Quantcast
Uber in Calgary Thread - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber in Calgary Thread

Originally posted by spikerS

Can you at least copy and paste it so the rest of us can read it? I don't want to sign up for the WSJ.
    Sorry, didn't get that when I 1st opened it

California’s labor commissioner has ruled that a driver for Uber Technologies Inc. should be classified as an employee of the company, a decision that marks the latest setback for the ride-hailing company’s labor model.

The ruling doesn’t set a precedent for how Uber compensates its 200,000 drivers, but it is one of a growing number of court decisions that may have far-reaching implications for the company. Uber says its drivers are independent contractors and not employees, a designation that means it isn’t responsible for paying drivers’ insurance or job-related expenses and allows the company to operate and expand at relatively low cost.

Uber has been ordered to pay Barbara Berwick, a San Francisco driver for Uber from July to September of last year, more than $4,100 to cover the costs of vehicle mileage and tolls, the commissioner said in a June 3 ruling that was filed in California state court on Tuesday.

The regulator found that Uber is “involved in every aspect of the operation,” from vetting drivers and their vehicles to setting rates for trip fares, and therefore is legally an employer of its drivers. Uber had unsuccessfully argued that because it is just a smartphone service that matches passengers with rides, its drivers should be classified as contractors.

Uber said Wednesday it is appealing the ruling and pointed to a 2012 labor commission ruling that found one of its drivers shouldn’t be classified as an employee. “The number one reason drivers choose to use Uber is because they have complete flexibility and control,” the company said in a statement.

The labor commission disputed that drivers control all aspects of their work, noting that, among other things, passengers pay Uber for their rides and Uber, in turn, pays drivers “a nonnegotiable service fee.”

Rulings by state agencies like the California Labor Commission don’t set a formal precedent for court cases or other actions, said Reuel Schiller, a law professor at University of California Hastings College of the Law.

But, should various federal or state entities determine that Uber drivers are employees—whether for purposes of collecting unemployment insurance or expense reimbursement, for example—“it builds up momentum for the idea that these folks look a lot more like employees than they look like independent contractors,” he said.

The company could alter its contract with drivers, perhaps tweaking it to fall just under the employee threshold on tests of drivers’ status. But that isn’t as easy as it sounds, said Jeff Hirsch, a professor at the University of North Carolina School of Law.

“They can try to walk up to that line but they just don’t know where the line is,” partly because the list of factors used to determine employment status is long and allows for some ambiguity, he said.

No ruling related to a single company like Uber will be applied to all firms in the sharing economy. Determining whether a worker is an employee is “a very fact-intensive inquiry,” Mr. Schiller said, and so judges and agencies must base their decisions on a company’s specific arrangements with workers.

Uber is fighting several lawsuits in California challenging its ability to classify drivers as contractors. If the plaintiffs are successful, the cases could help clarify a murky area of employment law and force Uber to pay new costs to cover employee benefits and driving costs.

The decisions could also affect the valuations of companies in the so-called on-demand economy. Uber is currently raising new funding at a $50 billion valuation, The Wall Street Journal has reported.

Shannon Liss-Riordan, a plaintiffs’ attorney representing Uber drivers in a class-action suit in federal court in San Francisco, called Wednesday’s ruling significant and potentially helpful for her clients, since it holds the company is required under California law to repay the driver’s job-related costs.

“This is the same result we are seeking in our case, reimbursement of expenses,” says Ms. Riordan, an employment lawyer with Lichten & Liss-Riordan PC in Boston.

Earlier this month, U.S. District Judge Edward Chen, in the Northern District of California, allowed lawsuits by two drivers for Uber to proceed in court, rebuffing the ride-sharing company’s attempt to resolve the actions in closed arbitration proceedings. In March, Judge Chen and another San Francisco judge issued similar rulings in two other cases involving Uber and its rival Lyft Inc., focused on the employee-versus-contractor question.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I wonder how the labour laws vary in the US versus Canada? It seems that Uber is having a hard time gaining traction here in Canada.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Anyone working DT today and trying the free mini donuts?

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I wonder how the labour laws vary in the US versus Canada? It seems that Uber is having a hard time gaining traction here in Canada.
    Dunno about other cities, but they're huge in Montreal. For good reason - cabs are such a hassle.

They're not legal there either, but the customer base is strong enough to keep them thriving despite the laws.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Originally posted by googe

Dunno about other cities, but they're huge in Montreal. For good reason - cabs are such a hassle.

They're not legal there either, but the customer base is strong enough to keep them thriving despite the laws.
    Toronto cab drivers are pissed and threatening actions similar to the Paris riots, which tells me Uber is succeeding.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...rate-1.3135640
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by baygirl

Toronto cab drivers are pissed and threatening actions similar to the Paris riots, which tells me Uber is succeeding.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...rate-1.3135640
    If they were smart they would be ubering themselves

My Ride
    0.8 L of Diesel fury

I tried Uber in South America... so much better than the taxi service. Friendly drivers, not in a rush, some will offer water etc (you can give feedback after each ride). It would be nice in Calgary, but maybe the city is not big enough...

My Ride
    S14|TB1

I just have to say that I really hope uber does come to Calgary, I've been using it for the past 2 weeks here in western Europe and in London, extremely efficient, cheaper than a cab, no screwing around at all. Albeit in some countries like Belgium they had to drop us nearby to avoid taxis and limit potential arguments with them. Overall it's much better than a normal cab imo.

So I wonder how many beyond members would consider becoming an Uber driver?

If so, would they bother to get/carry the proper insurance? Would they remit the required GST to Revenue Canada as they are providing a service? Maybe GST isn't even part of this equation, I'm not even really sure of that. Would any Uber driver even report this as an income?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I wonder if uber IS coming to Calgary. Looks like CAB companies are now releasing video of shitty customers to scare potential drivers away.

Does uber drivers get to set their own rate?

I think uber is great when they have autonomous vehicles ready. The biggest complain everyone have are the drivers, so we have to get rid of them.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-28-2015 at 09:01 AM.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Originally posted by speedog
    So I wonder how many beyond members would consider becoming an Uber driver?

If so, would they bother to get/carry the proper insurance? Would they remit the required GST to Revenue Canada as they are providing a service? Maybe GST isn't even part of this equation, I'm not even really sure of that. Would any Uber driver even report this as an income?
    The Alberta Superintendent of Insurance issued a warning regarding Uber drivers and the need to properly endorse your auto policy with a commercial endorsement.

I work for a large pipeline company in risk (and insurance) and policy now precludes the use of Uber as there is no practical way to validate and ensure that drivers are properly insured (ie not worth the risk from an employer standpoint). My .02

Apparently, Uber drivers in Alberta may require a class 4 license as well as people who drive for compensation require a class 4 licenses - link.

Also some interesting information at this insurance broker's web site - link.

Now I don't want to come across as anti-Uber but there appears to be some issues (see above) that potential Uber drivers need to consider. Personally, I have no need at the moment for either taxis or Uber and if I did, I would still use a taxi as I've never had what I would deem a bad experience in any taxi I've taken.

Will Uber eventually land here in Calgary - I do believe so. Hell, there's ride sharing happening right now (car pooling as an example) and things like Uber won't be staved off forever.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The problem with Uber's insurance promise is that it's like AirBnB's. We will pay out if make it a PR nightmare.

I'm all for competition but only if everyone is following the same basic rules.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by Xtrema
    The problem with Uber's insurance promise is that it's like AirBnB's. We will pay out if make it a PR nightmare.

I'm all for competition but only if everyone is following the same basic rules.
    Not just that but moving forward you are pretty much screwed. Even without your insurance paying you out, your insurance rates are going to skyrocket. Things like this is why you get asked if you've ever had a claim denied when you set up new policies.

So considering some of the last half dozen posts or so, are any of the Uber proponents in this thread considering being Uber drivers themselves in Calgary? If yes, would these proponents have the proper insurance and licensing in place? How would they deal with GST and would they report their Uber income?
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 01:04 PM.

My Ride
    08 Suzuki SX4,06 Nissan Titan

Does anybody have any news on Uber?

I had signed up as a driver over a year ago, this week I getting 2 texts per day from them asking to complete my signup. curious if they're going to start up in Calgary soon.

Default Uber: Launching Today @ 2:00pm

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 01:04 PM.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Nice.....

And so it begins! I'm still choked they are only offering UberX and not the other offerings...

It would be bad ass to take a (UberBlack) sedan home every night after the bar for the price of a taxi! hahah
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

I thought I achieved the dream of earning money through high-powered station wagon shuttling, but min requirement is a 2005
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast