Quantcast
The Official Beyond.ca Badminton Thread - Page 159 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 159 of 162 FirstFirst ... 149 158 159 160 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 3226

Thread: The Official Beyond.ca Badminton Thread

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    So I found the one SBC recommends so highly. The lady there claims several people have bought two of them they like them so much. What do you think of this:

http://www.protech-sports.com/230_17...ech/index.html

They are $115 and then 25% off which seems reasonable.
    It's advertised as being super light, so your ability to react and defend will be better. But your power will suffer. I don't know this brand from Malaysia so I can't comment on quality/feel. Some people confuse being super light as a better racket, but it depends on the type of player you are (defensive, offensive).

Originally posted by SOAB
    I see so many players that have the latest and greatest gear out there and they don't even hold the racket properly, have no footwork, just basically horrible players. haha.

just go buy a decent racket and shoes and have fun.
    This too, lol. You gotta earn your racket, or you look like such a poser :P

And good court shoes help a ton! I've been using Yonex shoes for the past few years, but then I realized Kobe 11's are actually an excellent court shoe for Badminton too, lol.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 07-28-2016 at 02:07 PM.

I feel like paying $75-100 for a racket and decent strings is reasonable. Much cheaper than that and the rackets get pretty crappy from what I can tell. I am definitely in the intermediate category. No way do I need these $240 rackets though. Apparently I keep my rackets for 15 years so I want something that will last me a while haha.

I already look like a poser being the only white person in there I couldn't care less what someone thinks about my racket.

My Ride

Oh no, for sure. That's perfectly reasonable for a racket price range. Just commenting to SOAB as latest/greatest gear usually means $250+ rackets.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Oh no, for sure. That's perfectly reasonable for a racket price range. Just commenting to SOAB as latest/greatest gear usually means $250+ rackets.
    Yeah all the Arc Sabers (the easy recommendation it seems...) are $235-$245. 25% off is tempting but after strings and tax you're still looking at $200 which is more than I need to spend at my level.

I'll probably just go down there and accompanied with a little research on my phone, pick something that the staff recommends.

Chips don't affect play, regrip and restring is easy. Looks aside, what is it that your old racket isn't doing that you think it should be doing?
    heloc that shit

Originally posted by lint
    Chips don't affect play, regrip and restring is easy. Looks aside, what is it that your old racket isn't doing that you think it should be doing?
    It has a super weird cross string design at the edges, so a portion of the hitting area is wasted. At the very least I would need new strings & grip. It's a Black Knight racket from 15+ years ago. My parents bought it for me in Jr. High I believe. I can't even find a google image of it haha, I'd have to check the model when I get home. It's an OK racket but just really old. It's not an Isometric design which I think would be good for me. I am playing more badminton now than I ever did in the past and I think it's just time for a refreshed racket seems as I can get one quite cheaply.

My Ride
    2005 F350

since there was a revival of this badminton thread, I though I would add this here in case anybody was interested in playing a little more competitively.

http://ignitebl.com/

looks like there are different divisions, skill levels, etc. great way to get out and play some meaningful games against people you don't know.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

You really need to play with it to know if it's really right for you. String tension also makes a difference. I have a lot of rackets with all the weight combinations and superlights. If have time Sunday mornings come to Sunridge and you can try any of them out to see what suits you before you buy.

I had to buy before August 1 to take advantage of the sale, and I ended up with a Protech racket (Malaysian brand) that the person working there seemed to be very fond of and used himself. They use Japanese graphite, same as Yonex. 3U weight, balanced weight distribution, isometric head, seemed like a good all-rounder. 24lb BG80 strings. I am really happy with it and my game has noticeably improved already, I am much more consistent especially with the short game and back hand clears. It's noticeably better with off-center hits as well.

Thanks for the offer botox - looks like I didn't see it in time, but it ended up working out.

My Ride
    M

Does anyone know if there is any badminton social club that I can join in SW Calgary or at SBC? I have played for fun (not competitions) before. I am currently learning the proper techniques at SBC and wondering if I can join a club or something to get more exposure.

My Ride
    NC1

lint and I dropped in last night at Talisman to smack some birdies for the first time in a few years. Talisman is dead now with SBC and Clear1. $8 cheap rate from 930-11pm.

Maybe can get some games going again? I'm there most nights but could use a friendly game or two for a finisher.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Fuckkkkkk I wanna try badminton again. Started squash this year and love it.. need more adult things to do than just party

My Ride
    M

max_boost, would you be interested in playing at SBC some time? I am a beginner/intermediate player.

My Ride
    NC1

probably not. i just drop in talisman for some weights and then some light rallying + a game to finish off a workout.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    M

Do you go to Westside? Or just Talisman?

My Ride
    NC1

just talisman. i'll be there tonight with a buddy to crush some weights and then hit some birdies for 15-20mins. really easy going haha
    I am user #49

My Ride
    M

Ahh ok. Have fun!

My Ride

Wow, almost makes getting a membership there worth it if the courts aren't busy there anymore.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Anyone play at Clear 1 here or want to play like once a week?

I am an intermediate player.

I had a group to play with every week, but then slowly people started to bail out. Now we haven't played in like 3 months.

My Ride
    M

Went to SBC last week during weekdays for drop-ins. Not too busy. Anyone interested in playing at SBC during the evenings on weekdays?

Page 159 of 162 FirstFirst ... 149 158 159 160 ... LastLast