Quantcast
The Official Beyond.ca Badminton Thread - Page 158 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 158 of 162 FirstFirst ... 148 157 158 159 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 3226

Thread: The Official Beyond.ca Badminton Thread

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by botox

The Chans lost!! They were playing Cenovus and there was a ton of errors on both sides and Cenovus came out with the win. But Shells ladies stepped it up and won the girls doubles and mixed so Shell they still ended up with the win. I hate playing at Talismans main gym and it has to be the worst place for badminton.
    Yea I heard that. I heard's KC's MD partner was awful? Who was it?

The Chans lost!! They were playing Cenovus and there was a ton of errors on both sides and Cenovus came out with the win. But Shells ladies stepped it up and won the girls doubles and mixed so Shell they still ended up with the win. I hate playing at Talismans main gym and it has to be the worst place for badminton.
    I thought Shell played Suncor in the finals not Cenovus...

Pretty sure Cenovus mens doubles was show boating with 360 drop returns and lost 0-3 in round robin to CNRL...
    J

Originally posted by jwslam

Yea I heard that. I heard's KC's MD partner was awful? Who was it?
    KC was playing with RC, but they were both making a lot of mistakes.

Originally posted by Mys73ri0

I thought Shell played Suncor in the finals not Cenovus...

Pretty sure Cenovus mens doubles was show boating with 360 drop returns and lost 0-3 in round robin to CNRL...
    Sorry my bad you are correct, it was Suncor not Cenovus.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

KC was playing with RC, but they were both making a lot of mistakes.
    Oops. i knew that. I meant to ask about KC's XD partner

Keith didn't play mixed, Randy did and I think they won all three games.

Man, has it really been 5 years since we all used to play at the talisman center? Crazy...

My Ride
    12 TL

Anyone still play?

My Ride
    NC1

First post 7.5 years ago. Holy crap.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I had a crew going sunday mornings to ClearOne. Kinda stopped after xmas. Lemme check if it's back up and running.

edit: confirmed they're still going 10am-1pm. I may or may not go this week.
    Last edited by jwslam; 02-25-2016 at 11:40 AM.

My Ride
    12 TL

Howdy y'all,

I recently moved back to Calgary and started playing at Sunridge Badminton.

I currently play on Sundays & Tuesdays

Around intermediate level if anyone is down for a session.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm learning fundamentals through friends at ClearOne. Down to basics shit.

Good cardio.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by flipstah
    I'm learning fundamentals through friends at ClearOne. Down to basics shit.

Good cardio.
    I'll bite. Let me know when you're going again!

What would you guys recommend for an intermediate racket for all-round play, $100-150 range? Sunridge Badminton has a sale on and they carry Yonex, Proace(I think that's it?) and I'm not sure what else, probably Victor.

My racket I think was good back in the day but I got it in Jr. High or High School and it is probably 15+ years old haha. It's full of chips, needs a new grip, has weird strings. etc.

The lady at Sunridge said people love the ProAce racket, but I didn't get the model number. I have read up on the basics, and it sounds like I want an Isometric head, 20-23 lb strings, and something good for all-round play. I play almost exclusively doubles and I'm decent but nothing compared to all the Asians I see in there tearing it up haha.

I see a lot of recommendations online for the ArcSaber 11 but it's too expensive and probably too "pro" and too stiff for me haha. Perhaps something lower in the ArcSaber lineup? Or does anyone know anything about Proace? All I know is it's an Malaysian brand, and the lady at Sunridge said they are so popular some people are buying two.

TIA
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-28-2016 at 11:34 AM.

My Ride
    2005 F350

I dunno anything about Pro-ace rackets but I do know that I have a Victor X90 that isn't being used.

http://www.victorracquets.com/PRODUC...0/Default.aspx

Bought and strung with BG80 at 26lbs from Sunridge badminton centre so it is local with warranty.

Asking $160.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Depends on your personal preferences. There's days where I use a head-heavy and on days my wrist doesn't like that I have a light racket. My rackets are ancient: Ti-10 first gen and Li-Ning something (got it dirt cheap off a friend)

Re: grip and strings. Grip is cheap to replace for stringing, I have access to a string machine I can teach you to do your own! (disclaimer, my first time took me 2+ hours and still came out with mistakes).

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    What would you guys recommend for an intermediate racket for all-round play, $100-150 range? Sunridge Badminton has a sale on and they carry Yonex, Proace(I think that's it?) and I'm not sure what else, probably Victor.

My racket I think was good back in the day but I got it in Jr. High or High School and it is probably 15+ years old haha. It's full of chips, needs a new grip, has weird strings. etc.

The lady at Sunridge said people love the ProAce racket, but I didn't get the model number. I have read up on the basics, and it sounds like I want an Isometric head, 20-23 lb strings, and something good for all-round play. I play almost exclusively doubles and I'm decent but nothing compared to all the Asians I see in there tearing it up haha.

I see a lot of recommendations online for the ArcSaber 11 but it's too expensive and probably too "pro" and too stiff for me haha. Perhaps something lower in the ArcSaber lineup? Or does anyone know anything about Proace? All I know is it's an Malaysian brand, and the lady at Sunridge said they are so popular some people are buying two.

TIA
    If you get an intermediate racket, chances are it comes with shitty strings. I much rather get a simpler racket but spend $15-30 to get someone to restring it for you with a good string (BG-65Ti for durability/performance, or BG80 if you want something a little more aggressive) and tension (Maybe go 21 lb on the tension if you're more of a beginner/intermediate player). Get a Yonex grip for it, and that racket is gonna be way better than an off the shelf $150 racket.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 07-28-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Originally posted by Disoblige

If you get an intermediate racket, chances are it comes with shitty strings. I much rather get a simpler racket but spend $15-30 to get someone to restring it for you with a good string (BG-65Ti for durability/performance, or BG80 if you want something a little more aggressive) and tension (Maybe go 21 lb on the tension if you're more of a beginner/intermediate player). Get a Yonex grip for it, and that racket is gonna be way better than an off the shelf $150 racket.
    Everything I looked at came without strings, that would be extra. SBC has a deal where any strings are $20 with the racket purchase.

Looking to spend $100-150 (less 25% off with the sale) and then +$20 for strings.

21lbs sounds about right, on the "beginner side of intermediate" of the tension ranges I was reading about (19-20 beginner, 21-24 intermediate, 25+ advanced). I have my moments haha but doubt I hit hard enough to take advantage of the really tight strings.

Yonex ArcSaber 7 seems to be advertised as an all-rounder, but I think it's $200+ still.

I know it's probably best to have 2-3 rackets but I need to just pick one. I play everywhere from short/net to back smashes/clearing. I don't expect whatever I buy to be the best for either, but somewhere in the middle will be enough.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-28-2016 at 01:25 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

For me, I've never been impressed or happy with an intermediate racket (made in Taiwan). Already spending $100-150 but no where near the quality of the nice rackets that are made in Japan. And even I notice the quality difference between newer rackets made in Japan vs older rackets made in Japan. The older are better.

I rather just get a cheaper $50-75 one that's also made in Taiwan as I see minimal gains unless you go for the nice ones. Then later if you think you'll play more seriously, get a nice one. You can use the racket matrix on Yonex's site to see some of the differences of the models.

http://www.yonex.com/products/badminton-racquet-matrix/

Just my 2 cents!

P.S.: I only use Yonex rackets so what I say is based on this brand only.

So I found the one SBC recommends so highly. The lady there claims several people have bought two of them they like them so much. What do you think of this:

http://www.protech-sports.com/230_17...ech/index.html

They are $115 and then 25% off which seems reasonable.

All the ArcSabers are like $240 so those aren't happening unfortunately.

That Yonex chart is super helpful - looks like several Voltric and Nanoray models would suit my style as well.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I also found this enormous chart which seems helpful:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...-review.45209/
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-28-2016 at 01:53 PM.

My Ride
    2005 F350

honestly, at this point in your badminton career, the racket doesn't really matter. get an okay racket, have it strung with a decent string like BG80 (which holds tension well, nice and thin so will last for those of us that aren't heavy hitters) and just go out and play.

until you get a little more advanced, you can upgrade to one that suits your personal game better. headlight, head heavy, stiff or flexible shaft, grip size, string tension, etc.

I see so many players that have the latest and greatest gear out there and they don't even hold the racket properly, have no footwork, just basically horrible players. haha.

just go buy a decent racket and shoes and have fun.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Page 158 of 162 FirstFirst ... 148 157 158 159 ... LastLast