still a long way to go before sept, but as long as we dont come in last i'll be happy

my bags of chips are cheap at hardware stores and even superstore. I don't use pellets, so can't help you there.

Here's a question, anyone think there is a real flavour difference for chicken between apple and cherry wood? I have been using apple, but see cherry from time to time.
    *the above images brought to you by black cherry wood chunks

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm up early today doing some salmon. I had planned to do this in daylight, but being self employed, when someone wants a meeting to talk about more training, I can't really tell them I had other plans. I'll do a write up if I have time later today or tomorrow about "How NOT to do your smoked salmon." All fun. Good thing I'm not sell this stuff, because I'm on my way to ablumen town! CHoo CHoo. Fack I need a coffee.

I'm up early today doing some salmon. I had planned to do this in daylight, but being self employed, when someone wants a meeting to talk about more training, I can't really tell them I had other plans. I'll do a write up if I have time later today or tomorrow about "How NOT to do your smoked salmon." All fun. Good thing I'm not sell this stuff, because I'm on my way to ablumen town! CHoo CHoo. Fack I need a coffee.
    I know how you feel... I did a 40 hour smoke and bbq sessions for the Bark with Bam fundraiser last weekend. Needed gallons of coffee!!!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Smoked Salmon the wrong way

OK, here's my write up of the batch of smoked salmon I recently did. Note the title, I'm not recommending this shitshow method to anyone. Be more organized, it goes better.

Step 1) find salmon on sale at Superstore, but don't know how much you need or plan to smoke it right away. Freeze these whole salmons in your deep freeze for "soon".
    Step 2) several months later, realize they are still in your freezer and throw them on your counter to thaw.
    Name:  20170725_203036.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  126.4 KB
    Banana for scale, roses for class
    Step 3) realize you don't actually know how to fillet a fish properly, so watch four or five youtube videos while your giant goddamned fish thaw, which takes far longer than you expected.
    Step 4) fillet the fish, with much difficulty. Realize that the fish aren't fullly thawed and swear to yourself that next time you are buying fillets only. The cheaper price of whole fish isn't a great deal if your filleting procedure wastes a bunch of meat. Still have 6.8 KG of meat after my ineffient filleting. That's more than I was expecting.
    Step 5) brine the shit out of them, with salt and maple syrup. I did about 28 hours.
    Step 6) dry them in a cool spot with moving air. I used my AC vent for about five hours.
    Name:  20170726_232739.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  49.4 KB
    Step 7) realize that they aren't all particularly dry, and that the AC hasn't been blowing all night, so they aren't that cold either.
    Step 8) because you are a small business owner, you realize you need to run downtown right in the middle of the time you had been planning to smoke all this salmon. Motherfucker.
    Step 9) realize all this meat isn't going to fit in your smoker at one time anyway. So set up half of it, at a higher temp than you had originally planned so it can be done in three hours before you have to leave. Smoke using apple chips.
    Name:  20170727_052350.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  120.1 KB
    At least it's pretty
    Step 10) because I'm smoking this too hot and too fast, it's an ablumen party. No longer pretty.
    Name:  20170727_082001.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  61.9 KB
    take out the first batch, vacuum seal it and throw it in the freezer.
    Step 11) Set the second batch in at a lower more reasonable temperature and leave for your meeting.
    Step 12) have your meeting run long, and head home much later than you planned.
    Step 13) realize that it's a wicked hot day, and your electric smoker is hardly running in order to stay at temp. That means there has been very little smoke, and it's basically been baking. One tray of chips hasn't been used in six hours.
    Step 14) say fuck it and crank the heat after filling the water tray with ice cubes. Get some nice smoke rolling.
    Step 16) after two more hours, pull it out and vacuum seal it.

Results! The slow-smoked stuff in batch two was much drier and firmer. It for sure was well overcooked. However, both batches tasted great. I've come to the conclusion that smoked salmon is awesome, and I like to eat it. Had a big family picnic and about ten people eating this wth crackers, and got rave reviews all around.

Suggestions for others
    1) buy fillets and just smoke them right away. why fuck around with freezing?
    2) do it on a cool day in the fall or winter. Much easier to control the temperature of the smoker when it's cool outdoors.
    3) don't be scared of this process, if I can do it, you can do it better!

Page 27 of 142 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast