Quantcast
The Breathalyzer Challenge - Is 0.08 the right limit? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Breathalyzer Challenge - Is 0.08 the right limit?

My Ride
    2013 Ford Escape

Wow, this is disturbing. When you think of all the people out there that blow over the limit when caught drinking and driving, and then you consider that most people that have done this experiment feel way too drunk to drive long before they hit the 0.08, that's just scary. I'm normally too nervous to drive after one beer or glass of wine, though I usually feel fine after one highball. Wouldn't drive after two though.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by rage2

OK, so after some reading last night, tolerance is in fact the proper term, but there are multiple types of tolerances. Metabolic, and functional being 2. You're describing functional.

http://www.rochester.edu/uhs/healtht...tolerance.html

That's the tolerance I must be suffering from.

Here's a whole whack more.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa28.htm
    no no no, you are doing it wrong.

we can't BOTH be right. there has to be a clear winner and loser here. this just upsets the balance of beyond right there...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by spikers
    no no no, you are doing it wrong.

we can't BOTH be right. there has to be a clear winner and loser here. this just upsets the balance of beyond right there...
    My liver is clearly the loser!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    4g63 powered

I had an officer tell me that with my body weight of 170 , 3 beers would put me over the limit if it was in 15 minutes.

I've had 3 road tests now in town I think, over the years, one car and 2 bus I think. Never had more then 2 or 3 drinks, and have never blown more then .01 mayyyyybe .02 I think.

I can't recall for sure, but on one test I had just smashed 1 or 2 beer, and it didn't even pick it up. (test within 15 mins, 20 tops)

Another I had a few stiff rums over a couple hours, and it might have been the .02.

In my experience if you tell them you just had a drink (even with dinner) they made me blow, and I wouldn't have been showing any signs I was drinking, just happened upon road blocks.

At that time I was a heavy drinker, maybe 170 lbs, and could sit down and drink a flat (24 beer) over the course of an afternoon and evening and still be walking around semi functionable.
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 11-02-2010 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Here's a question for the cops, what happens if you have a GDL license and blow a .01 or whatever. I've heard from a few friends that if you blow any alcohol, you get the 24 hour suspension and impound but you don't get charged for impaired driving until you blow a .08.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by psycoticclown
    Here's a question for the cops, what happens if you have a GDL license and blow a .01 or whatever. I've heard from a few friends that if you blow any alcohol, you get the 24 hour suspension and impound but you don't get charged for impaired driving until you blow a .08.
    I think under GDL you get 30 day supsension, not 24 hours, which also means it will be 2 years after your suspension that you can try for a full license.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I think under GDL you get 30 day supsension, not 24 hours, which also means it will be 2 years after your suspension that you can try for a full license.
    Half right, but not completely. GDL means you get a 24 hour impound and a 30 day suspension. The amount you blow is irrelevant because the breathalyzer is set for a P for pass or an F for fail. If you have a .0000001 or a 1.0 blood alcohol level you will get slammed with the same shit.

Once your one month suspension is up, the GDL driver then has to wait an additional 1 year to take the test to receive his full graduated license.

Originally posted by beyond_ban

Half right, but not completely. GDL means you get a 24 hour impound and a 30 day suspension. The amount you blow is irrelevant because the breathalyzer is set for a P for pass or an F for fail. If you have a .0000001 or a 1.0 blood alcohol level you will get slammed with the same shit.

Once your one month suspension is up, the GDL driver then has to wait an additional 1 year to take the test to receive his full graduated license.
    Still not quite right. If a GDL driver gives a reading higher than zero, but not high enough to charge with being over 80, then they have to surrender their GDL license immediately. They are given a temporary license which is valid for one week starting 24 hours later (so basically a 24 hour suspension). At the end of the 7 days the temporary license expires and the GDL driver serves a one month suspension after which they can have their GDL license re-issued.

The 7 days I think is to give the GDL driver time to file an appeal of the one month suspension, it they so choose.

If they blow high enough to be charged criminally with driving over 80, then the police can follow those procedures instead (24 hour suspension, temporary permit for 21 days, then a 3 month suspension - or 6 months if bodily harm or death is caused as a result of the driving - followed by whatever punishment comes from the criminal charges) - but they can't lay both charges. If they do make a mistake and lay both charges, the charge of being a novice driver with alcohol in the system (which is a ticket) is a nullity - meaning it's that charge and suspension that gets pitched, not the criminal charge.

There's no requirement that the vehicle be impounded, but it's likely to be towed if there is a safety issue with leaving it where it is.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Does any of that suspension stay on their record/affect insurance?

My Ride
    Canyonero

Originally posted by beyond_ban

The amount you blow is irrelevant because the breathalyzer is set for a P for pass or an F for fail. If you have a .0000001 or a 1.0 blood alcohol level you will get slammed with the same shit..
    Not sure if this is true anymore. I blew a roadside test last January and the handheld roadside screening device displayed a number, not just a P or F.

Like many of the people in this thread, I think i'd done about 2 pints over the course of 4 hours. I definitely felt fine to drive but was suuuuper nervous about the test anyway. Blew a 0.000.

^My understanding is that the roadside tester displays a reading for amounts below the level at which they issue a 24 hour suspension, which I think is above 0.05, so if you're below that level, you can get a reading. Once you're in that range it doesn't display a numerical value, it just displays 'warn', and if you're at the level where you are in the area that you could be charged criminally, it displays 'fail', again without providing a specific reading.

If you are a GDL driver, and you blow a number greater than 0.00, or a 'warn', you get the 30 day GDL suspension. If you blow a 'fail', then you get on the bus or go to the station and provide more samples to get a specific reading and see if you're getting charged criminally or not for being over 80.

Any updates?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, last weekend, drank on a completely empty stomach. Could only put down around 20 drinks (same thing, combo of vodka highballs and vodka shots) and was wasted. Had probs walking and was stumbling everywhere. Only blew a 0.07.

At the point where I didn't feel comfortable to drive, I was blowing in the low 0.03's. Crazy.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I was personally hoping this thread would quietly disappear....

Went out again on Friday. I was drinking hi-balls and shots. I ended up hitting a 0.07 after about 4 hours. Thing is, I never really felt more drunk than last time and, again, I think that comes to fatigue.

I was wide awake and ready to go for more when we decided to call it (Thanks vodka and red bull!). I ended up puking later that night, which was hilarious because I forgot I'd eaten Wendy's, even during the puke. "Why the fuck is this chunky? I haven't eaten since lunch". Next morning I remembered the JBCs, hahaha.

Subject 4 was there as well and this time she was drinking bellini's (sp). She -slammed- two of 'em, Moxie-sized, in like 15 minutes and she only managed a 0.035 IIRC. We were all blown away. If you recall, two Smirnoff Ice's had this girl at 0.120 or some such ridiculous number. Seems you can really only absorb so much at once, so while her drunk lasted longer throughout the night, it took her longer to get there. She never took the shots with us, but ended up getting just as wasted by the end.

We ended up learning a few things from Friday night:
    1. Low alcohol % will tend to lead to a long-lasting rather than fast-acting drunk provided you hit your maximum absorption. The man who slams 3 shots will get drunk quicker than the man who shotguns 3 beer.

2. If you have a date to a comedy show, do not arrive piss-drunk. You will not get laid.

3. If you have a cold, 4-5 rounds of lemon drops will clear you right up

4. I am stronger than a 90lb girl. Booyah!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

2. If you have a date to a comedy show, do not arrive piss-drunk. You will not get laid.
    Thanks for the reminder asshole.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I think you guys should do a comparison side by side with a second breathalyzer. I am really wondering how accurate yours is from costco.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

and make it a different model and brand all together.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

results are simple: watered down vodka
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

We only drink premium vodka out of the bottle. We don't fuck around. None of that watered down house vodka from the tap bullshit.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast