Quantcast
Uber in Calgary Thread - Page 50 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 40 49 50 51 60 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1376

Thread: Uber in Calgary Thread

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Uber is fucking awesome in Edmonton. Give it time.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by speedog

So exactly what kind of person finds being an uber driver an attractive option?

The requirement of a ten year old or newer sedan might be a hurdle for some and it doesn't appear that any beyond members have signed up for the uber driver experiance. So who is the target demographic?

I think the biggest hurdle is the background check (at the moment, it's taking CPS about 3-4 weeks to complete one) and the dual registration. I could be wrong, but I think driver registration in the other cities is much easier.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I agree with Rage. They're outright allowing it now but in the background adding rules and hurdles that increase the overall costs which will move it to become less favourable to take and less people will want to be a driver for it. Thus, it'll fail like a poor business model within Calgary.

My Ride
    4x4

Still has some attractive for PT - I've been contemplating it if I go back to school as a way to offset costs. Subcontractor and picking own hours as a student would be awesome.

I've got to sit down and look harder at the numbers, wondering if the black/select/SUV models would come to Calgary - there's a fair bit of price overlap between the econoboxes and luxury models - makes me wonder if the premium services could offset the maintenance costs. (God knows I'd rather drive something nice rather than some POS economy car that wouldn't be as useful for family hauling)

Really a class 4 license isn't challenging, and is cheap enough, air ticket was a much harder endorsement to add.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by sexualbanana

I think the biggest hurdle is the background check (at the moment, it's taking CPS about 3-4 weeks to complete one) and the dual registration. I could be wrong, but I think driver registration in the other cities is much easier.
    dual registration is being overturned. Uber drivers do require commercial plates though.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by sexualbanana

I wonder if you can use the fact that you have other licenses that require much more intensive checks as a workaround?

Both my Nexus card and Firearms License are contingent on checks far in excess of what the city wants.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Correct. We managed to convince the service Alberta legal dept that dual reg is ridiculous. They finally agreed last week to just do one plate. If you received dual registration, please attend a registry close to you to cancel the dual and get a refund mailed

Default Uber losing money?

I don't follow this very closely if at all but considering the current interest in Calgary regarding Uber, it is interesting to read that they're losing money - numerous news stories out there today including this one. Is there money to be made in this business?

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

When I was in Singapore, uber was fantastic. It made sense to have it there. Densely populated, small, urban city. We have too much sprawl here for it to be viable, imo. Not to mention how much easier it is to own a car here vs. a place like Singapore. I would go as far as saying Uber is needed in Singapore. Here, not so much, where its more of a novelty than a game changer.
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 12-20-2016 at 02:41 AM.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Uber is losing money just like Amazon is. Their burn rate is acceptable and they will cash up at next financing.

It works very well in dense cities. Manila, HK, Singapore, etc. ive used UBER or Grab. It is MORE expensive than a taxi. However, getting a taxi in these cities can be very difficult most of the time.

I do not believe Uber/Grab works in cities like calgary. Limited number of foreign tourists, spread out city and everyone drives.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

The problems are the requirements. I know many people who would have driven for Uber part time had there not been such strict requirements. They make you go through all these hurdles that it isn't worth it for something you may do for a few hours a week for fun to kill time or give back to the community. That's what makes uber so successful in other cities.

Calgary made it uncompetitive

Originally posted by ickyflex
    The problems are the requirements. I know many people who would have driven for Uber part time had there not been such strict requirements. They make you go through all these hurdles that it isn't worth it for something you may do for a few hours a week for fun to kill time or give back to the community. That's what makes uber so successful in other cities.

Calgary made it uncompetitive
    So is being an Uber driver in Edmonton just as uncompetitive?

I only ask because the driver licensing, insurance, vehicle registration and background checks are all provincial requirements as best as I've been able to ascertain using the internet.

Seems pretty minor to me. And expected.

Originally posted by speedog

So is being an Uber driver in Edmonton just as uncompetitive?

I only ask because the driver licensing, insurance, vehicle registration and background checks are all provincial requirements as best as I've been able to ascertain using the internet.
    I'm basing it on personal experience from time spent in Toronto vs time spent in Calgary ubers. However, when Calgary blocked Uber with bylaws this was said by the Uber spokeman.

"Kar pointed to Edmonton as an example of a city that has introduced regulations that Uber can effectively work with.

At the end of January, Edmonton became the first city in Canada to pass Uber-friendly bylaws despite outcry from taxi drivers. The Alberta city joined 70 other jurisdictions around the world that have adopted regulations allowing the ride-sharing business model to legally operate.

Under Edmonton’s new bylaw, Uber will pay the city a $50,000 annual fee, plus six cents per trip to cover city regulation and enforcement costs.

It’s a model Kar said would work better than Calgary’s proposal, which would see drivers pay a $220 annual licensing fee, in addition to the cost of a Calgary Police Service criminal history check and a twice-a-year vehicle inspection fee.

Kar said most Uber drivers provide ride-sharing services on an occasional basis, often less than 10 hours a week, and some choose to stop driving after only a couple of trips with the company.

“Put yourself in the shoes of someone who might be driving only Friday or Saturday night. If there’s a $600 bill before you can even start driving, it completely cuts the supply of drivers,” he said. "

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Took Uber for the first time last week. 1.5x surge pricing. Downtown to Shawnessey area. Cab is usually $35ish after tip. Uber was $33 including a short detour to drop someone off on the way probably adding a couple $$.

The good: GMC Sierra 1500. Both front seats were pulled really far forward so rear leg room was great!! Comfortable temperature. Water in cup holders of rear doors (Not offered but noticed them while looking around).

The Bad: typical stereotypical asian driver. Jerky steering, nervous, not familiar with downtown between core and 17th, changing lanes 25 times down macleod to try and always be in the front for no reason. Forgot we needed to drop someone off and started following his GPS instead of our verbal directions. Ran a red light downtown.

I will be using the service again in the future as it was dead simple to use, no delay at the end of the trip to pay, no judgement for how much to tip, etc...
    Signature..... I ate it!!

Took Uber last night. I like how fast and easy it is to get picked up.

So it's quite apparent that there are beyond members who are using Uber but are there any beyond members who have actually signed up and are driving? Can it continue if there is a lack of drivers?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

An Asian in a 1500? Sounds like tomco is driving for uber

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by ercchry
    An Asian in a 1500? Sounds like tomco is driving for uber
    Times are tough

Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 40 49 50 51 60 ... LastLast