Quantcast
What should I lease? (Long) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What should I lease? (Long)

Default What should I lease? (Long)

I drive a lot more now and the time has come for me to get a new car. I think I want to lease this time around. The $299/mo Cadillac ATS lease deal would have been the biggest no-brainer, but sadly it is no longer available and may never come back.

Requirements:
    Approx. $400/mo, really trying to stick to that, lower the better
    Turbo 4cyl or V6 (I want easily accessible torque)
    Sedan or hatch, small to midsize - prefer hatch. Would entertain small sporty SUV.
    4 doors
    Practical
    Reasonably fun

Preferences:
    Above average/good stereo
    AWD
    Strong preference for DCT or really good automatic
    Android Auto
    Blind spot monitoring / various collision avoidance technologies

This is what I'm looking at, all prices are rough and before negotiations

2017 Mercedes B250 4Matic premium pkg (Front runner) ($38-41K or so, $440-450/mo)
    + 2.0T, DCT, AWD trifecta that is so very rare
    + Great interior
    + Has all the options I want except perhaps a good stereo
    + $3570 incentive & 0.9% lease

- Most expensive, pushing my budget to the max
    - Looks are not my favorite (mini minivan)
    - Leasing is monthly only, no bi-weekly payments which adds ~$50/mo to the payment unnecessarily
    - Apparently getting overhauled in MY2018 or MY2019

2017 Honda Civic Touring (Sedan) or Sport Touring (Hatchback) (~$31K, ~$400/mo)
    + 1.5T makes a lot more power than advertised and should be enough for my purposes
    + Very well optioned, good stereo, android auto, heated front & rear seats, rain sensing wipers, the whole 9 yards
    + Cheaper to lease/maintain
    + New model
    + Probably the most sensible option

- CVT is the only option if I don't want to drive another manual and I don't prefer CVTs. No manual option on the sedan in Touring trim.
    - Completely unrealistic artificially low residuals (~$12K after 4 years) force the payments much higher than expected
    - No cashback or lease rate promotions
    - FWD
    - "Sport" models look too riced out with excessive plastic body cladding
    - The Civic Si might be an easy choice but it isn't available and there is no word when it's coming

2017 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD (~$45K or $436/mo lease)
    + Lots of car for the leasing money
    + $3500 incentive
    + Probably has the best "base" stereo
    + Fantastic AWD system

- No android/apple auto available at all on any models (only the NSX has it lol)
    - "Base" model, has no tech options or monitoring tech
    - Apparently getting overhauled for MY2018
    - Fuel economy

Other things I've looked at to lease - a lot of them creep into my price range until you add the necessary options, then they are too much:

GTI / Golf R - Too expensive, pricing too close to the R as soon as you add any options
    Golf - Bad transmission options (5MT or poorly reviewed traditional automatic), 1.8T low-ish on power
    Most american cars - Too expensive due to garbage residuals
    Hyundai Elantra GT - Too expensive due to garbage residual
    Infiniti QX30 - $5000 for basic option package makes it too expensive
    Mercedes GLA/CLA - Too Expensive
    Mercedes C300 w/$4400 incentive - Still too expensive
    WRX - Possible, but would have to live with the manual. CVT in that car is unattractive (drone). Power delivery not as good for easy city driving.
    Volvo - nothing in my price range
    Acura ILX - By far the cheapest to lease ($350/mo well equipped) but too boring I think. Very sensible car though, and has an 8speed DCT ( who knew?) Will be better when it gets the turbo updates and the new Civic platform.

Still need to look into:
    BMW X1 - probably too expensive
    BMW 228 - probably too expensive

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I way out to lunch on anything? Anything I should look at that I haven't? Any salespeople want to give me a wicked deal? TIA

My Ride
    G37X

Acura TSX V6 SH-AWD is a killer choice. A bit overpriced imo. But I'd pick that for your criteria.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

I thought the BMW's would have lower monthly payments as they tend to inflate their residuals.. Worth looking into at least.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Mazda3 Sport GT?

It's pretty nice inside and out, and has pep.

Wolfsburg edition Tiguan is under 400 a month and has everything you asked. Iffy about the transmission though.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    NC1

So many choices out there

I think the WRX fits the bill for me if it can be done for $400
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by max_boost

I think the WRX fits the bill for me if it can be done for $400
    Probably with a sizable down payment.

*EDIT* Base model WRX, 20,000km/year, $1500 down is $392.74 a month plus taxes and fees
    Last edited by spikerS; 02-09-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

As long as you set aside some money to straight pipe it. Love that boxer sound without a muffler.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

i checked out a mini clubman awd but the lease payments were surprisingly high

My Ride
    NC1

Honestly I'd probably take any BMW/Benz/Lexus etc. if I can get into it for $400/month zero down. Budget balling FTW
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Default Re: What should I lease? (Long)

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

+ $3500 incentive
    + Fantastic AWD system

- No android/apple auto available at all on any models (only the NSX has it lol)
    - Fuel economy
    Mitsu, one day I will do a full review on the 2015 that I have, but on your points

Overall the car is pretty good, and very good value for the price. Its very quiet and refined. The Audio system sounds decent enough, but is infuriatingly slow to use - this is my biggest complaint, its on par with Idrive from 2008. They may have improved this since.

The AWD system is great, very quick to react and the "SH-" really does seem true, the car is quite agile (with the limit point being the garbage Goodyear tires).

Fuel Economy is actually a plus, its incredible on the highway (6.5L/100km), and definitely good enough in the city (~9.5-10). I run regular in mine.

My lease (including tax) is $366, so there is a definite variance there.

Some people don't like the transmission, I find it to be quite good in sport mode - responsive and fun. Sport + is too aggressive.

Did you look at the Lexus IS and the Infinity Q50?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Re: What should I lease? (Long)

+ $3500 incentive
    + Fantastic AWD system

- Fuel economy
    I lucked out last year when Acura was giving away AWD TLX's and am current leased for 4 years at $365+tax/month at 0%.

2018 it getting a refresh (like you said) should look something like this:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Haven't done much research but I'm assuming they'll finally fix the shitty transmission. Gas mileage isn't terrible, I'll check what I'm averaging later tonight.

Mine is a base AWD (not Tech) and the only thing I missed was a car starter which I've since added. Also heated steering wheel would have been nice but stereo is sufficient and don't really need any of the tech upgrades.

Edit: haha what Niel said!

Default Re: Re: What should I lease? (Long)

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Acura TSX V6 SH-AWD is a killer choice. A bit overpriced imo. But I'd pick that for your criteria.
    The incentive helps a bit. Yes they are expensive, but have very strong residuals which means the lease payment isn't too crazy. The problem with this one (as with most of the entry level German cars) is I don't want the base model, and as soon as you add simple options you have added $5K and they payment is $500+/mo. It's a frustrating realization haha. I keep thinking "ooo I can get into X car"...then I add AWD and a basic option package and it's way too expensive.

Originally posted by Tej.S
    I thought the BMW's would have lower monthly payments as they tend to inflate their residuals.. Worth looking into at least.
    Will look into more. I think the option packages are going to kill it though. The entry level pricing on the German cars gets you almost nothing in terms of connectivity and technology.

Originally posted by flipstah
    Mazda3 Sport GT?

It's pretty nice inside and out, and has pep.
    N/A 4-cyl is out of the question - I want a torquey motor for zipping around in the city, and something that can easily pass on the highway. I've also heard so many horror stories about every Mazda dealer in the city that I am scared to have any commitment with them.

Originally posted by spikerS

Probably with a sizable down payment.

*EDIT* Base model WRX, 20,000km/year, $1500 down is $392.74 a month plus taxes and fees
    WRX would be fun but the CVT is a deal-breaker on that car, and the manual + 4000rpm torque peak is just not really my driving style. I plan on test driving one again though to confirm my suspicions. It also falls into the same trap as so many other cars - starts at $29,900, adding necessary options & freight brings you to $38K.

Honestly I'd probably take any BMW/Benz/Lexus etc. if I can get into it for $400/month zero down. Budget balling FTW
    A base model Lexus NX I think squeaks into the $400 range but again the problem is they strip it of all options, so when you get what you want it's too expensive. I really like the NX a lot actually, but too much money.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Mitsu, one day I will do a full review on the 2015 that I have, but on your points

Overall the car is pretty good, and very good value for the price. Its very quiet and refined. The Audio system sounds decent enough, but is infuriatingly slow to use - this is my biggest complaint, its on par with Idrive from 2008. They may have improved this since.

The AWD system is great, very quick to react and the "SH-" really does seem true, the car is quite agile (with the limit point being the garbage Goodyear tires).

Fuel Economy is actually a plus, its incredible on the highway (6.5L/100km), and definitely good enough in the city (~9.5-10). I run regular in mine.

My lease (including tax) is $366, so there is a definite variance there.

Some people don't like the transmission, I find it to be quite good in sport mode - responsive and fun. Sport + is too aggressive.

Did you look at the Lexus IS and the Infinity Q50?
    Thanks - do you have the 9spd auto or was that introduced after? That is the only transmission option on the 2017's. $366 would probably be a no-brainer decision for me (or I could add more options and do $400) but they don't seem to be that cheap at the moment. Even after $3500 incentive, I get $436/mo all-in for a 2017 V6 SH AWD with zero options. The "Tech" is coming up on $500. All 4-year leases with low km.

The Lexus IS starts at over $40,000 with no options, which is too expensive unfortunately. The base model doesn't even have heated seats, and after $1000 incentive is still $460/mo (bi weekly calc). Technically doable but I would rather have a different car with all the options I think.

Q50 2.0t isn't even on the Infiniti website for build & price for some reason unless I'm missing something. I thought I looked at it though and as soon as you add AWD and basic options you are well into the $40K bracket. They have a promo on the 3.0T for $448/mo but you have to put $2800 down. I'm not opposed to putting a tiny bit down if it helps a lot, but my understanding of leasing has always been that you can't afford it if you have to put money down. They do the QX30 for $398/mo as well but it requires a $3600 down payment.

Originally posted by 88CRX

I lucked out last year when Acura was giving away AWD TLX's and am current leased for 4 years at $365+tax/month at 0%.

2018 it getting a refresh (like you said) should look something like this:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Haven't done much research but I'm assuming they'll finally fix the shitty transmission. Gas mileage isn't terrible, I'll check what I'm averaging later tonight.

Mine is a base AWD (not Tech) and the only thing I missed was a car starter which I've since added. Also heated steering wheel would have been nice but stereo is sufficient and don't really need any of the tech upgrades.

Edit: haha what Niel said!
    Damn for $365/mo I'd be all over that (or a bit more for the tech). Do you remember what month they had that in?

Also is the current 9spd the same one everyone is complaining about? One thing I can't stand is a transmission with too many gears and shitty programming - had a couple rentals with them now (Jeep Cherokee) and it ruined the entire vehicle.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-09-2017 at 02:05 PM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

How are you getting these estimates? Is it from Manufacturers websites?

I'm willing to bet if you got dealer quotes on that B250 4matic and a loaded GTI (non PP) they would either be the same or GTI would be less.

But if you like MB, this is a really good price:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...dan/1211550203
    Last edited by Aleks; 02-09-2017 at 03:23 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    As long as you set aside some money to straight pipe it. Love that boxer sound without a muffler.
    He would need to go for the STI for that. New WRX has an equal length header setup, so no more rumble.

Originally posted by Aleks
    How are you getting these estimates? Is it from Manufacturers websites?

I'm willing to bet if you got dealer quotes on that B250 4matic and a loaded GTI (non PP) they would either be the same or GTI would be less.
    Strictly websites, yes. The only dealer I have been to so far before this week's snow hit is Mercedes, so I can't test drive anything until next week. The prices do not include negotiations, but *most* manufacturers at least have their promotions on their website for me to take into account.

A loaded GTI (non performance) payment is $522/mo and the fine print suggests that still doesn't include GST or dealer fees (like freight?).

My other problem with the GTI is psychological. A loaded GTI is less than ~$2K from a (base) Golf R, which is twice the car of a GTI as far as I'm concerned. Lease payments on a base "R" are $567/mo which I can't afford, so the whole scenario makes me mad

The other thing that makes this all more difficult is telling a dealer upfront that I want to lease likely makes it harder to get a good deal. Giving them a payment and letting them fill in the black box is not what I like. I'd rather come to them knowing the vehicle cost, less incentives, give them $500 or 3% or whatever (or less if they are making the sale for volume kickbacks from the manufacturer), and have a good idea of the range they should be offering me. I am not used to shopping via payment, so I feel like my guard is up more than usual.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-09-2017 at 03:30 PM.

My Ride

Strictly websites, yes. The only dealer I have been to so far before this week's snow hit is Mercedes, so I can't test drive anything until next week. The prices do not include negotiations, but *most* manufacturers at least have their promotions on their website for me to take into account.

A loaded GTI (non performance) payment is $522/mo and the fine print suggests that still doesn't include GST or dealer fees (like freight?).

My other problem with the GTI is psychological. A loaded GTI is less than ~$2K from a (base) Golf R, which is twice the car of a GTI as far as I'm concerned. Lease payments on a base "R" are $567/mo which I can't afford, so the whole scenario makes me mad

The other thing that makes this all more difficult is telling a dealer upfront that I want to lease likely makes it harder to get a good deal. Giving them a payment and letting them fill in the black box is not what I like. I'd rather come to them knowing the vehicle cost, less incentives, give them $500 or 3% or whatever (or less if they are making the sale for volume kickbacks from the manufacturer), and have a good idea of the range they should be offering me. I am not used to shopping via payment, so I feel like my guard is up more than usual.
    As always, PM Ryan and see what he can get you on any VW. You might be surprised on the GTI. Some websites are better than others. They can have big swings in what's online and what they want you to pay once you start negotiating (doc fees, finance acquisitions etc).

Originally posted by Aleks

As always, PM Ryan and see what he can get you on any VW. You might be surprised on the GTI. Some websites are better than others. They can have big swings in what's online and what they want you to pay once you start negotiating (doc fees, finance acquisitions etc).
    Certainly worth a look - never hurts. I will at least entertain pretty much anything, especially with a lease where I am far less picky about brand, reliability, etc. I just want the most car for the dollar, and I'd be thrilled to get a special deal like the $365 TLX, $299 ATS, etc.

I gave Ryan my contact info on Jan 17, he said he would send me some options but never did so I don't know what's going on there haha His PM box is full now though so maybe he's just really busy. People seem to really like him so I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

My GTI costs me $360/month

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Im 100$ off your budget baller - Paying just over 500 and took over some dudes 3000 down on my 2016

I was looking for a TLX for comparison but people were paying 600 a month for em! Plus they wouldnt add any cash on. Bastards!

My is250 is so gutless though and doesnt get stellar fuel economy ... But fuck its nice inside!! Handles well too!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast