Quantcast
Uber in Calgary Thread - Page 52 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1376

Thread: Uber in Calgary Thread

There was so few cabs downtown last night it was laughable. Turn on Uber and nothing available either. You know who else wasn't on the roads? The police....and you wonder why drunk driving continues.

The Uber process is slow. So many hoops, and then a special livery only background check,through the city livery office. takes around 3 weeks .Would not accept a recent police check, or my FBI cleared nexus card.

Our car is literally brand new, only dealer serviced and I still had to take it to some second rate shop for a special livery inspection that only maybe 6 shops in Calgary can do. 99% positive they dinged my door. Canadian tire can do it, but soonest inspection I was quoted was after new year.

Now I have to swtich insurance companies because ours doesn't like the plate, even though Ubers insurance covers you when you are on the clock. Even if you remove the collision coverage.

There were lots of people at the Uber office when I dropped off my abstract. I suspect you'll see a surge of drivers in about a month as the hoops get jumped through.
    Last edited by Gestalt; 01-01-2017 at 02:18 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by ercchry

Took probably like 20min to direct the guy to the house. Watched him on the app just take wrong turn after wrong turn coming to pick us up... be he eventually got there!

Guess it was good cause it was the ONLY company that we could even request a ride from
    Did you talk to the driver and give them directions? Or just watched on the app?

I think drivers can accept new fares on their phones as long as they are somewhat close to their current destination. I saw my driver accept one while I was a couple blocks out from my destination.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Gestalt
    The Uber process is slow. So many hoops, and then a special livery only background check,through the city livery office. takes around 3 weeks .Would not accept a recent police check, or my FBI cleared nexus card.

Our car is literally brand new, only dealer serviced and I still had to take it to some second rate shop for a special livery inspection that only maybe 6 shops in Calgary can do. 99% positive they dinged my door. Canadian tire can do it, but soonest inspection I was quoted was after new year.

Now I have to swtich insurance companies because ours doesn't like the plate, even though Ubers insurance covers you when you are on the clock. Even if you remove the collision coverage.

There were lots of people at the Uber office when I dropped off my abstract. I suspect you'll see a surge of drivers in about a month as the hoops get jumped through.
    Any chance you can summarize the costs for these steps?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Did you talk to the driver and give them directions? Or just watched on the app?

I think drivers can accept new fares on their phones as long as they are somewhat close to their current destination. I saw my driver accept one while I was a couple blocks out from my destination.
    We called him twice... guy was just directionally challenged

Originally posted by ercchry
    Well... god damn New Years

Checked at 12, ride from friends' place to home was $33... 20min later, $106 (and no cars available thanks to deep burbs location)

2am rolls by and we're still there. Been trying to get a cab or keys please or anything for the last hour. Had multiple people on hold with cab companies, their apps weren't working either. Keys please request was "submitted" for like 45min (and was $65 anyways)

At one point uber dropped to $65, and a car was 5min out! But that timed out without confirmation.. which makes sense, why select a fare when it's been surging higher most of the night?!

Then again a car was in the area and I said fuck it. $90, only a bit more than keys please... we needed to get home for the dogs, or we would of just crashed there.

Took probably like 20min to direct the guy to the house. Watched him on the app just take wrong turn after wrong turn coming to pick us up... be he eventually got there!

Guess it was good cause it was the ONLY company that we could even request a ride from
    and this is why i don't go out on new years haha

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Just landed at the airport and sad to see they won't come here

My Ride
    NC1

we need a Beyond ride thread lol if you want a ride, post it up here and I bet someone will make the drive for a member for $ price lol haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I will drive to Max's restaurant from the north if you buy my meal when we get there . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Got a cab from downtown to the deep South east no problem last night around 1am. We flagged him down around keynote. And it was only $41, which seems a lot less then normally.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Just landed at the airport and sad to see they won't come here
    I wonder if they'll go to the hotel?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Uberpool and autonomous vehicles will be the real game changer.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Uberpool and autonomous vehicles will be the real game changer.
    I enjoy ripping through the airport tunel with the windows down, as much as any car enthusiast. But 95% of my driving is for work, errands, in traffic. I for one welcome our new autonemous overlords, so long as I can still rip it up with some friends late at night.

Originally posted by max_boost
    we need a Beyond ride thread lol if you want a ride, post it up here and I bet someone will make the drive for a member for $ price lol haha
    For sure they would.
    Also it's much like the "Winter Tow" thread we used to have. How about a revival of that one too?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Any chance you can summarize the costs for these steps?
    I haven't really been keeping track, and I had to pay some tickets along the way, usually jus ton my debit, and push ok. I'll give it roughly, dont hang me if I make a mistake.

I think the driver test was $140, the license $25, the abstract about $25. I think stitching the plate over was also around $25.
    The medical was $100 but you can get it cheaper if you shop around, I had a day off, and took whoever could take me on the spot.
    The Livery inspection was $75. Canadian tire was cheaper ($50 I think), but again, I had the day off, and they were booking into new year.
    I think the background check was $40.

I'll be switching insurance soon, unless they reconsider because they will be losing 3 vehicles, and our home. Haven't talked to them yet in detail, as I want some quotes first.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...ry_how_was_it/

Interesting info from this thread.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by pheoxs
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...ry_how_was_it/

Interesting info from this thread.

Holy crap
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I think if you target times when you know its going to be $$$ and surge charge you could make decent coin. If you're trying to drive on a tuesday afternoon you're probably going to make fuck all for fares but if you can grab someone from 17th ave and drive them to the deep south with 2+x surge charge you can probably make a 100$ fare in 30 min.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Adjusted gross on that above example is probably $23/hr (using an average speed of 40km/h and cost of gas/maintenance at $0.54/km)

For me I would only be able to justify it if it also doubled as a lead generator for my actual job... which means I would need sober customers that actually want to communicate

Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast