Quantcast
The Gun Thread - Page 43 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 43 of 128 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gun Thread

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

The Norc 1911's are cheap 1911's, if you go in to it expecting it to outperform a kimber or a sig, or even handle in a similar manner, from what I've read you're going to be pretty upset about it. However, if you want a cheap gun that goes bang, people are satisfied with them.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

The ammo is a bit dirtier than most other brands, but then again it's quite a bit cheaper. I can't speak for the gun itself, but there's a lot of people who are quite happy with their Norinco's on CGN especially since it costs just a few hundred bucks. Some people even use them as the base of their project 1911's.
    so as long as youre regularly cleaning the gun that shouldnt be a huge issue i guess.

people generally seem to be happy with the pistol it seems. i have never actually fired a 1911 of any type so a cheap norinco might be a good place to start.

Originally posted by Go4Long
    The Norc 1911's are cheap 1911's, if you go in to it expecting it to outperform a kimber or a sig, or even handle in a similar manner, from what I've read you're going to be pretty upset about it. However, if you want a cheap gun that goes bang, people are satisfied with them.
    sounds about right. i am (obviously) not a professional or competitive shooter and i wouldnt be buying this for a 'collection' or show piece. its just a fun hobby.

for a little more than the price of an entry level 9mm i can end up with a 1911 and 1000 rnds. the 1911 platform seems like it should give me lots of opportunity to mod as i go if i wanted to as well.

maybe i will swing by the range and try to get some hands-on time with other 1911 models before i pull the trigger on this one (no pun intended). i cant imagine getting a significantly better price.

thanks for the replies guys. anyone happen to know when this sale expires?

Originally posted by cjblair

That's entirely untrue. If I saw you tresspassing and shooting on my land and you were there without asking, I'd be quite unimpressed. What a stupid thing to tell other people to do.

I'm going to explain what I do a little more so people stop getting bent out of shape. The land that I usually go on is crown land, You are allowed to shoot/hunt on crown land as long as its not on a grazing lease (aka, if there are cows there.). I'm talking like a three hour or more drive from calgary. Even if it was someones land you would be hard pressed to find their house even if you wanted to ask. Most times you will be out for 5 hours and not even see another car. I also shoot on a lot of drilling leases, I have talk to the workers and they say they don't give a shit. Its not like I pull up in some ones back yard and start poping off rounds.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by HO2S

Go north of the city, south is too farm land. Look for grazing fields. Something that hasn't been plowed in a few years.
    Most land owners don't give a shit if your shooting gophers, I've found most welcome it. Cows break their legs in the holes so the less the better. Really if the owner sees you standing on their land with a rifle their going to know what you doing. Clearly use some common sense and don't shoot right by the guys house or his cows. If their is no hunting or trespassing signs you need to respect that.
    In this post you specifically talk about going on private land (i.e. refer to a land owner, his house). This is a stupid thing to do without permission.

I'm going to explain what I do a little more so people stop getting bent out of shape. The land that I usually go on is crown land, You are allowed to shoot/hunt on crown land as long as its not on a grazing lease (aka, if there are cows there.). I'm talking like a three hour or more drive from calgary. Even if it was someones land you would be hard pressed to find their house even if you wanted to ask. Most times you will be out for 5 hours and not even see another car. I also shoot on a lot of drilling leases, I have talk to the workers and they say they don't give a shit. Its not like I pull up in some ones back yard and start poping off rounds.
    Shooting on crown land is another story. I would never argue against this.

At the end of the day, all my land is south, so I don't have to worry about you shootin all my gophers. More for me.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

But your first post is this:

Go north of the city, south is too farm land. Look for grazing fields. Something that hasn't been plowed in a few years.
    Most land owners don't give a shit if your shooting gophers, I've found most welcome it. Cows break their legs in the holes so the less the better. Really if the owner sees you standing on their land with a rifle their going to know what you doing. Clearly use some common sense and don't shoot right by the guys house or his cows. If their is no hunting or trespassing signs you need to respect that.
    And then this:

I've been doing it that way for 20 years, never been asked to leave once. Granted the places I go there are no houses in sight.
    If your shooting game, You must have permission. For vermin no one cares.
    I don't know if you actually go onto crown land like your latest post says, or if you just do whatever you want like the first two say. I think it's probably the latter. Anyway, the point, which you've missed, is that if someone is asking where to go to shoot, and you know that crown land is okay and private land is not, that's a pretty important thing to mention so they don't just drive until they find a pasture and start blasting. Which is what your first post says is okay, and your second post confirms as not being a problem. Only now that you've been called on it does crown land figure into anything.

cjbalir is a faster typer than me.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by s3v3n
    maybe i will swing by the range and try to get some hands-on time with other 1911 models before i pull the trigger on this one (no pun intended). i cant imagine getting a significantly better price.
    TSE carries Norinco, though I don't know if they have any in stock.

Originally posted by s3v3n
    anyone happen to know when this sale expires?
    Last time it was until they went out of stock.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

TSE carries Norinco, though I don't know if they have any in stock.
    good tip! i had checked their website but it didnt look like they sold any norinco. i will try to stop by.

Originally posted by SKR

But your first post is this:

And then this:

I don't know if you actually go onto crown land like your latest post says, or if you just do whatever you want like the first two say. I think it's probably the latter. Anyway, the point, which you've missed, is that if someone is asking where to go to shoot, and you know that crown land is okay and private land is not, that's a pretty important thing to mention so they don't just drive until they find a pasture and start blasting. Which is what your first post says is okay, and your second post confirms as not being a problem. Only now that you've been called on it does crown land figure into anything.

cjbalir is a faster typer than me.
    Ok back to private land then, The last time I talked to a land owner I was getting out of my car when he pulled up. He asked what are you doing here, I said just shoting some gophers. The land owner says awsome try to kill them all. I personaly know at least 5 people that own pasture that dont care about gopher shooting.
    What I do works for me. My whole life I have been shooting gophers, Ive never had a problem. If you feel that you should ask. Then ask. Its not like I stompall over peoples shit and dont care. I even pick up my caseings because I reload them. Im not saying what I do is right, but it works for me.

Originally posted by cjblair

In this post you specifically talk about going on private land (i.e. refer to a land owner, his house). This is a stupid thing to do without permission.

Shooting on crown land is another story. I would never argue against this.

At the end of the day, all my land is south, so I don't have to worry about you shootin all my gophers. More for me.
    Craig, really you cant say shit because driving into a feild and shooting from the windows of your truck is way more illegal than trespassing. I at least walk.

Its richard btw, how's it going?

My Ride
    V8s

HA! Its good man, how about you?

For the record I haven't shot out of the windows for ages now. Definitely not worth the risk of gettin caught, and its a lot more peaceful when you're not listening to a duramax idling for 3 hours. haha

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Thought I would mention a few things I found at TSE yesterday:

Ruger SR1911 on the shelf! Nobody there seemed interested in talking to me about it, but there was one on display minimum.

Lots of crated ammo on sale. I noticed that there is 115grain 9mm ammo on sale for $109 for 500 rounds. That's 0.22/round!!!

I noticed .308 on sale and some 12ga. target loads. also, but I don't remember prices right now.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

that's a good price on that 9mm...might have to go by there tomorrow on my day off.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Originally posted by Tomaz
    Lots of crated ammo on sale. I noticed that there is 115grain 9mm ammo on sale for $109 for 500 rounds. That's 0.22/round!!!

Do you recall what brand that 9mm was? If they aren't reloads I'll probably pick some up.

You can get factory American Eagle FMJ for the same price if you buy by the 1000ct....I paid either $220 or $240 for 1000 rounds, I can't remember, so it's close.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

MFS
    FMJ, Zinc Plated, Steel Case.

I just happen to have the pic on my phone still. lol
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Thanks.

A quick search suggest's it's dirty, and a little harder on the gun but accurate & cheap. Lots of guys running them through Glocks with no issues based on my quick search.

Probably just fine for the average shooter.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Thanks.

A quick search suggest's it's dirty, and a little harder on the gun but accurate & cheap. Lots of guys running them through Glocks with no issues based on my quick search.

Probably just fine for the average shooter.

Anyone using a small ultra-sonic cleaner to clean their hand guns after a long day at the range shooting dirty ammo? I have heard nothing but good things, I think I am going to pick one up to clean hand guns and small parts of my other firearms. It would be nice to have a large one I could just place my rifles and shotguns in!

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

On a side note, I am looking for suggestions for refinishing the barrel on my .22. It had rusting issues with the intense humidity out at my place lately. Now I have the humidity controlled, I am looking to refinish my barrels, but with something more resilient than blueing. Like a Cerecote, or dura-cote.

Next question would be where to get the suggested finishing options before the weekend. lol
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by Tomaz
    On a side note, I am looking for suggestions for refinishing the barrel on my .22. It had rusting issues with the intense humidity out at my place lately. Now I have the humidity controlled, I am looking to refinish my barrels, but with something more resilient than blueing. Like a Cerecote, or dura-cote.

Next question would be where to get the suggested finishing options before the weekend. lol
    Have you looked into parkerizing?
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

The ultrasonic thing sounds like an awesome idea, even if just for the barrel. I'd be very interested if they worked well and weren't super expensive.

TSE has a complementary cleaning station though, so that's not too bad either.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by Modelexis

Have you looked into parkerizing?
    I believe that is what is on my shotty. Is it like a matte finish, a bit textured (when compared to a painted surface)?

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    The ultrasonic thing sounds like an awesome idea, even if just for the barrel. I'd be very interested if they worked well and weren't super expensive.

TSE has a complementary cleaning station though, so that's not too bad either.
    They work wonders actually. I use my friends quite a bit. He uses mostly for cleaning his cases for reloading, but with the proper cleaner, we have used it on bolts, actions, frames. We still do a little bit of detail work with regular cleaner, but otherwise just throw some oil on it and you are good to go!
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Page 43 of 128 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast