Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler around Africa

Author
Thread
jacky4566
First Gear

What I drive: is broken
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Awesome Adventure Dan, Keep on trucking!

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-14-2017 04:20 PM
jacky4566 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacky4566 Click here to Send jacky4566 a Private Message Find more posts by jacky4566 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

OTown
Neutral

What I drive: '15 Tacoma TRD DCLB
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Sounds like a muddy mess! I guess they probably dont even have a road budget there haha

Old Post 03-14-2017 07:54 PM
OTown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OTown Click here to Send OTown a Private Message Find more posts by OTown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grecy

What I drive: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Posts/Day: 0.00
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by OTown
Sounds like a muddy mess! I guess they probably dont even have a road budget there haha

In that part of the country I'm pretty sure there isn't even an electricity or drinking water budget!

-Dan

--
WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Old Post 03-15-2017 09:20 PM
Grecy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grecy Click here to Send Grecy a Private Message Visit Grecy's homepage! Find more posts by Grecy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grecy

quote:

Here's a video of that mud hole I just put on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRqKFgq...=theroadchoseme

-Dan

--
WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Old Post 03-15-2017 09:24 PM
Grecy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grecy Click here to Send Grecy a Private Message Visit Grecy's homepage! Find more posts by Grecy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grecy

quote:

Hey all,

After days of mud and intense sun and humidity, I'm ready for beach time.

Where better than the Ivory Coast... Coast ?

These may just be the best beaches I have ever seen, anywhere in the world.

Read the full story: http://theroadchoseme.com/ivory-coast-coast

-Dan

--

Old Post 03-19-2017 09:38 PM
Grecy

quote:

Hi All,

After a quick stop back in Mali to pickup one last visa before the big trek South, I have driven into African country number nine, Burkina Faso !

Read more here: http://theroadchoseme.com/into-burkina-faso

-Dan

--

Old Post 03-29-2017 01:06 PM
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

this is awesome!

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 03-29-2017 08:39 PM
dirtsniffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grecy

quote:

Hi All,

I'm checking out the sights of Southern Burkina Faso which are stunning!
I can't believe nobody talks about these kinds of places!

Here are "Les Pics De Sindou" - natural sandstone formations. I had the whole place to myself so I wandered around for the morning:

Lots more pics: http://theroadchoseme.com/les-pics-de-sindou

-Dan

--

Old Post 04-05-2017 08:05 PM
civic_stylez
Second Gear

What I drive: starts with a screwdriver...
Posts/Day: 0.23
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

So cool Dan! Living the dream dude!

Old Post 04-06-2017 05:59 PM
civic_stylez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for civic_stylez Click here to Send civic_stylez a Private Message Find more posts by civic_stylez Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grecy

quote:

Hi All,

I camped on the shored of Lake Tengrela in Burkina Faso.

THIS is the kind of campsite I dreamed of long before this trip began!
Massive baobab trees, hippos grunting near the Jeep and friendly locals!

Read More: http://theroadchoseme.com/around-lake-tengrela

Best campsite of the trip so far, hands down!

-Dan

--

Old Post 04-10-2017 04:27 PM
Grecy

quote:

Hi All,

I will be doing a LIVE interview tonight at 8PM CT on the Jeep Talk Show.

You can listen live on YouTube at the link below. Check the video now for a countdown in your local timezone.

You can also Call-in and ask me a question once the show starts! - (302)-202-1110 (then enter code 219835)

https://youtu.be/YMKxUvAyXaI

Talk to you tonight!

-Dan

--

Old Post 04-11-2017 04:29 PM
Grecy

quote:

Hi Everyone,

I am still moving through Southern Burkina Faso, and visited the UNESCO-listed Ruins of Loropeni

Here's my campsite right next to the ruins:

Read More: http://theroadchoseme.com/the-ruins-of-loropeni

-Dan

--

Old Post 04-20-2017 01:42 PM
Grecy

quote:

Hi All,

Being treated like a wallet with legs can sometimes get the better of me.

At the famous Houses of Tiébélé in Southern Burkina Faso I had more than I can handle.

Read more about one of the major downsides to travel in West Africa: http://theroadchoseme.com/tiebele-and-greed

On that note, it's time for another country!

-Dan

--

Old Post 04-23-2017 03:48 PM
D88

What I drive: FT86
Posts/Day: 0.06
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Is anyone else a little put off when Dan fills half a blog entry about having to pay an extra $3 USD? He even goes as far to claim the guy asking for the money is earning $24 USD an hour ($8 for a 20 minute tour). Is he actually getting enough visitors for 3 tours an hour?

I assume one of the reasons travellers like Africa is because it is cheap once you're there but I feel like sometimes people like Dan, in this case, forget how little it is actually costing them even in the long run. I don't know Dan but maybe his budget is really that tight? Or is it just the dishonesty of the people there that is the bigger annoyance? I would like to know which it is.

Old Post 04-24-2017 11:06 PM
D88 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D88 Click here to Send D88 a Private Message Find more posts by D88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BerserkerCatSplat

What I drive: Jeep of Theseus
Posts/Day: 1.32
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Originally posted by D88
Is anyone else a little put off when Dan fills half a blog entry about having to pay an extra $3 USD? He even goes as far to claim the guy asking for the money is earning $24 USD an hour ($8 for a 20 minute tour). Is he actually getting enough visitors for 3 tours an hour?

I assume one of the reasons travellers like Africa is because it is cheap once you're there but I feel like sometimes people like Dan, in this case, forget how little it is actually costing them even in the long run. I don't know Dan but maybe his budget is really that tight? Or is it just the dishonesty of the people there that is the bigger annoyance? I would like to know which it is.

I can't speak for Dan, but dealing with people seeing you as a walking wallet day after day after day would really wear thin on me. I also believe his budget is pretty tight after that debacle with the OM diesel swap before his trip started.

Old Post 04-25-2017 03:51 AM
BerserkerCatSplat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BerserkerCatSplat Click here to Send BerserkerCatSplat a Private Message Visit BerserkerCatSplat's homepage! Find more posts by BerserkerCatSplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Despair*
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16

quote:

Originally posted by D88

Nope, not put off at all. I don't believe Africa is cheap at all. Considering the flight over and depending on what you are doing it can cost a lot. I've known friends that have traveled in Africa and it's was not a cheap trip. Also Dan is traveling for 2 years, he would need to stick very closely to his budget, every small expense can add up when you are gone for that long.

From his blog post: "White man, give me something", I don't know about you but I'd grow very tired of people expecting me to give them something at every new place and constantly hounding you for money and made up fees.

Last edited by Despair* on 04-25-2017 at 03:03 PM

Old Post 04-25-2017 02:14 PM
Despair* is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Despair* Click here to Send Despair* a Private Message Find more posts by Despair* Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Type_S1
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Africa is actually very expensive to travel. Almost all the main tourist sites have a heft fee attached to them. Everyone is looking for a handout and if you are too generous it adds up quick. Th major cities are just as expensive as anything in Europe or North America (meals at $20 a price, beers are $5). When I was travelling I would simply ignore these folks and walk away as almost everywhere has "your guides" and if you ignore them they eventually leave you alone. Just pretend that you speak an obscure language (Russian, polish?) and they will give up.

Old Post 04-25-2017 02:45 PM
Type_S1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Type_S1 Click here to Send Type_S1 a Private Message Find more posts by Type_S1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

I got a taste of this in Marrakesh. It's annoying but that's how it is as a tourist if you are getting around on your own. Some of these kids deserve an Oscar for their hustling ability.

It's not cheap either, a basic lunch is $200 dirhams for two people which is about $27 CAD.

Safe travels Dan.

Old Post 04-26-2017 12:40 AM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grecy

quote:

Hi all,

The replies said it as well as I can, so I will leave it at that!

--

It's hard to believe, I have just driven into African country number TEN on this expedition!

Read about the crossing into Togo: http://theroadchoseme.com/into-togo

-Dan

--

Old Post 04-26-2017 04:57 PM
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Originally posted by D88

The principle of it would be annoying, but given the amount of stress and general displeasure it seems to cause him in some situations, I thought the same thing - not worth ruining a part of the trip or putting yourself through unnecessary stress for $3, especially when it only happens occasionally. Not worth arguing with them either, they don't GAF, and will still do it to the next person regardless of the scene you make. Surely there was enough leeway built into the budget to cover some $3 payments, especially when it's well known that much of Africa is like this and anyone going there knows to expect it. It would be poor planning to not have considered it, and it looks like Dan has planned pretty well.

I thought the $24/hr comment was odd too - it's not really comparable unless that guy has a few random white tourists wandering through per hour, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. Maybe he does though, I have no idea. From the blog I get the sense that the guy would be lucky to see one person a week.

That said I'm obviously not there, so I'm just going off of what I read in the blog. Anything that stresses you out that much or ruins your day is not worth it - in Africa or not. If you're stressed or upset you aren't thinking clearly, and that doesn't seem like the place to not be at the top of your game.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt on 04-26-2017 at 05:55 PM

Old Post 04-26-2017 05:52 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 03:52 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler around Africa

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: