Quantcast
The Gun Thread - Page 41 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 41 of 128 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gun Thread

Has anyone bought one of the sks rifles from TSE?? If so how did you clean all the cosmoline from it without destroying the wood??

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by elite
    Anyone know the standard waiting time to get your gun license? Sent mine in a few weeks ago (for restricted and non-restricted) and was hoping to get it before hunting season so I can complete my hunters course.

Also some sweet guns you guys have here; what would you recommend for a beginner lefty (want to start off with a rifle for hunting).
    Mine was about 31 days because one of my references took his time to call in. 20 minutes after he called the status changed to Your license has been issued, I had it a few days after that.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Originally posted by vengie
    Has anyone bought one of the sks rifles from TSE?? If so how did you clean all the cosmoline from it without destroying the wood??
    Just buy one online with a crate of ammo....TSE is pricey
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Dirty_SOHC is offline 0.2 liters away from a good engine
    My Ride
    WRX

I have 1280 rounds of 7.62x39 for $200.00 if you are interested in buying it...

Polish surplus made in 1987.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

w00t w000000t! Finally got a hold of the Ruger SR1911.

I love 1911's so much, I had to get a few in different calibres.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

I like the middle one. What calibres?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Wow - starting quite the collection!

With a child on the way, I don't want to have too many guns in the house. One is quite sufficient; as much as I love guns.

Originally posted by GREENBOY
    Given there are literally next to no cases of aggressive home invasions involving anyone other than criminals targeting other criminals over debts, arguments, BS etc, why do people feel the need to have a firearm to protect their home?
    This is entirely true. But let's just say for a second that you *are* that rare individual who has someone walking up the stairs to your bedroom. Are you going to feel better defending you and your family with a shotgun or a fork?

Exactly.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 07-10-2012 at 10:42 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Go4Long
    I like the middle one. What calibres?
    From left to right: .22, 9mm, and .45. Realistically the .22 isn't a keeper. I just got it so my sisters can join me at the range and shoot at their hearts content without worrying about it costing too much. First time out they were excited to try shooting until they kept missing the target and got discouraged pretty quickly Once they get a little better and are more comfortable shooting, I'm selling it.

It even came with a fake silencer which, IMO, looks retarded

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Wow - starting quite the collection!
    Haha thanks, but I'm done for this year.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

yeah, .22 1911's are for the most part gawbage. I've never heard of anyone being overly happy with theirs, to many F2F issues.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    With a child on the way, I don't want to have too many guns in the house. One is quite sufficient; as much as I love guns.
    I don't understand the rationale here (but congratulations), if stored properly 50 guns are no more dangerous than 1.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Once they get a little better and are more comfortable shooting, I'm selling it.
    When you decide to sell it, lemme know. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I'd rather not pay the retail price.

Where did you find a Ruger sr1911 in stock?
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

I actually love my GSG. The problem like mentioned is the accuracy. I am trying out a new, tighter fitting barrel bushing to see if it fixes the problem. How could one dislike the fake can? The looks I was getting at my last competition were priceless.

AS for finding the SR1911, I found one at Wholesale Sports last Thursday. I believe it was going for $600-$700. Mr. Nutz, please let me know what you think of it. I was saving up for a Para Ordinance, or STI, But if the Ruger shoots good out of the box, I just might get that instead.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Modelexis

When you decide to sell it, lemme know. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I'd rather not pay the retail price.

Where did you find a Ruger sr1911 in stock?
    Sure. When I sell my GSG 1911-22, it'll also come with 3 mags.

I poached the last SR1911 from Wholesale Sports.

Originally posted by Tomaz
    AS for finding the SR1911, I found one at Wholesale Sports last Thursday. I believe it was going for $600-$700. Mr. Nutz, please let me know what you think of it. I was saving up for a Para Ordinance, or STI, But if the Ruger shoots good out of the box, I just might get that instead.
    Yeah it was $699.95. I'm glad you didn't get it otherwise I would've missed out on it! This was one of the cheapest prices in Canada. Given the price and huge backorder of it, they're a little harder to find right now. Arma-coat up in Edmonton (supposedly) has two big orders coming this month and next if you want to be put on the wait list.

I'd skip the Para 1911's. From the reviews I've read on CGN they're pretty shitty. I considered an STI too until I held one. It felt pretty cheap to me (although it IS a cheap gun) so I opted to spend a little bit more for something quite a bit better in build quality. Plus the name stamping on the slide is fucking hideous. If all the reviews I've read about the SR1911 are even remotely accurate, it's the best bang for the buck right now.

Another cheap option to consider is the Remington R1. It's the same price point as the SR1911 so they're often compared against one another and you could go either way on one. I considered getting that over the SR1911 since it is more widely available, except I didn't like that it was a Series 80 gun and a GI model. The cheapest place to get that right now is Ellwood Epps ($683 for matte black, $740 for stainless ) They have one for display at TSE but it's kinda expensive compared to Ellwood.

If you're looking to eventually get extra mags and a holster, the Sig Sauer 1911 Tac Pac is a good buy at $1100. There's two versions of the kit. One comes with a railed gun, a (cheap) laser sight, holster and two mags. The other has no rail and three mags instead of the laser sight. P&D has them in stock.

Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
    Does anyone know of any place you can go to shoot some gophers?

I'm just looking for a place to shoot my rifle that isn't indoors or at homestead or at a paper target.

Do people usually just call up landowners and ask to shoot on their property?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

-TT
    Go north of the city, south is too farm land. Look for grazing fields. Something that hasn't been plowed in a few years.
    Most land owners don't give a shit if your shooting gophers, I've found most welcome it. Cows break their legs in the holes so the less the better. Really if the owner sees you standing on their land with a rifle their going to know what you doing. Clearly use some common sense and don't shoot right by the guys house or his cows. If their is no hunting or trespassing signs you need to respect that.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by HO2S

Go north of the city, south is too farm land. Look for grazing fields. Something that hasn't been plowed in a few years.
    Most land owners don't give a shit if your shooting gophers, I've found most welcome it. Cows break their legs in the holes so the less the better. Really if the owner sees you standing on their land with a rifle their going to know what you doing. Clearly use some common sense and don't shoot right by the guys house or his cows. If their is no hunting or trespassing signs you need to respect that.
    Don't do that. One, it's disrespectful to just start using someone else's stuff ("stuff" being their land, in this case). Two, it's unsafe, because what do you know about a place you've never been? Three, because it's illegal, even if there aren't any signs.

Find a house, go in and ask first. Yes, they'll probably let you, or know someone who will, but it's not for you to decide what's okay and what isn't.

Originally posted by SKR

Don't do that. One, it's disrespectful to just start using someone else's stuff ("stuff" being their land, in this case). Two, it's unsafe, because what do you know about a place you've never been? Three, because it's illegal, even if there aren't any signs.

Find a house, go in and ask first. Yes, they'll probably let you, or know someone who will, but it's not for you to decide what's okay and what isn't.
    I've been doing it that way for 20 years, never been asked to leave once. Granted the places I go there are no houses in sight.
    If your shooting game, You must have permission. For vermin no one cares.
    Last edited by HO2S; 07-14-2012 at 02:33 PM.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by HO2S

I've been doing it that way for 20 years, never been asked to leave once. Granted the places I go there are no houses in sight.
    If your shooting game, You must have permission. For vermin no one cares.
    If you're showing up on someone's property uninvited and unannounced, you're disrespectful, unsafe and illegal. It doesn't matter if you've been doing it for 20 years, or you do it where there's no houses so you don't get caught. It's not a good idea, and it's really shitty advice to give to someone who might not know any better.

I know that if I saw someone walking, or worse, driving, on my farm land without having the courtesy to at least let me know, they would have my full attention and in a very short amount of time I would have theirs. It doesn't matter if you think you're doing me a favor. I'm sure there are lots of nice people who, after they found out what you were doing, wouldn't mind and would let you continue. I wouldn't, and I know lots of neighbors who wouldn't either. Some of them would involve the police, and depending on the mood I was in and how much damage you were doing, I might too. What's the penalty for trespassing?

Just ask first. It's easy.

Edited to bold the important part.

Thanks SKR for the advice. I would definitely ask first before going onto anyones property to shoot. You have to respect the landowners otherwise I would be ruining it for everyone else if I were to just trespass and start shooting.

On another note, it doesn't seem like the prairie dogs are out this year. I've seen maybe a handful dead on the road between Calgary and Chestermere - usually you can see them from the side of the road but not this year. Oh well - for now I'll just go skeet shooting instead.

Just picked up a shotgun, not really meant for skeet but I think it'll do just fine. Remington M887 Nitro Mag Tactical with 18.5" barrel

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
    Just picked up a shotgun, not really meant for skeet but I think it'll do just fine. Remington M887 Nitro Mag Tactical with 18.5" barrel
    Why do people buy 'tactical' shotguns in the first place? It's not for home defense; it could be used for protection when hiking? It's funny to see guys trying to shoot clays with short barreled shotguns. The clay gets more than 20 feet from them and they can’t hit them.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by KRyn
    Why do people buy 'tactical' shotguns in the first place? It's not for home defense; it could be used for protection when hiking? It's funny to see guys trying to shoot clays with short barreled shotguns. The clay gets more than 20 feet from them and they can’t hit them.
    What does it matter to you, it's not your money. Do you always go around telling people how they should and should not spend their money?

I bought a surf board a few years ago to lean up against the wall in my place, no oceans around here, that's a lot stupider than buying a tactical shotgun in terms of functionality, and I knew that when I bought it. Although the fact remains that I felt like owning a surfboard and I thought it was worth spending the money that I had earned.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 07-16-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by Modelexis

What does it matter to you, it's not your money. Do you always go around telling people how they should and should not spend their money?

I bought a surf board a few years ago to lean up against the wall in my place, no oceans around here, that's a lot stupider than buying a tactical shotgun in terms of functionality, and I knew that when I bought it. Although the fact remains that I felt like owning a surfboard and I thought it was worth spending the money that I had earned.

I am simply inquiring why he bought such a gun, I never implied that he shouldn't buy it or he should buy something different. Holy Christ you are a plug.

P.S - Cool story bro! Congratulations on buying a surf board!
    Last edited by KRyn; 07-16-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Page 41 of 128 FirstFirst ... 31 40 41 42 51 ... LastLast