Quantcast
The Gun Thread - Page 44 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 44 of 128 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gun Thread

My Ride
    Accord

(I started something in the general forum and it got closed, so here's my new attempt

Just got my PAL/RPAL in the mail last week and am ready to drop some money on a first gun. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, and it does need to be cheap. What would a good first one be, and where should I get it? I'm mostly thinking something to go pop gophers with (a nice ironsite .22), or just shoot random stuff at the farm (a cheap handgun). Somebody want to point me in the right direction?

My Ride
    Accord

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Mine took exactly 28 days from when they received to when it was approved. To speed things up, make sure you keep an eye on the status on the webpage. Once it shows up online, wait a week then call in for your interview and have your references call in. If the CFC has to call, they'll take their time.
    I just did mine (see above), and I think start to finish ws about 2.5 months. I sent in the application/money order early May, phone calls came in early June, and the card just arrived on Friday.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

You cannot shoot a handgun on a farm. (legally)
    Unless it's an approved range that you have built on your farm.

Ruger makes an SR22 rifle
    Great little .22 for around the farm.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Originally posted by chibwack
    (I started something in the general forum and it got closed, so here's my new attempt

Just got my PAL/RPAL in the mail last week and am ready to drop some money on a first gun. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, and it does need to be cheap. What would a good first one be, and where should I get it? I'm mostly thinking something to go pop gophers with (a nice ironsite .22), or just shoot random stuff at the farm (a cheap handgun). Somebody want to point me in the right direction?
    For a .22 CZ452 is a nice gun, very highly regarded. Ruger SR22 is good if you want to add a bunch of stuff to it and make it look like an assault rifle if you want.

You can't use your handgun on your farm...it's restricted so you'll need to be in a dedicated range. Didn't you just take the test? haha

There is no better bang for the buck, period, IMO than the CZ Shadow for a handgun. Won't find a single bad word written about it and they are insanely popular. Lots of other good choices too like the S&W M&P, Beretta 92, Glock, Sig 226, etc. etc.

My Ride
    Accord

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

For a .22 CZ452 is a nice gun, very highly regarded. Ruger SR22 is good if you want to add a bunch of stuff to it and make it look like an assault rifle if you want.

You can't use your handgun on your farm...it's restricted so you'll need to be in a dedicated range. Didn't you just take the test? haha

There is no better bang for the buck, period, IMO than the CZ Shadow for a handgun. Won't find a single bad word written about it and they are insanely popular. Lots of other good choices too like the S&W M&P, Beretta 92, Glock, Sig 226, etc. etc.
    Hah, yeah the farms 2 hours away so a club membership may just be in order anyway. I'll look into these CZ's, would bass pro be a good idea or do you recommend somewhere else?

Dirty_SOHC is offline 0.2 liters away from a good engine
    My Ride
    WRX

Originally posted by KRyn

Anyone using a small ultra-sonic cleaner to clean their hand guns after a long day at the range shooting dirty ammo? I have heard nothing but good things, I think I am going to pick one up to clean hand guns and small parts of my other firearms. It would be nice to have a large one I could just place my rifles and shotguns in!
    Deep frying is awesome and I do it every 500 rounds. In 12 minutes I can clean 2 pistols, like factory new. D'z Nutz disassembled my Sig 1911 for fun and only to find all the internals to be super clean. He left pretty sad for the reason that he couldn't put everything back together again!...hahaha

Last edited by Dirty_SOHC; 07-24-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Hah, yeah the farms 2 hours away so a club membership may just be in order anyway. I'll look into these CZ's, would bass pro be a good idea or do you recommend somewhere else?
    Online places usually have the best prices (Check Canadian Gun Nutz's list of sponsors).

The Shooting Edge *Can* have great prices, but definitely check them. I bought my Shadow there but they had a 10% off member appreciation sale at the time.

Proline can also be good, but it's a low volume shop.

I've never dealt with Basspro or Wholesale Sports but if they would be worth a call to check prices, and they may be more willing to match/beat a price than the smaller shops.

It's like anything, just shop it around a bit.

Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC
    [B]

Deep frying is awesome and I do it every 500 rounds. In 12 minutes I can clean 2 pistols, like factory new. D'z Nutz disassembled my Sig 1911 for fun and only to find all the internals to be super clean. He left pretty sad… for the reason that he couldn’t put everything back together again…hahaha
    What do those cost and what solution do you use in them? That looks awesome.

Dirty_SOHC is offline 0.2 liters away from a good engine
    My Ride
    WRX

I bought this unit off ebay for $225.00 and what sold me was that, it was heated and contained dual transducers

SRA Model TruPower UC-32D Stainless Steel Ultrasonic Cleaner.

- The unit is all Stainless Steel and has 2 industrial transducers.
    - It also has an isolated circuit design to protect from water damage.
    - It has a Digital timer and Digital Temperature Control.
    - It also includes the cover and a Stainless Steel basket

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Inside Tank Dimensions: 9.5" x 5.25" x 4" (240mm x 135mm x 100mm)
    Overall Unit Dimensions: 10.4" x 6.5" x 9.5" (265mm x 165mm x 235mm)
    Ultrasonic Frequency: 40,000 Hz
    Tank Capacity: .85 Gallon (3.2 liter)
    Timer: Digital Range: 1-30 Minutes
    Sonic Power: 120 Watts
    Heating Power: 100 Watts

Solutions-

-Ed's Red when warmed up to 60c, it worked really well, except for the smell that invaded my house.
    -Mil-Com MC25. One bottle 500ml can be mixed with water 3 L of water and it smells like oranges. I am a real big fan of the Mil-com product line, too bad it is not available locally.
    Last edited by Dirty_SOHC; 07-24-2012 at 10:10 PM.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Handguns cannot be discharged on the farm. Naughty Naughty. lol

One of the most accurate, semi-auto, iron sight, lightest, and cheapest rifles on the market is the Marlin 795. Super awesome to plink with. Take a look at some youtube videos by Nutnfancy. He does a lot of gear reviews and has a couple philosophy vids on .22 rifles.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

finally sent off my PAL and RPAL application.!

My Ride
    Accord

Originally posted by Tomaz

Handguns cannot be discharged on the farm. Naughty Naughty. lol

One of the most accurate, semi-auto, iron sight, lightest, and cheapest rifles on the market is the Marlin 795. Super awesome to plink with. Take a look at some youtube videos by Nutnfancy. He does a lot of gear reviews and has a couple philosophy vids on .22 rifles.
    I've heard of the marlin and it's actually towards the top of my list, right after a lever action lol. And only $160 on the basspro website!
    Last edited by chibwack; 07-24-2012 at 09:23 PM.

thinking about picking this up
    http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/produc...roductid=74819

emailed marstar to see if i can place the order while waiting for my license to come in.

I see there is a little sr22 talk! (exactly what I came to ask a question about!)

I've been looking at the sr22 for a plinking/ gopher rifle, I like the ar15 look/ feel of it as I'd eventually like to purchase one. However I have never had the opportunity to fire the sr22...

Does anyone own one? Anything you dislike about it? Pros/cons??

Thanks guys

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Originally posted by GQBalla
    thinking about picking this up
    http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/produc...roductid=74819

emailed marstar to see if i can place the order while waiting for my license to come in.
    Look at trade-ex and buy a russian, not a chinese....
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Accord

Originally posted by TurboMedic

Details? I was gonna grab the marlin on payday but if I can get a nice russian SKS I'm all ears, where do you go to get these? How much?

Originally posted by TurboMedic

any particular reason?

i was just going to get it cause it was a good deal.

Marstar informed me i could order it and they will ship it when i receive my license.

Originally looking to start out with a Ruger SR 22 handgun and rifle.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by vengie
    I see there is a little sr22 talk! (exactly what I came to ask a question about!)

I've been looking at the sr22 for a plinking/ gopher rifle, I like the ar15 look/ feel of it as I'd eventually like to purchase one. However I have never had the opportunity to fire the sr22...

Does anyone own one? Anything you dislike about it? Pros/cons??

Thanks guys
    My brother owns one, I've heard no complaints other than he had some feeding problems using cheap aftermarket mags.

The biggest 'con' is the price IMO, and the weight.
    You get a very well made rifle, it doesn't feel like a toy in your hand and one of the results of that is weight.
    You can get a mossberg tactical 22 for half the price, but the weight is not there and most of the body is plastics. The SR22 has a decent amount of metal.

Make sure if you buy an SR22 you get the one with the adjustable butt stock.
    just my 2c
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Depends on the day

How's this for old school? Winchester model 1894 build around 1916 and a pair of 1803 Prosser pistols.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Originally posted by GQBalla

any particular reason?

i was just going to get it cause it was a good deal.

Marstar informed me i could order it and they will ship it when i receive my license.

Originally looking to start out with a Ruger SR 22 handgun and rifle.
    The Russians are the originals, have better historical value, are generally more sought after than the Chinese sks's as they made them for about 5 years, have the nice flat blade bayonet....that being said I don't see the sks and ammo deal anymore on their page
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 44 of 128 FirstFirst ... 34 43 44 45 54 ... LastLast