Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Uber in Calgary Thread

Author
Thread
M.alex
FKA: 2EFNFAST

What I drive: Nothing
Posts/Day: 0.36
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry
Uber gives you an audience, don't squander it

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.forbe...-252000-a-year/

damn, that is brilliant

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-20-2017 07:08 PM
M.alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for M.alex Click here to Send M.alex a Private Message Find more posts by M.alex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Gestalt

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

You are reading into what I say. Im simply conveying the driving experience. I could never ask for a tip.

Old Post 01-20-2017 07:10 PM
Gestalt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gestalt Click here to Send Gestalt a Private Message Find more posts by Gestalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zhariak
First Gear

What I drive: 2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model Coupe
Posts/Day: 0.20

quote:

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I thought one huge perk of Uber was no payment interaction and no obligation to tip?

Rating customers "1" because they don't tip is like people rating a vacation resort 1 star out of 5 because of one tiny thing that bothered them that they were not entitled to in the first place. Also in the end it seems like that would only hurt the drivers - if 99% of customers have a low star rating because of the 1 star ratings, and drivers don't pick them up due to low ratings, drivers don't make money. Sounds dumb.

I went searching for how to tip a while back, I remember reading specifically "Do not tip as it's not needed".

Old Post 01-20-2017 07:13 PM
Zhariak is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Zhariak Click here to Send Zhariak a Private Message Find more posts by Zhariak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gestalt

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by Zhariak

I went searching for how to tip a while back, I remember reading specifically "Do not tip as it's not needed".

Strange you remember reading that. I have been googling, and never saw the phraze "do not tip"from them.

I posted their official reply and policy a page or two ago.

It's a dead issue, 1 in 20 tip for now, I certainly did not go in expecting tips, and I don't expect it to change. However, I was hoping for more than $15 an hour before any expenses and fuel.

Old Post 01-20-2017 07:56 PM
Gestalt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gestalt Click here to Send Gestalt a Private Message Find more posts by Gestalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zhariak
First Gear

What I drive: 2015 CLS63 AMG S-Model Coupe
Posts/Day: 0.20

quote:

Originally posted by Gestalt

Strange you remember reading that. I have been googling, and never saw the phraze "do not tip"from them.

I posted their official reply and policy a page or two ago.

It's a dead issue, 1 in 20 tip for now, I certainly did not go in expecting tips, and I don't expect it to change. However, I was hoping for more than $15 an hour before any expenses and fuel.

Ya, I was pretty surprised. I was specifically looking to find how to tip (I thought it was a bug in their Windows Phone app), as I like to when I feel it's deserved.

Never carry cash, that's why I did such an in-depth search on the site.

Keep in mind, when I found it on their site, this was back on their first launch in Calgary. Their pages may have been changed or updated...

Old Post 01-20-2017 08:01 PM
Zhariak is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Zhariak Click here to Send Zhariak a Private Message Find more posts by Zhariak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gestalt

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by Zhariak

Ya, I was pretty surprised. I was specifically looking to find how to tip (I thought it was a bug in their Windows Phone app), as I like to when I feel it's deserved.

Never carry cash, that's why I did such an in-depth search on the site.

Keep in mind, when I found it on their site, this was back on their first launch in Calgary. Their pages may have been changed or updated...

there is no provision to tip in the app, and they obviously have zero intent to change it by the US examples.

I never carry cash either, nor do many people. Actually, I have to now, in case someone wants to tip, so you can make change, and also to get into the stampede ground for fares.

Old Post 01-20-2017 08:11 PM
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Re: this thread
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/what-sh...mp;pagenumber=1

Are there rules against using a leased car to Uber?

Old Post 02-15-2017 05:14 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
16hypen3sp
First Gear

What I drive: '14 CBR 1000RR, '15 Victory Highball, '14 Ram 1500
Posts/Day: 0.60

quote:

Hey Gestalt, what is this "Livery Inspection" you speak of?

I had my Class 4 license completed a while ago. The insurance portion for driving is a non-issue I think. I'm with Aviva already and they have the rideshare endorsement available for me.

I'm a little chapped about the whole Livery Class (1-55) thing that the government has forced upon drivers. I understand that I'm supposed to carry two registrations for personal use and "Uber" use now?? As well as two plates??? I don't really want to get rid of my personal registration and plate...

Anywho, I have stopped pursuing becoming a driver until official word breaks that Uber is coming to Red Deer. It would be very unwise to continue until a solid launch plan is in place for this city.

But when it is, I would like to be prepared so that I'm 'good to go' for launch day.

07 CBR 600RR-Sold
11 Honda Fury-Sold
14 CBR 1000RR-Current
14 Ram 1500-Current
14 Optima LX-Current
15 Victory Highball-Current

Old Post 03-14-2017 08:05 AM
16hypen3sp is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 16hypen3sp Click here to Send 16hypen3sp a Private Message Find more posts by 16hypen3sp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.43
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

https://www.uber.com/en-CA/drive/calgary/inspections/

Old Post 03-14-2017 03:42 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gestalt

What I drive:

quote:

What he said, it's just like a regular inspection with a few more specific details.

I have streamlined driving for Uber to I think the best it can be. Seldom wait more than a few minutes for a trip, so business is steady, and I make about $23 an hour before expenses.

Tips still suck, I may make $10 in tips during a 6 hour $150 shift. I spend about $12 in gas during that.

I'm not sure why I do it honestly. But you always have spare time. Wife went to Chinook on Sunday morning, I don't like malls and crowds, so I drove a couple hours and made $50. It's a nice time killer.

I'm finding I like people in the real world. Much nicer than forums, and at work I'm around the same 6 grease monkeys all day twisting wrenches. You have some great conversations with people from a wide spectrum of life that you might not run into normally. I've enjoyed talks with teachers, nurses, geologists, pilots, University students, frequent business travelers retirees, club goers, even a 400 pound cross dresser.

Old Post 03-14-2017 05:40 PM
16hypen3sp
First Gear

What I drive: '14 CBR 1000RR, '15 Victory Highball, '14 Ram 1500
Posts/Day: 0.60

quote:

^ Thanks for the info guys.

Just one more question. The Inspection, is that a municipal law? Like in the link, it shows you have to have one completed in order to drive in Calgary.

Or is it province wide?

07 CBR 600RR-Sold
11 Honda Fury-Sold
14 CBR 1000RR-Current
14 Ram 1500-Current
14 Optima LX-Current
15 Victory Highball-Current

Old Post 03-15-2017 05:52 AM
16hypen3sp is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 16hypen3sp Click here to Send 16hypen3sp a Private Message Find more posts by 16hypen3sp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cancer man
Neutral

What I drive: Saab 9-5
Posts/Day: 0.10
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
^ Thanks for the info guys.

Just one more question. The Inspection, is that a municipal law? Like in the link, it shows you have to have one completed in order to drive in Calgary.

Or is it province wide?

It is Province wide and i believe only C.Tire or the AMA can do them.

Old Post 03-15-2017 01:10 PM
cancer man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cancer man Click here to Send cancer man a Private Message Visit cancer man's homepage! Find more posts by cancer man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gestalt

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by cancer man

It is Province wide and i believe only C.Tire or the AMA can do them.

Each City negotiated with Uber on their own.

About a half dozen shops do it in Calgary besides Canadian Tire. When I called, backlog was 2 weeks at CDN tire, so I went to one of the other places. It's on Ubers site for each specific city.

Old Post 03-15-2017 05:14 PM
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Went to use Uber for the first time the other night, going home from a flames game, but didn't have my CC info in the app so we just took a cab (mistake).

Uber quote: $19

Cab actual cost: $36

Old Post 03-15-2017 06:54 PM
Mitsu3000gt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:02 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Uber in Calgary Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: