Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Campus Chat > what is "math 30-2"?

Author
Thread
J-hop
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Lange
I've come across this thread a few times now, and I really have no idea why, since I don't even browse this section of the site and this thread is like 5+ years old now, but I'm reviving it to correct some info.

Way back when, the following high school courses were offered (excluding AP, IB, etc.):

Math 10, 20, 30, 31
Math 13, 23, 33
Math 14, 24

Around 1999, the new curriculum started being implemented, Math 10, 20, 30 were replaced with Pure Math 10, 20, 30 and Math 13, 23, 33 were replaced with Applied Math 10, 20, 30. Math 14, 24 and 31 remained:

Pure Math 10, 20, 30, Math 31
Applied Math 10, 20, 30
Math 14, 24

Around 2008, this curriculum was again updated to the current structure: Pure Math 10 and Applied Math 10 were replaced with Math 10C, Pure Math 20 and 30 were replaced with Math 20-1 and 30-1, and Applied Math 20 and 30 were replaced with Math 20-2 and 30-2. Math 14 and 24 were replaced with Math 10-4 and 20-4. Math 31 remains:

Math 10C, 20-1, 30-1, 31
Math 10C, 20-2, 30-2
Math 10-4, 20-4

The new curriculum is designed to allow students to be more flexible about which stream they are doing. You can do 30-1 after 30-2 without needing to take earlier courses like you did if you had Applied 30 and needed to do Pure 10 followed by Pure 20, followed by Pure 30.

Note that any time one of these curriculum changes happened, it is of course done over the course of 3 years each time, with one level changing over each year.

Whether or not Applied Math 30 and Pure Math 30 were "referred to" as 30-2 and 30-1 internally as course codes prior to the actual course name change is irrelevant, as the courses were never actually called that, and there was a noticeable content/curriculum change when it happened.

I graduated in 2004, and none of this affects me at all. Why am I even posting here... haha.

Jeff

Yea sick 5 year bump to drop some knowledge.

This sounds way better than it used to be (ie: being about to do 30-1 after 30-2.

I had a couple friends that screwed around and later smartened up and had a hell of a time getting into the pure stream. Glad to see things seem to have changed a bit.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-12-2017 02:02 AM
J-hop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-hop Click here to Send J-hop a Private Message Find more posts by J-hop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Power_Of_Rotary
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (11)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

I graduated HS in 2007and applied classes "-2" was already implemented (usually for white kids)

Originally posted by beyond_ban
Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Old Post 05-12-2017 09:07 AM
Power_Of_Rotary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Power_Of_Rotary Click here to Send Power_Of_Rotary a Private Message Find more posts by Power_Of_Rotary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Never could figure out Calculus.

But I did take Computer Programming 10/20/30 way back when which started with "assembly" pretty much as close to flipping transistors by hand as you can get.

I am dismayed to this day that there is not more computer math, logic math, algorithm math. Math students don't even understand the basics of loseless data compression, which is integral in every single image or sound they see on the internet.

Predictive math, like what is used in modern computer chips is arguably just as important if not more so than Calculus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_predictor

Unknown to many, the computer chip has had a certain amount of math based "intelligence" for quite a while. It can usually predict an outcome almost 19 times out of 20, but it always knows when its made a mistake in prediction. With the simple logic math "if wrong outcome, retry with different branch" has improved computing speed by a factor of 10x.

Math based on 10 digits - while useful for US dollar calculations is really not all that useful in a digital world. Realistically, octa and hexadecimal is what computers use and might be useful to teach as well. Just add extra fingers on humans until you get to sixteen and its all good. Although arguably, it can get confusing at times if you start to think too much like a computer.

Example: F x E = D2 but also 9 x 8 = 48

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexad...ation_table.svg

Yes, the computer you rely on to do your taxes properly does predict outcomes and may be wrong a good 3% of the time.

Matrix spoiler.

Last edited by ZenOps on 05-12-2017 at 12:05 PM

Old Post 05-12-2017 11:37 AM
ZenOps is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Type_S1
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Okay Richard...nobody believes your loseless compression will work anyways.

Old Post 05-12-2017 01:51 PM
Type_S1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Type_S1 Click here to Send Type_S1 a Private Message Find more posts by Type_S1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08

quote:

Mathematics profs of "old" tend to hail Calculus, but in real use in a modern world that relies on computers it is increasingly limited.

Some of the best breakthroughs in computing were done with "lesser minds" meaning imperfect solutions. Math snobs (especially math professors taught in the 1970s) much like wine snobs tend to like to have a definitive answer.

Lossy compression makes Netflix possible. It is definitely imperfect and a standard mathematics professor would probably scream in horror at how many mathematical inaccuracies there are (if they can even comprehend it) corrected and uncorrected. And yet, it works.

If you spent 5 cents on a wad of gum to hold up a bumper on a Ferrari, and you could guarantee with 99.998% accuracy it would never fail over the lifetime of the car - then why is the solution of spending $150 to have it bolted with a titanium rivet a better solution? Not to be overtly racist, but Asians tend to take the first answer (it also explains why some always seem to declare bankruptcy more than others, "uncompromising" is not a positive trait to many.)

Last edited by ZenOps on 05-12-2017 at 03:18 PM

Old Post 05-12-2017 03:04 PM
ZenOps is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sexualbanana
Second Gear

What I drive: Altima Se-R
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Originally posted by sexualbanana
Idiots. It's Math 28.

Over 5 years later, I'm still disappointed no one got this joke.

Old Post 05-12-2017 04:39 PM
sexualbanana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sexualbanana Click here to Send sexualbanana a Private Message Visit sexualbanana's homepage! Find more posts by sexualbanana Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
Second Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Originally posted by Type_S1
Okay Richard...nobody believes your loseless compression will work anyways.

Old Post 05-12-2017 06:17 PM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Lange
Neutral

What I drive: '86 AE86, '11 GSE20 6MT
Posts/Day: 0.04

quote:

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Over 5 years later, I'm still disappointed no one got this joke.

Haha.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged with TRD Stuff
1993 Toyota Previa 5MT Studded Ice Race Van

Old Post 05-12-2017 08:34 PM
Jeff Lange is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Lange Click here to Send Jeff Lange a Private Message Visit Jeff Lange's homepage! Find more posts by Jeff Lange Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wakalimasu
Neutral

What I drive: 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Hahaha back in my days we had math 33 which was easy math and you couldn't use it for an advanced diploma

Old Post 05-18-2017 07:50 PM
Wakalimasu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wakalimasu Click here to Send Wakalimasu a Private Message Find more posts by Wakalimasu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.67
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Originally posted by Wakalimasu
Hahaha back in my days we had math 33 which was easy math and you couldn't use it for an advanced diploma

Geez, how old are you?

Old Post 05-19-2017 12:48 AM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Inzane
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.23

quote:

Originally posted by Wakalimasu

Yeah, same here. I thought the math 13/23/33 stream was considered remedial math.

I only took 10/20/30/31 so I have no idea what the curriculum actually looked like in those other classes. I just know that friends and classmates who took the 'x3' courses were generally not on the path of academic excellence.

Old Post 05-20-2017 05:04 AM
Inzane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Inzane Click here to Send Inzane a Private Message Find more posts by Inzane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:32 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Campus Chat > what is "math 30-2"?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: