Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice

Author
Thread
Rat Fink
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by vengie
What does CPS define as "Criminal Activity"?

Would it be something as simple as having a few beers in the parking lot after a hockey game? Using company supplies (I.e washer fluid) in your personal vehicle? Or are we talking full on bank robbery.

I've understood it to mean any criminal code offence. Beers in a parking lot is provincial gaming and liquor regs offence (not criminal) but the other examples you have of theft and robbery are.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-23-2016 11:36 PM
Rat Fink is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rat Fink Click here to Send Rat Fink a Private Message Find more posts by Rat Fink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

leftwing
Neutral

What I drive: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Posts/Day: 0.10

quote:

In my opinion the process although thorough, is kind of a crapshoot. I have never been through the process but have close friends who have been through, both accepted and deferred.

I know a guy who said reasons for his deferral included: 1) drinking beers in parking lot after hockey - gives a bad impression of drinking and immediately getting into your vehicle. 2) Not progressing in rank at current job.

I have also seen a guy get accepted who also drank parking lot beers (ironically with the same guy who got deferred^^), and who had no real experience other than working a high school/uni summer job and going to uni (didn't finish with any degree/diploma - failed a few courses).

Old Post 02-25-2016 10:54 PM
leftwing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for leftwing Click here to Send leftwing a Private Message Find more posts by leftwing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nismorphed
Neutral

What I drive: 2016 Tacoma street queen
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Saw a pretty cute girl cop the other day. Just thought you should know

Hope you having fun out there dood!

Old Post 02-25-2016 11:34 PM
Nismorphed is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nismorphed Click here to Send Nismorphed a Private Message Find more posts by Nismorphed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Khyron
Second Gear

What I drive: 13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (52)
User Rating: 105%

quote:

I download movies from TPB every now and then - so alas, I'd be given the boot.

Old Post 02-29-2016 03:57 AM
Khyron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Khyron Click here to Send Khyron a Private Message Find more posts by Khyron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MalibuStacy
Neutral

What I drive: 2001 Taurus Road Warrior
Posts/Day: 0.14

quote:

Update

I handed in my application and have found out my eyes (near-sighted and with astigmatism) may actually completely keep me out (sigh). My only options are to pursue corrective eye surgery, unfortunately I am not a viable candidate for Lasik, leaving me with lens insertion being my only option.

With this in mind I actually applied to an after degree in Education as a backup plan (I already love working with kids, and my current full-time employment deals primarily with kids)

So one more referral, wish me luck...

Originally posted by speedog
So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

Old Post 02-29-2016 10:32 PM
MalibuStacy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MalibuStacy Click here to Send MalibuStacy a Private Message Find more posts by MalibuStacy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Schumacher16

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Best of luck dude!

Old Post 03-08-2016 04:56 AM
Schumacher16 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Schumacher16 Click here to Send Schumacher16 a Private Message Find more posts by Schumacher16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cam_wmh
First Gear

What I drive: VW R32 Turbo
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Originally posted by jabjab
Try not to be in the news for excess force causing death or injury. Hopefully they have courses now to train officers in this regard. We need more educated police

That's why I like seeing more & more CPS members from the UK. They manage to de-escalate without a gun.

Originally posted by sputnik
Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Old Post 03-09-2016 07:11 PM
cam_wmh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cam_wmh Click here to Send cam_wmh a Private Message Find more posts by cam_wmh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nzwasp
First Gear

What I drive: 2013 Toyota Highlander Sport
Posts/Day: 0.19

quote:

Originally posted by Khyron
I download movies from TPB every now and then - so alas, I'd be given the boot.

Seems like a bit of a grey area on that. I mean if it were truly illegal then ISP's would be forced to send you to a court to get fined instead of sending you an anonymous letter to say "stop it"

Sort of the same thing as speeding in your car, they know it was your car but they don't know that "you" committed the crime.

I think it would be more along the lines of smoking bud or drinking and driving or anything that shows up on your criminal record.

As an aside on this does anyone know if minor offences get wiped off your criminal record after a certain length of time, I think they enacted the same sort of thing when I lived in NZ but not sure if it exists here.

Old Post 03-09-2016 07:26 PM
nzwasp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nzwasp Click here to Send nzwasp a Private Message Find more posts by nzwasp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Schumacher16

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by nzwasp

Seems like a bit of a grey area on that. I mean if it were truly illegal then ISP's would be forced to send you to a court to get fined instead of sending you an anonymous letter to say "stop it"

Sort of the same thing as speeding in your car, they know it was your car but they don't know that "you" committed the crime.

I think it would be more along the lines of smoking bud or drinking and driving or anything that shows up on your criminal record.

As an aside on this does anyone know if minor offences get wiped off your criminal record after a certain length of time, I think they enacted the same sort of thing when I lived in NZ but not sure if it exists here.

They're not looking for people who are claiming that stealing movies off pirate bay is a "grey area." They want people who know the difference between taking advantage of technology in an illegal fashion and honesty. That doesn't mean you won't be hired if you've ever downloaded music or movies, it just means you aren't likely to proceed in the hiring process if you've done it recently. They aren't looking for perfect people, just honest people. If you're seriously interested in applying and have downloaded stuff illegally, delete all of it from your devices and cease downloading stuff from now on.

Old Post 03-09-2016 08:46 PM
Schumacher16 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Schumacher16 Click here to Send Schumacher16 a Private Message Find more posts by Schumacher16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phil98z24

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by cam_wmh

That's why I like seeing more & more CPS members from the UK. They manage to de-escalate without a gun.

They have firearms units in the UK, who get called a lot. The guys who I'm friends with here, or know, all thank their stars we are armed here. This concept of "de-escalation without a gun" as their only MO or SOP is complete fallacy. I'm sure if you had someone pointing a gun at you or a member of the public, shooting it, or stabbing you or a member of the public to death, you'd be happy to have that pistol ready to use in that moment. Armed police stop things like the wing nuts with axes and machetes from attacking and beheading people on streets in the middle of English cities, and waiting for a firearms unit doesn't.

I'd go on but it's a firmly entrenched school of thought on this particular topic.. So that's my quick and dirty pinch of perspective on it.

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Old Post 03-09-2016 09:05 PM
phil98z24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for phil98z24 Click here to Send phil98z24 a Private Message Find more posts by phil98z24 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

At least 2 of my friends admitted to Torrenting in their hiring process for CPS/RCMP and it did not disqualify them - I wouldn't worry about that. The entire panel interviewing you probably does it too haha.

Old Post 03-09-2016 09:42 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rat Fink
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32

quote:

Just to bump this thread...

There's an excellent upcoming information session that will include recruiters from several agencies. It doesn't seem to be making too many rounds on the internet and I know there are several beyonders without work or are considering career changes....

As taken from the CPS Facebook page:

March 16, 2017
6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

We will be hosting a joint recruiting information session featuring 8 police services. Edmonton Police Service, Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Alberta, Medicine Hat Police Service, Saskatoon Police Service, Blood Tribe Police Service, Tosguna Tsuut'ina Nation Police Service, Lethbridge Police Service and CPS will all have recruiters to provide information and answer questions.

All information sessions are held at the Calgary Police Service Westwinds Campus 5111, 47 Street NE EAST BUILDING - Enter via 47 Street NE off McKnight Blvd. NE.

You do not have to pre-register. Please attend with photo ID.

http://join.calgarypolice.ca/

Old Post 03-05-2017 05:59 PM
Rat Fink is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rat Fink Click here to Send Rat Fink a Private Message Find more posts by Rat Fink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShermanEF9
Second Gear

What I drive: '13 F150 King Ranch, 99 Civic SiR
Posts/Day: 0.40
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
At least 2 of my friends admitted to Torrenting in their hiring process for CPS/RCMP and it did not disqualify them - I wouldn't worry about that. The entire panel interviewing you probably does it too haha.

they don't care about most of it as long as you're honest and not a pedophile.

Old Post 03-08-2017 01:06 AM
ShermanEF9 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ShermanEF9 Click here to Send ShermanEF9 a Private Message Find more posts by ShermanEF9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

If you're torrenting insane amounts (as in going over data cap on a regular basis) - even recently - Im sure that could cause issues with the CPS. My impressions are the RCMP dont seem to care as much.

Old Post 03-08-2017 03:00 AM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shakalaka
WILSUU2

What I drive: SCUZEM3
Posts/Day: 0.76
Trader Rating: (56)

quote:

Have family members (cousin/close friends etc) that are CPS and RCMP. Apparently the key is to be completely honest regardless of what you've done cause otherwise during the polygraph you'll be screwed. For drug consumption, from what I was told if you haven't done anything for the preceding 3 years then you'll be fine.

But do remember though; if you have done something in the past that is considered a serious offence, i.e., sexual assault, involvement with underage girls, trafficking drugs etc and you admit to it you can get criminally charged.

Old Post 03-08-2017 05:13 AM
shakalaka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shakalaka Click here to Send shakalaka a Private Message Find more posts by shakalaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 10:03 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: