Quantcast
What shops offer nanocoatings? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What shops offer nanocoatings?

Default What shops offer nanocoatings?

I looked around a bit and it's not clear to me if these ceramic/titanium 'nanocoatings' that last 2+ years are available to the public, or if you have to pay a shop to apply them.

Can someone give me a rough idea of what it costs to pay someone to apply one of these coatings to a car, and who in Calgary does it? I checked Detailz and Refine but their websites make no mention of these coatings.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Can anyone explain how they work on top of a film like 3M or XPEL?

Had this put onto my odyssey back when it was new. And I don't know what the deal was, but felt like it was unusually hard to get it clean in the carwash. Both on the film and on the paint. Could the nano-ceramic type coating do that? I always figured it was supposed to make it easier to clean?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I have Opticoat+ on top of Ultimate XPEL on my entire car, and I have yet to use any mitt or agitation other than a strong minimally diluted shampoo and electrical pressure washer.

I had Jed install both the film and coating. I read that preparation and how it is applied is a big part on how the coating will perform, so I could totally see mixed results if it wasn't prepared/applied properly.

I am sure Jed would provide these services from where he is now at Porsche.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 02-21-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Do you know what he charged for just the coating and the opticoat product? I am trying to figure out if this is a $300 venture or a $1000+ venture haha. I can shoot him a PM too.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

From what i heard MR isn't operating anymore and jed is running detailing for Porsche center now?

edit: sorry didn't notice someone had mentioned that.

I would imagine the detailing shop at Porsche would keep him busy tho
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Do you know what he charged for just the coating and the opticoat product? I am trying to figure out if this is a $300 venture or a $1000+ venture haha. I can shoot him a PM too.
    From what I recall, Opticoat+ (7 year) is ~$1200 for the full application, which includes the polish.

C.Quartz (5 year) was less, but keep in mind you also have to pay for the polish before application anyways. It was less, but not by much.

There is another product called Optimum Gloss-Coat which is supposed to compete with C. Quartz, but it only lasts 2-3 years. The application would be $245, but does not include the polish work before prep. I think it will be less total, but depending on the cost of the polish, you're looking at easily $500+ even for this.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 02-21-2017 at 11:44 AM.

My Ride

Originally posted by killramos

I would imagine the detailing shop at Porsche would keep him busy tho
    But you can still go through Porsche for the detailing and ask that he works on the car. He's the detailing manager there.

$500 I could work with. I don't want to spend $1200 though for that I would probably just stick with my polymer paint sealants and try to do it more often. Even on a brand new car would it have to be power polished first?

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Here's a bit of information for you.

Most of the nano coatings offered professionally are guaranteed to last at least 3 years. Titanium will go between 5-10 years.

The reason why the warranty varies is how one maintain their vehicles.

All coatings require some sort of maintenance. Washing your vehicle regularly is considered a maintenance as well.

My Ride

$500 I could work with. I don't want to spend $1200 though for that I would probably just stick with my polymer paint sealants and try to do it more often. Even on a brand new car would it have to be power polished first?
    I would say so, but I would check with someone more knowledgeable first.

The recommendation is a single stage polish as there are imperfections that come from factory, and possibly some reasons to do with how it adheres. I know for sure I would do it if it was film application, but not sure on coating.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Had this put onto my odyssey back when it was new. And I don't know what the deal was, but felt like it was unusually hard to get it clean in the carwash. Both on the film and on the paint. Could the nano-ceramic type coating do that? I always figured it was supposed to make it easier to clean?
    Putting SI02 coatings on film. You have to be careful with that.

Many PPF manufacturer will actually void the warranty of their film if they know you put a hard coating on it.

Let's put it this way. PPF expands and contract and they stretch. This is how they are able to stop impact from rocks. Putting a SI02 coating on it will sometimes affect the film.

Coatings do not last very long on ppf. Expect hydrophobic to last about 1-2 years. Now there are films now with infused hydrophobic top coat so coating them is sometimes not necessary.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Even on a brand new car would it have to be power polished first?
    If the dealership washed the car there will be scratches in it guaranteed.

These are 2 shops that do coatings:
    http://detailingbliss.ca/
    http://www.srautointernational.com/

I do polishing and coatings part time but I don't have access to the professional lines like these guys.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I want to add that Carpro developed a Carpro Essence Plus (improved Carpro Essence) that will 'repair' coatings that has 'love marks' on them.

Also, even with the protective barrier from the coating, a thorough shampoo is necessary to revive the hydrophobic property of the coating. This can be with Carpro Reset or a similar product.

In addition, one can maximize the longevity and durability of the coating with SiO2 based sealant in between (bi-)weekly wash.
    Last edited by HiSpec; 02-21-2017 at 04:31 PM.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Originally posted by HiSpec
    I want to add that Carpro developed a Carpro Essence Plus (improved Carpro Essence) that will 'repair' coatings that has 'love marks' on them.

Also, even with the protective barrier from the coating, a thorough shampoo is necessary to revive the hydrophobic property of the coating. This can be with Carpro Reset or a similar product.

In addition, one can maximize the longevity and durability of the coating with SiO2 based sealant in between (bi-)weekly wash.
    Essence is one of our all time favourite! However the Plus is nonabrasive, it's meant to bring back hydrophobic more than Removing any defects.

Both essence and the plus is a must have in our aresnol.

Instead of calling it thorough shampoo, I think decontamination would be more precise. With OCP+ and our coatings, a decon yearly is needed to maintain the coatings

SI02 based sealant degrades the hydrophobic but extends the durability! Carpro Reload, CS-II Aqua and Optimum opti-seal are all great products.

ZR Auto offers Cermanic Pro.

I think they range from 800 - 2500 dollars.

I'd recommend SR International that someone else above mentioned - my friend got his STI done there with the titanium coating and I got my accord done with the ceramic.

Car washes are a breeze - high pressure rinse and wipe with a microfiber cloth and i'm pretty much good to go.

Dealt with Rainer and Humphrey; both are knowledgeable guys and really easy to deal with. definitely check out their site if you have any questions - really well laid out and helps answer a lot of questions (with videos to kind of get a visualization)

http://www.srautointernational.com/

i think they're having a promotion going on right now as well. well worth to check it out

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just to clarify, would it be a terrible idea to get these coatings put on if the paint hasn't been polished? Cause that's what we did back in the day, and I'm wondering if that explains my poor outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Just to clarify, would it be a terrible idea to get these coatings put on if the paint hasn't been polished? Cause that's what we did back in the day, and I'm wondering if that explains my poor outcome.
    There is no hard and fast rule that says you must polish before hand, but it would be the logical thing to do if there are any swirls or even light paint contamination. The biggest factor in how good any of these coatings are is prep. Basically the surfaces have to be wiped down carefully to ensure that there is no wax/grease/oils on there.

My Ride
    E93 335is, F32 435xi, '16 Denali 1500

Mr frost mobile detailing did my black Denali, over the 3m, amazing stuff makes cleaning it a breeze.

Booked in at SR International for this weekend - thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast