Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice


Author
Thread
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

Location: Da Hood
What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.24
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

I think you need to have the right personality for sure. You can't be a complete psychopath but you can't be afraid to fight if you need to. Calm, rational, logical, strong character and morals. Someone who can be trusted in a drug house surrounded with cash.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-30-2017 04:38 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
 
revelations
Third Gear

Location: calgary
What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%


quote:

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I think you need to have the right personality for sure. You can't be a complete psychopath but you can't be afraid to fight if you need to. Calm, rational, logical, strong character and morals. Someone who can be trusted in a drug house surrounded with cash.



Calm assertive is a good personality type - if you're one of the 10% of bystanders who don't stand around with bystander effect. you're also good first responder material.

Most good cops also have a switch/trigger where you go from calm to full on fight/defense in 1/2 second. You need to maintain that composure though in some bad situations as once that switch gets pulled, it usually involves needless paperwork. Explaining to your Sarg why you flipped the switch on some clown yelling names at you is no fun.

You avoid provoking a situation as much as possible, but respond with massive force if need to be to defend yourself or the public. Seasoned guys have the switch "wired" for much higher threshold.

__________________

Last edited by revelations on 03-30-2017 at 05:49 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-30-2017 05:46 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hallowed_point
Third Gear

Location: Da Hood
What I drive: J35Y2
Posts/Day: 1.24
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

Originally posted by revelations
Calm assertive is a good personality type - if you're one of the 10% of bystanders who don't stand around with bystander effect. you're also good first responder material.

Most good cops also have a switch/trigger where you go from calm to full on fight/defense in 1/2 second. You need to maintain that composure though in some bad situations as once that switch gets pulled, it usually involves needless paperwork. Explaining to your Sarg why you flipped the switch on some clown yelling names at you is no fun.

You avoid provoking a situation as much as possible, but respond with massive force if need to be to defend yourself or the public. Seasoned guys have the switch "wired" for much higher threshold.



Exactly. You're not the dude with his phone out yelling worldstar at the crackhead groping a woman on the c-train.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-30-2017 06:02 PM
Hallowed_point is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hallowed_point Click here to Send Hallowed_point a Private Message Find more posts by Hallowed_point Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gestalt
Newbie

Location: Calgary
What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%


quote:

A good cop should not he unstable enough to switch to flight or fight at all. That is a raw emotional out of control state.

A good cop would always have his full wits about him.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-01-2017 01:22 PM
Gestalt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gestalt Click here to Send Gestalt a Private Message Find more posts by Gestalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phil98z24
Newbie

Location: Calgary, Alberta
What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%


quote:

Originally posted by Gestalt
A good cop should not he unstable enough to switch to flight or fight at all. That is a raw emotional out of control state.

A good cop would always have his full wits about him.



Making a conscious decision to tactically pull out of a situation, or engage with necessary force, is an example of having control of yourself. Doing it without consideration of the circumstances, lawful placement, authorities, necessity, reasonableness, or acceptable outcomes is a raw emotional state and that is unacceptable. Good police officers can make all those considerations, within a practical and reasonably acceptable manner, within mere moments, and go from 0-60 in the blink of an eye. Those are the type of people revelations is talking about, and I think you're maybe misinterpreting what he is trying to say.

__________________
---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-01-2017 04:48 PM
phil98z24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for phil98z24 Click here to Send phil98z24 a Private Message Find more posts by phil98z24 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 08:00 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
 
Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice



Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread


Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON
 

Google
 
Web beyond.ca

Terms of Use - Contact Us - Advertising Info - Archives - Car Blog

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.9
Copyright ©2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Bringing Car Enthusiasts together in discussion on our car forums

Page Statistics : Page generated in 0.09510493 seconds (82.66% PHP - 17.34% MySQL) with 31 queries.