Quantcast
VW's Cheated EPA test Automaker faces $18B in fines. - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: VW's Cheated EPA test Automaker faces $18B in fines.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

Originally posted by 403ep3
    Yeah, I've already been to the dealerships almost a dozen times.
    that's your first problem.

many shops like tunedub can do km based maintenance too

My Ride
    '15 Golf GTI, '10 Jetta TDI

Originally posted by ricosuave

that's your first problem.

many shops like tunedub can do km based maintenance too
    This. I only go to the dealer for warranty stuff.

My Ride
    TDi

It was all warranty issues minus one
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Strange, what is the reoccurring issue? Or are they all separate? Want to trade out of it for a different brand or a diff VW? I could really use some more used TDIs since I cant sell new.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

I believe Canadian owners will not receive any compensation.

In Europe, a fix for the dieselgate affected cars has already been approved and recalls are underway. UK and European owners have not received any compensation and are unlikely to, according to previous statements from the Group. The reasoning being that the fix to VW's cars will have no impact on performance or economy. In the US, the cars need the fix in order to legally pass the more stringent emissions standards applied to all new cars.

In a statement the VW Group said: "In connection with the diesel issue, Volkswagen AG confirms that an agreement in principle with the Department of Justice (Environmental Division), the Environment Protection Agency (EPA), and the California Air Resources Board (CARB), with the full involvement of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), has been reached in the United States." Adding that: "The arrangements in the making in the United States will have no legal bearing on proceedings outside of the United States."
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Canadians will get the same deal as US.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2016...ions-deal.html
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by elmo909; 09-08-2018 at 11:16 AM.

My Ride
    TDi

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/volk...ment-1.3649369

Owners would have a choice between selling their vehicles back to VW at the value before the scandal broke on Sept. 18, 2015, or keeping the cars and letting the company repair them for free. Either way, they would also get $1,000 to $7,000 US depending on their cars' age, with an average payment of about $5,000 US, one of the people said.
    I can't even tell what pre-scandal pricing was for my car. Any guesses?

2015 Jetta TDI Black Highline, two toned leather (25,000 Kms) - 25-30k?
    + 4-7k?

Could be worth selling back to them

I think I bought for around 32-34?
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The stuff refered to in that article is all in the USA. is Volkswagen Canada doing something similar, or do we need a class action lawsuit on this side of the border?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TDi

Apparently CAN will get the exact same as the USA
    GO FLAMES GO!

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    The stuff refered to in that article is all in the USA. is Volkswagen Canada doing something similar, or do we need a class action lawsuit on this side of the border?
    EPA governs Canada as well so the same ruling applies to us, AFAIK.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

EPA doesn't govern Canada. We just have harmonized emissions regulations with the EPA. VW made the decision to offer the deal to Canada for simplicity sake.

Side note because we're harmonized with EPA certifications, EPA is backlogged with a more stringent certification process, and new model cars are getting delayed here along with the US across all manufacturers.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, EPA does a hell of a lot more than automotive emissions stuff in the USofA, and virtually none of that is similar on this side of the border.

We've chosen to harmonize our regulations with theirs so that we can have a reasonable selection of vehicles. if we went lone wolf on regulations, we'd had a lot of manufacturers selling fewer models here.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by 403ep3
    Apparently CAN will get the exact same as the USA
    Can will receive the same/similar to the US, the question is when? It will take some time for it to trickle up to Canada.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

What is to stop me from buying a VW diesel today and get a cheque from VW in the months to come? I am currently in the market for two vehicles, the VW cheque would be an enormous advantage.

Am I missing something here? Can't be this easy.

My Ride
    TDi

I'm guessing it has to be dealership bought or at least registered to your name before the scandal was announced.

Pretty sure the person you bought it from would be getting the cheque
    GO FLAMES GO!

Just got this email

NOTICE: STATUS OF PROPOSED NATIONAL CLASS ACTIONS RELATED TO EMISSIONS CERTIFICATION AND COMPLIANCE OF VOLKSWAGEN AND AUDI DIESEL VEHICLES FROM MODEL YEARS 2009 TO 2016

Please Read this Notice Carefully.

Status of the Canadian Proceedings

Among a number of proceedings commenced across Canada on October 22 2015, a proposed pan-Canadian class action was commenced in Ontario and on September 22 2015, a Quebec Class action was commenced in Quebec, both alleging that certain Volkswagen and Audi companies (the “Volkswagen and Audi Defendants”) manufactured and/or installed emissions control devices, including alleged “Defeat Devices”, in certain Volkswagen and Audi vehicles with diesel engines (the “Class Actions”). Case Management Judges have been appointed in the Class Actions in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Superior Court of Quebec (the “Courts”).

The Affected Vehicles

In the Class Actions, the Plaintiffs are seeking remedies in respect of all affected vehicles in all provinces and territories in Canada. The affected vehicles are as follows:

DIESEL MODEL MODEL YEARS (INCLUSIVE)

Volkswagen Jetta 2009 - 2015
    Volkswagen Jetta Wagon 2009
    Volkswagen Golf 2010 - 2013, 2015
    Volkswagen Passat 2012 - 2015
    Volkswagen Beetle 2013 - 2015
    Volkswagen Golf Wagon 2010 - 2014
    Volkswagen Golf Sportwagon 2015
    Audi A3 2010 - 2013, 2015
    Audi A6, A7, A8, Q5 2014 – 2016
    Audi Q7 2009 – 2015
    Volkswagen Touareg 2009 - 2016

You have received this Notice either because you are a past or current owner or lessee of an affected vehicle, or because you have expressed interest in the Class Actions. Receipt of this Notice does not mean that you are a Class Member.

Negotiations

The Plaintiffs and the Volkswagen and Audi defendants (“the Parties”) are in discussions about potential settlement and remedies relating to the affected vehicles in Canada.

On or before July 29, 2016, the Courts will receive an update on settlement discussions.

Nothing is required from you at this time and you do not need to hire your own lawyer.

If the Parties reach a settlement, the terms of the settlement will be made public and notice of the settlement will be provided. In the case of a settlement, a Class will be defined and members of the Class will have an opportunity to object to the settlement, as well as an opportunity to remove themselves from (or “opt-out” of) the settlement.

Where to Get More Information

If you have any questions about the status of the Class Actions in which these negotiations are taking place, please visit: volkswagenclassaction.com (all provinces except Quebec) or recourscollectif.info (Quebec residents only). For further information about how the Volkswagen and Audi Defendants have been responding to the allegations in the Class Actions, please consult www.vwemissionsinfo.ca or www.audiemissionsinformation.ca.

Status of the U.S. Proceeding

Similar class actions have also been filed in the U.S., and a consolidated multidistrict litigation (“MDL”) is currently pending in Federal Court in San Francisco. In the MDL, the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, and certain of the Volkswagen and Audi Defendants, have requested preliminary court approval of a class action settlement for 2 litre engine affected vehicles in the U.S.

The terms of that settlement can be found on the U.S. court’s website at www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl. A hearing to consider whether the U.S. Federal Court will preliminarily approve the U.S. class action settlement is scheduled for July 26, 2016.

PUBLICATION OF THIS NOTICE HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED BY THE ONTARIO SUPERIOR COURT OF JUSTICE

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/doc...tion_table.pdf

Looks like buyback is quite a good option. Quite a bit above KBB value.

My Ride
    TDi

I'm guessing that's in all miles, hey?

I'm trying to figure out what I would be getting, but the mileage portion is confusing or it's just late in the day and I can't think.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/case...up-america-inc

2015 Jetta TDI Highline
    23,500KM or 14,602 Miles

$28,006

1. 14602
    2. 10 months x 1042 = 10402
    3. Adjusted mileage = 4202
    4. Buyback adjustment = $1140
    5. $28,006 + $1,140 = $29,146
    6. This is the confusing part for me

Does this add or take away 5100+- 1140?

Either way, I read somewhere in the article that you're covered for pretty much the value of your car?:

Buyback option: Volkswagen must offer to buy back any affected 2.0 liter vehicle at their retail value as of September 2015 -- just prior to the public disclosure of the emissions issue. Consumers who choose the buyback option will receive between $12,500 and $44,000, depending on their car’s model, year, mileage, and trim of the car, as well as the region of the country where it was purchased. In addition, because a straight buyback will not fully compensate consumers who owe more than their car is worth due to rapid depreciation, the FTC order provides these consumers with an option to have their loans forgiven by Volkswagen. Consumers who have third party loans have the option of having Volkswagen pay off those loans, up to 130 percent of the amount a consumer would be entitled to under the buyback (e.g., if the consumer is entitled to a $20,000 buyback, VW would pay off his/her loans up to a cap of $26,000).
    GO FLAMES GO!

VW, the official car of the Russian Track and Field Team.

Still though, if I buy two diesel Jettas (or other) today am I getting a $7000 cheque for each one going forward?
    Last edited by Minimalist; 06-29-2016 at 08:17 AM.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 ... LastLast