Quantcast
Towing a Tent Trailer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Towing a Tent Trailer

My Ride
    2007 G5

Default Towing a Tent Trailer

A few years back we bought a 2012 Dodge Journey RT 3.6L engine V6. We assumed we would be able to pull a small tent trailer. We have a towing capacity of 2500 pounds.

Well, now we are looking into it and I"m not sure we can. We've had mixed responses so I'm not sure who to believe. One we were looking at and it was 1574 pounds dry weight and 2287 GVWR but it sold. If anyone knows one who is selling one around this size let me know.

The others we are looking at all go to about 1800 dry weight and 3000 GVWR. This is where we are getting mixed info. I've talked to a few different RV dealers and Dodge dealers and some say yes some say no. We don't need to travel with water in the tank so that could shave off a couple hundred pounds.

I had no idea tent trailers could be so heavy
    Colleen

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Older tent trailers were lighter. Newer ones have a lot more stuff in them. You may find that you really do want to travel with water in the tank too. Once you own a trailer, you will absolutely end up filling it to the max, and your journey will STILL be 100% full. Don't kid yourself.

Whatever you do, I highly recommend when you buy your trailer, you take it to the nearest CAT scale (the truckstop) and get axle weights.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

You simply need to shop for a light one (8' box) which you can purchase new or used. We picked up the one below last year from kijiji. It had fridge, stove, BBQ, furnace, water tank and sink (electric water pump). A friend has a similar one that he bought new and it weighed about the same. If I recall correctly around 12-1400 lbs dry. I towed it with my old Volvo no problem at all with a class 1 hitch (1.25" receiver, 200lbs tongue weight, 2000lbs towing capacity.)

[IMG][/IMG]
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Something to remember that a lot of people forget is that don't pay attention to the dry weight as that trailer will never be "dry", people get confused with that term in thinking no water/grey/black in the tanks. Dry in the trailer weight world means completely unloaded with no camping supplies or anything else in the trailer besides how it came stock from the factory.

Also, when calculating your weights, you have to factor in the weight of the people in the van, all the camping supplies, and equipment, propane in the tank(s), pets, food, etc, etc... all totalled up, it can not exceed the max GVCW of the van, regardless if the trailer is below the max towing number.

One we were looking at and it was 1574 pounds dry weight and 2287 GVWR
    1574 dry weight is the fully unloaded trailer weight as it came stock from the factory, and the 2287 is the maximum weight of the trailer and anything you put inside it.
    Last edited by spikerS; 03-21-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2007 G5

So no for the 1800 dry weight one? We woukd mostly just use it for weekeND camping so not cargo. We probably wouldn't travel with water either.
    Colleen

Originally posted by 90_Shelby
    You simply need to shop for a light one (8' box) which you can purchase new or used. We picked up the one below last year from kijiji. It had fridge, stove, BBQ, furnace, water tank and sink (electric water pump). A friend has a similar one that he bought new and it weighed about the same. If I recall correctly around 12-1400 lbs dry. I towed it with my old Volvo no problem at all with a class 1 hitch (1.25" receiver, 200lbs tongue weight, 2000lbs towing capacity.)

[IMG][/IMG]
    Year/ model?! That's exactly the kind of trailer I am looking for. You'll help
    Me focus my search!

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Lilac Wine
    So no for the 1800 dry weight one? We woukd mostly just use it for weekeND camping so not cargo. We probably wouldn't travel with water either.
    well, lets start with this, what is the GVCW for your journey? and typically, how many people will go camping with you?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Silverado

Who knew a journey would be so sad? Shit, my wife's rogue can tow 2000 lbs.

My Ride
    2007 G5

Originally posted by spikerS

well, lets start with this, what is the GVCW for your journey? and typically, how many people will go camping with you?
    What is GVCW? It would be me, my husband and our toddler at the moment.
    Colleen

My Ride
    2005 F350

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating is what your vehicle along with all the passengers and cargo, as well as the trailer can weigh.

i don't think a tent trailer can really carry that much water anyway so most of the weight is gonna be camping gear. chairs, grill, utensils, stuff for the kid, etc.

find a tent trailer in the 1200-1500lb range and i think you should be fine.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Originally posted by vengie

Me focus my search!
    can't lie... thats the coolest little popup I've seen

My wife was pulling a 12' utility with a polaris rzr loaded up with her v6 charger. Buy a reasonable trailer for your journey and you will be fine. Keep the GVWR to under 2500lbs like a Flagstaff 176LTD for example.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Step 1, locate this decal on your Journey, should be inside the doorframe of your driver's side door.

Use the following rough numbers for calculating weights.
    Husband - 200lbs
    wife - 150lbs
    baby 50lbs
    camping equipment and food, 250lbs

Total is ~650 lbs.

Then, you have to find a trailer that would be under 2500lbs maximum allowed weight. Once you find one, the next important number is the tongue weight of the trailer. lets say it is ~400lbs. You have to add that weight to the 650lbs, so that bring it up to 1050lbs.

The curb weight of your dodge journey is somewhere around 4200lbs. So, we add the 4200 + the 1050 lbs of cargo on the journey and we get roughly 5250lbs.

We then go back to that sticker inside your door frame, and we look at the max number. If your numbers for occupants, cargo, and trailer tongue weight combined is less, you are good to go, more, and you need to find a way to shed some weight.

Keep in mind, as I have presented this is a general overview, and should not be construed as gospel. This is just a guide to figure it out as there are plenty of variables that I won't know about.
    Last edited by spikerS; 03-22-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    4x4

Is that the 6spd auto?

You may want to research whether you should tow with that journey... They don't come with a transmission cooler (even with the tow package) - that would be my first concern, and they aren't well known for having a strong transmission

My Ride
    2007 G5

Originally posted by AndyL
    Is that the 6spd auto?

You may want to research whether you should tow with that journey... They don't come with a transmission cooler (even with the tow package) - that would be my first concern, and they aren't well known for having a strong transmission
    We've been recommended to get a transmission cooler put in for a couple of the trailers we were looking at. We found a lighter one with a GVWR of 2200 and were told it isn't really necessary. Might get one anyways.
    Colleen

My Ride
    2007 G5

Originally posted by spikerS
    Step 1, locate this decal on your Journey, should be inside the doorframe of your driver's side door.

Use the following rough numbers for calculating weights.
    Husband - 200lbs
    wife - 150lbs
    baby 50lbs
    camping equipment and food, 250lbs

Total is ~650 lbs.

Then, you have to find a trailer that would be under 2500lbs maximum allowed weight. Once you find one, the next important number is the tongue weight of the trailer. lets say it is ~400lbs. You have to add that weight to the 650lbs, so that bring it up to 1050lbs.

The curb weight of your dodge journey is somewhere around 4200lbs. So, we add the 4200 + the 1050 lbs of cargo on the journey and we get roughly 5250lbs.

We then go back to that sticker inside your door frame, and we look at the max number. If your numbers for occupants, cargo, and trailer tongue weight combined is less, you are good to go, more, and you need to find a way to shed some weight.

Keep in mind, as I have presented this is a general overview, and should not be construed as gospel. This is just a guide to figure it out as there are plenty of variables that I won't know about.
    Thanks, this is all the stuff that confuses me.
    Colleen

Originally posted by Lilac Wine

Thanks, this is all the stuff that confuses me.
    the general rule of thumb with trucks is: 1500, 1500lbs, 2500, 2500lbs

Though Half tons have came a long way in both payload and towing (especially HD rated ones) most just don't have the capacity to actually carry a large load, while carrying occupants.

this is likely why since the introduction of "crew cabs" from extended/quad has resulted in a majority of short boxes (also to keep the drive ability manageable)

from a towing perspective, the fact that half tons can tow 12,000 lbs+ on a gas engine is not only impressive, but I think has been a big reason why the market for gas based HD trucks are diminishing.

IMO the technology in increasing capabiltiy and driveability with half tons are usually a generation in advance to most HD trucks

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Originally posted by vengie

Me focus my search!
    Flagstaff 170LTD
    I think Rockwood/ forest river make similar lightweight ones.
    I like neat cars.