Thread: Uber in Calgary Thread

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by ercchry
    Uber gives you an audience, don't squander it

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.forbes...252000-a-year/
    damn, that is brilliant
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

You are reading into what I say. Im simply conveying the driving experience. I could never ask for a tip.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I thought one huge perk of Uber was no payment interaction and no obligation to tip?

Rating customers "1" because they don't tip is like people rating a vacation resort 1 star out of 5 because of one tiny thing that bothered them that they were not entitled to in the first place. Also in the end it seems like that would only hurt the drivers - if 99% of customers have a low star rating because of the 1 star ratings, and drivers don't pick them up due to low ratings, drivers don't make money. Sounds dumb.
    I went searching for how to tip a while back, I remember reading specifically "Do not tip as it's not needed".
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Originally posted by Zhariak

I went searching for how to tip a while back, I remember reading specifically "Do not tip as it's not needed".
    Strange you remember reading that. I have been googling, and never saw the phraze "do not tip"from them.

I posted their official reply and policy a page or two ago.

It's a dead issue, 1 in 20 tip for now, I certainly did not go in expecting tips, and I don't expect it to change. However, I was hoping for more than $15 an hour before any expenses and fuel.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by Gestalt

Strange you remember reading that. I have been googling, and never saw the phraze "do not tip"from them.

I posted their official reply and policy a page or two ago.

It's a dead issue, 1 in 20 tip for now, I certainly did not go in expecting tips, and I don't expect it to change. However, I was hoping for more than $15 an hour before any expenses and fuel.
    Ya, I was pretty surprised. I was specifically looking to find how to tip (I thought it was a bug in their Windows Phone app), as I like to when I feel it's deserved.

Never carry cash, that's why I did such an in-depth search on the site.

Keep in mind, when I found it on their site, this was back on their first launch in Calgary. Their pages may have been changed or updated...
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Originally posted by Zhariak

Ya, I was pretty surprised. I was specifically looking to find how to tip (I thought it was a bug in their Windows Phone app), as I like to when I feel it's deserved.

Never carry cash, that's why I did such an in-depth search on the site.

Keep in mind, when I found it on their site, this was back on their first launch in Calgary. Their pages may have been changed or updated...
    there is no provision to tip in the app, and they obviously have zero intent to change it by the US examples.

I never carry cash either, nor do many people. Actually, I have to now, in case someone wants to tip, so you can make change, and also to get into the stampede ground for fares.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Re: this thread
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/what-sho...=&pagenumber=1

Are there rules against using a leased car to Uber?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Hey Gestalt, what is this "Livery Inspection" you speak of?

I had my Class 4 license completed a while ago. The insurance portion for driving is a non-issue I think. I'm with Aviva already and they have the rideshare endorsement available for me.

I'm a little chapped about the whole Livery Class (1-55) thing that the government has forced upon drivers. I understand that I'm supposed to carry two registrations for personal use and "Uber" use now?? As well as two plates??? I don't really want to get rid of my personal registration and plate...

Anywho, I have stopped pursuing becoming a driver until official word breaks that Uber is coming to Red Deer. It would be very unwise to continue until a solid launch plan is in place for this city.

But when it is, I would like to be prepared so that I'm 'good to go' for launch day.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

What he said, it's just like a regular inspection with a few more specific details.

I have streamlined driving for Uber to I think the best it can be. Seldom wait more than a few minutes for a trip, so business is steady, and I make about $23 an hour before expenses.

Tips still suck, I may make $10 in tips during a 6 hour $150 shift. I spend about $12 in gas during that.

I'm not sure why I do it honestly. But you always have spare time. Wife went to Chinook on Sunday morning, I don't like malls and crowds, so I drove a couple hours and made $50. It's a nice time killer.

I'm finding I like people in the real world. Much nicer than forums, and at work I'm around the same 6 grease monkeys all day twisting wrenches. You have some great conversations with people from a wide spectrum of life that you might not run into normally. I've enjoyed talks with teachers, nurses, geologists, pilots, University students, frequent business travelers retirees, club goers, even a 400 pound cross dresser.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

^ Thanks for the info guys.

Just one more question. The Inspection, is that a municipal law? Like in the link, it shows you have to have one completed in order to drive in Calgary.

Or is it province wide?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    ^ Thanks for the info guys.

Just one more question. The Inspection, is that a municipal law? Like in the link, it shows you have to have one completed in order to drive in Calgary.

Or is it province wide?
    It is Province wide and i believe only C.Tire or the AMA can do them.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

Originally posted by cancer man

It is Province wide and i believe only C.Tire or the AMA can do them.
    Each City negotiated with Uber on their own.

About a half dozen shops do it in Calgary besides Canadian Tire. When I called, backlog was 2 weeks at CDN tire, so I went to one of the other places. It's on Ubers site for each specific city.

Went to use Uber for the first time the other night, going home from a flames game, but didn't have my CC info in the app so we just took a cab (mistake).

Uber quote: $19

Cab actual cost: $36

I took my first Uber in Calgary today. He was on the job one week, nervous and unsure of himself. And already a 4.7 rating, even though he offered me Candy mine is still 4.91. pro Uber driver tip. If the guy booked the trip, and his girlfriend is chatty, don't talk too her too much.

I don't drive us much as I did, we bought our rental, got my solar panels, so busy with renovation and install.

I feel like such a seasons old pro. I might go drive tonight just to keep it fresh.

Originally posted by Gestalt
    I took my first Uber in Calgary today. He was on the job one week, nervous and unsure of himself. And already a 4.7 rating, even though he offered me Candy mine is still 4.91. pro Uber driver tip. If the guy booked the trip, and his girlfriend is chatty, don't talk too her too much.

I don't drive us much as I did, we bought our rental, got my solar panels, so busy with renovation and install.

I feel like such a seasons old pro. I might go drive tonight just to keep it fresh.
    I'm glad your solor panels are saving the world from your additional driving via uber.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Went to use Uber for the first time the other night, going home from a flames game, but didn't have my CC info in the app so we just took a cab (mistake).

Uber quote: $19

Cab actual cost: $36
    You can link your PayPal

Originally posted by ickyflex

I'm glad your solor panels are saving the world from your additional driving via uber.

You've motivated me to drive more to buy a Tesla.

My Ride
    Z

I only take a cab now when I have a taxi chit or it's going on the corporate card
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by g-m
    I only take a cab now when I have a taxi chit or it's going on the corporate card
    You can expense the uber receipt on your corporate card, at least I've had no problems doing so.

Got back from Miami and it's amazing how seamless uber is there (they got it 3 years go). 20 minute ride across the city for 10-15$. Most fares were 5-10$ range for quite a few miles.

The variety of cars is entertaining, everything from basic Camry's to a Bentley to a Honda CR-V that was convertdr to what looked like a pimpmobile with the comfiest seats and pillows ever. Most were quite friendly, after the music festival they often had water and offered us which was a life saver after dancing for 12hrs.

Only issue we had was one driver didn't want to drive through the chaos of traffic from the fest and told us to walk 5 blocks to the official uber pickup spot. By the time we got there the trip was either auto cancelled or cancelled by him. Was frustrating but when I rebooked the fare was half the price because surge charging had dropped so it wasn't even that annoying in the end as it gave us a car that was already in the same lot anyways

Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 44 53 54 55 64 ... LastLast