Quantcast
What part of Maui to stay in? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What part of Maui to stay in?

Originally posted by 89coupe
    David Pauls was nice, but it doesn't feel Hawaiin at all, feels more like New Orleans, wouldn't you agree?
    I've never been to New Orleans but yeah I can agree it doesn't have a very authentic Hawaiian feel. Although, I'm not 100% sure what that even means :P

My idea of Hawaiian feel is The Old Lahaina Luau but locals would probably disagree haha. The food there is pretty good for a luau.
    ---

My Ride
    MDX

I'm spending a week at Honua Kai in April, can't wait as its my first Hawaii trip. Kaanapali seemed to have everything I was looking for.

Originally posted by 89coupe
    David Pauls was nice, but it doesn't feel Hawaiin at all, feels more like New Orleans, wouldn't you agree?

Pea Soup, ahaha, now I know who you are, you are that photog guy who thinks he takes the best photos in the world...LOL

Weren't you the guy who told me that Haleakala was a trecherous drive to the summit and only recommended a 4x4? LOL

...and weren't you the guy who told me to wear winter clothes cause its freezing at the top? LOL

You also told me that the hike to Waimoku falls is dangerous and that taking my daughter is foolish, crossing streams, and the risk of being washed away? LOL

Yeh, all nonsense...LOL

Here is a post I did on Maui.
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/311400/aloha-from-maui/

Sorry coupe you think you take the best photos in the world. I'm just a guy who enjoys taking photos.

The trail going up to waimoku falls during the wet season is hazardous. There's even signs in the park that warn you of this. The water can approach 5 feet deep in the area you need to cross to get to waimoku falls. I guess you don't heed warning signs though.

Don't think I'd tell you that you need a 4x4 for anything maui related.

Total nonsense of course. I've only lived on the island for two years, not like I'd know anything about it.

I tell everyone they need to experience Molokai to truly experience Hawaii. Imagine an entire island that is like Hana and that's the idea. It's very non-commercial with very little tourism especially compared to Oahu and Maui. Maui in the last 5 years has had some crazy commercial growth which is starting to kill the experience of maui.

Even big island is very cool in it's own rights. The volcano's there are just incredible.

Immoff to Maui in 2 weeks, staying in Kaanapali. Reading this thread has got me even more amped to go haha!

Make sure you go eat at Aloha Mixed Plate. I went to Maui almost two years ago and still dream about the food here.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-09-2019 at 02:46 PM.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Another vote for north kihei, in a condo with a kitchen if you can. sansei is good but be prepared to line up early on Sunday's and Monday's, ulua beach is good for free snorkeling, hit up the farmers market on the u of h campus for cheap produce/flowers/touristy gifts for family

The Indian restaurant (monsoon india) at menehune shores in kihei is a fantastic place to watch the sunset, but it is byob as they have no liquor lisence. Also, make sure you check out the flatbread company in paia, good pizza in an awesome little surf town. Da kitchen has a couple locations on island, each with their own menu, good for cheap food.

You really can't go wrong with Maui, it is a really good place to relax, and it can be done for quite a reasonable price if you know what to look for.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

If you are poor like me, and don't want to eat at the baller restauarants, Freds Mexican in Kihei has great food and is reasonably priced.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ui_Hawaii.html

Kihei is a good place to stay, they have alot of vacation rentals there. Make sure you check out a place called Wokstar on S. Kihei. Its BYOB, and they have awesome dishes.

Just don't cheap out on a rental vehicle. Make sure you get a relatively new vehicle from a reputable rental store. I recommend this to everyone as the road to hana and going down the volcano are going to require a car that doesn't have shot brakes.

May sound crazy but my sister-in-law had this happen to them.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I was just there like 3 weeks ago, totally agree!!

Stay the hell away from the PuPu lounge... Jesus fuck I got sick from eating there. And if anybody offers you "Walu" / "Waloo", "Hawaiian butterfly", or "Hawaiian Halibut" fish.... smash them in the fucking face and walk out as it is actually mislabled Escolar... they have been trying to ban it in Hawaii for a while because it gives people such bad food poisoning.
    Hahahah. We had the walu, and it was fucking delicious (and didn't have keriorrhea either)

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If I were to stay in Kaanapali or Lahaina, would it be possible to do the Road to Hana in one day or should I be staying in Hana for one night? I feel like I'll be spending a lot of time in Maui and want a solid location for my stay instead of hopping around, if possible.
    Ultracrepidarian

Nah you'd be fine as you won't spend a lot of time out there. The drive to Hana is the majority of the experience and then hiking the pipiwi trail.

You can take the south road back contrary to what they say. It'll save you a lot of time. I suggest leaving your resort in Kaanapali by 6am at the very latest for it.

I say this since you'll avoid being stuck behind tourist buses that stop all the time and drive insanely slow. It'll make the entire experience more enjoyable.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

So if I leave that early, I'll be able to do the Pipiwi trail AND the drive in one day? Because that would be sweet. For the road I want be in no rush at all. I see something, just pull over and see it rather than worrying if I'll be back in time.

Which highways would you personally take?
    Ultracrepidarian

They way I go out there.

I leave my resort at 5am.

Take the Hana Highway out there. Enjoy it.

DO NOT DO NOT buy the road to Hana CD or do anything that POS recommends. It'll end up taking you off the road for hours for crap that isn't worth seeing.

Pipiwi Trail, Oheo gulch, and some of the spots around Hana are just cool to check out. The road along the way has some scenic views where you can briefly stop.

The waterfalls on the sides of the road are crap. Utter crap.

There are some cool beaches and photo ops around Hana. Some crazy surf out there.

After you've hiked pipiwi trail, seen waimoku falls, etc. I always suggest taking the south road back as it is a little different and it'll take you through the old lava fields. Try to check on the road advisories ahead of time. This can change each year depending on how bad the wet season is.

The area on the south side of the volcano is well known for having roads that get washed out. The road reports will usually show this though. You will also avoid the traffic headache going back.

Traffic headache meaning non stop idiots diving 15mph on the Hana Highway.

My Ride
    04 Rsx-s,07 Frontier, 11 ss/rs

We are in Kihei again. We really like it as its low-key for relaxing. Easy drive to tourist stuff when you want. Buddy owns 2 condos side-by-side here.
    2 weeks last year, 3 this year.
    I'm not an amazing-race type tourist. I come to relax and do maybe 1 thing per day.
    Ate at PuPu actually last week. Slow, but the Hebi was good. Found some killer hot sauces in a market nearby, tried them on the food. Nobody got sick.
    We like the Big wave down the street for breakfast.
    You have to try going around the coast by Kappalua. Killer drive, get a compact or jeep though. My charger rental is pretty big and goofy on some of the tiny, wet, mucky, sometimes very slippery, and narrow roads.
    Doing Hanna Tuesday. Been to the Aquarium, going again as the week pass costs only $8 more/ person than single day pass. Cool tube/ tunnel. Some cool fish, but overall expensive for what you see.
    The sunsets around Kihei are amazing.
    Never mind it hardly rains here, ever.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Has anyone stayed in Wailuku? There is a sweet hostel there I really want to book. I'm thinking of the day I do Road to Hana leaving from Laihana I could stay at Waikuku for the night and go to Halk Sunrise. The place I'm doing all my diving is from Kihei so I'd like to stay close to there in terms of real-world driving times as I really don't want to move a lot but not sure if Waikuku or Laihana is closer.

EDIT: Well I spent quite a bit of time and have booked all my inter island flights, rental vehicles and hostels. Planning out a trip this much beforehand is not my style but Hawaii has too much to see in only 2.5weeks! I'll make it work - pretty stoked now
    Last edited by msommers; 03-13-2012 at 03:06 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rally pig

Bumping this as we have decided to go to Maui this november and right now am looking for places to stay.

I picked Kihei as it's in the center of the island and more quiet

Does anyone recommend a good hotel they stayed in Kihei or a beachfront condo that they stayed in?
    We will be there for 7 nights and looking to spend only around 150$/night

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Kihei is definitely the place to be. Good location, plenty of beaches close by and less expensive than the places further south. As for specific places, I can't comment.

Lemme know if you have any Maui questions, be happy to help.
    Ultracrepidarian

I've stayed at the Maui Kamaole. We had a one bedroom, 2 bathroom condo style suite with full kitchen. The property was excellent and right across the street from the beach. These units are privately owned so not all the suites are in the same condition.

I have had 2 co-workers stay at Kamaole Sands and they had a similar experience to mine. Again these are privately owned so you may not get a newly reno'd unit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast