Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Who keeps maintenance records, and how?

Author
Thread
Swank
Neutral

What I drive: 2007 Civic Si
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (8)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I have almost everything done at the dealership, I'd do my own oil changes if they weren't free there. When I switched dealerships due to moving across the city they printed out my entire service history to provide to the new dealership, it was pretty detailed so I kept a copy. I think that would satisfy a potential buyer, and if it doesn't then they weren't the right one.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-01-2017 04:46 PM
Swank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Swank Click here to Send Swank a Private Message Find more posts by Swank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

nickyh
Neutral

What I drive: 2012 Volkswagen GTI, CW, 6spd
Posts/Day: 0.06
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I keep all mine. if i sell the car privately I give them to new owner if they want them, if they don't i shred.
My next car may be a trade in, so I don't think the dealer will want those.

I also keep my payoff letters on my car loans and let the new owner inspect that, but I keep that for my CYA file.

Old Post 02-01-2017 04:56 PM
nickyh is online now Click Here to See the Profile for nickyh Click here to Send nickyh a Private Message Find more posts by nickyh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.10
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

My cars all have built in service reminders, where I get it serviced at the dealer. I don't keep any of it because the dealer can print them all out for me if/when I need it.

Fuck paper.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 02-01-2017 05:24 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drivingcanada

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Thanks for the awesome and helpful responses - looks like it's currently a binder of papers for many people, with a few venturing into excel/online territory.

For those who buy/sell privately through craigslist, kijiji etc, I wonder - if you had instant online access to all the maintenance records (both DIY and dealer/independent with invoice snapshots ) along with a seller's ad, and could view them before having to contact the seller, would that save you time or change the way you filter through ads?

Or as a seller, if you had an easy way to (optionally) include your records with your ad, do you think it would help in selling your vehicle?

Old Post 02-02-2017 03:06 AM
drivingcanada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drivingcanada Click here to Send drivingcanada a Private Message Visit drivingcanada's homepage! Find more posts by drivingcanada Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
relyt92
First Gear

What I drive: G37X
Posts/Day: 0.25

quote:

I keep invoices and receipts in an envelope, and also keep a Google Docs file with date/mileage/what and where it was done that I could pull up on my phone anywhere or show to a potential buyer.

Old Post 02-02-2017 03:29 AM
relyt92 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for relyt92 Click here to Send relyt92 a Private Message Find more posts by relyt92 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomcoPDR
Slanty Gwai Lo

What I drive: Bowtie
Posts/Day: 0.73
Trader Rating: (78)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Originally posted by drivingcanada
Thanks for the awesome and helpful responses - looks like it's currently a binder of papers for many people, with a few venturing into excel/online territory.

For those who buy/sell privately through craigslist, kijiji etc, I wonder - if you had instant online access to all the maintenance records (both DIY and dealer/independent with invoice snapshots ) along with a seller's ad, and could view them before having to contact the seller, would that save you time or change the way you filter through ads?

Or as a seller, if you had an easy way to (optionally) include your records with your ad, do you think it would help in selling your vehicle?

If I was buying used on Kijiji, I don't think it'll change the fact that I'll still need to physically touch/feel the vehicle. Right now, Kijiji offers the seller to link/purchase a carproof report, which hardly any seller offers.

If I was selling used on Kijiji, unless its intergrated free of charge to link/post my receipts, I wouldn't pay any extra for it though.

Old Post 02-02-2017 03:46 AM
TomcoPDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomcoPDR Click here to Send TomcoPDR a Private Message Find more posts by TomcoPDR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MalibuStacy
Neutral

What I drive: 2001 Taurus Road Warrior
Posts/Day: 0.14

quote:

Every car I've owned I keep a service record

Originally posted by speedog
So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

Old Post 02-02-2017 04:08 AM
MalibuStacy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MalibuStacy Click here to Send MalibuStacy a Private Message Find more posts by MalibuStacy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Moff

What I drive: Nissan Skyline
Posts/Day: 0.02

quote:

I type myself an email and print it if I do the work myself

Old Post 02-04-2017 10:31 AM
Moff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Moff Click here to Send Moff a Private Message Visit Moff's homepage! Find more posts by Moff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Neb

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.06

quote:

Well, if you want to get started easily, you could just add a folder to your filing cabinet (if you have a filing cabinet) and place all your repair invoices in there chronologically.

Then get a little notebook and keep that in your glove compartment. Make note of anything you think is important: Dates and mileage of oil changes, the last time the brakes were done, optimum tire pressure, etc...

Old Post 03-16-2017 10:34 PM
Neb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Neb Click here to Send Neb a Private Message Find more posts by Neb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I use an online note-taking app. Web based - Diigo - I just log in with my garage PC and add anything relevant (eg. to do) and anything completed as far as maintenance (Month/year, mileage, work done).

I can also make notes on it while in my car.

Last edited by revelations on 03-16-2017 at 10:55 PM

Old Post 03-16-2017 10:50 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigbadboss101
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (24)
User Rating: 114%

quote:

Keep ours in a binder. Similar to some of the other replies. Keep they until I sell the car. If buyer wants the record I give to them.

Old Post 03-16-2017 11:55 PM
bigbadboss101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigbadboss101 Click here to Send bigbadboss101 a Private Message Find more posts by bigbadboss101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiTempguy1
First Gear

What I drive: 1995 WRX STi
Posts/Day: 0.28
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I mile my cars out. Taking a potential car for a test drive and checking the fluids reveals way more than a binder full of receipts does.

Having said that, if I had a NICE car and was selling it before it was miled out, I can see that being useful for the sale. But I've personally never had a problem.

Just sold my 520k km duramax, guy asked if I had invoices for all the parts I put on, which I did since they were all online order, but he didn't care to take them.

Old Post 03-17-2017 12:40 AM
HiTempguy1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiTempguy1 Click here to Send HiTempguy1 a Private Message Find more posts by HiTempguy1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FraserB
Third Gear

What I drive: GMT900
Posts/Day: 0.89
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I have an Excel sheet that everything goes on. Gas, car washes, modifications, maintenance, insurance. All with cost, date and mileage against each one.

Old Post 03-17-2017 01:12 AM
FraserB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FraserB Click here to Send FraserB a Private Message Find more posts by FraserB Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btimbit
Second Gear

What I drive: '16 Turbo VW
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Binder here too. Dividers for different categories, everything goes into it.

Old Post 03-17-2017 02:23 AM
btimbit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for btimbit Click here to Send btimbit a Private Message Find more posts by btimbit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
v2kai
First Gear

What I drive: AP1 / CRV
Posts/Day: 0.26
Trader Rating: (65)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Keep a folder of receipts and track my maintenance and fuel economy using fuelly. I just make brief notes of maintenance performed when enter the next gas up in the log. Quick and simple

Old Post 03-17-2017 02:46 AM
v2kai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for v2kai Click here to Send v2kai a Private Message Find more posts by v2kai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The_Penguin
Neutral

What I drive: '10 CTS
Posts/Day: 0.11

quote:

Excel sheet with mileage, work done, where done, and cost.
Searchable PDFs scanned of all receipts for DIY stuff and work orders for dealership/other.
No paper kept at all.

Old Post 03-17-2017 02:52 AM
The_Penguin is online now Click Here to See the Profile for The_Penguin Click here to Send The_Penguin a Private Message Find more posts by The_Penguin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roll_over
First Gear

What I drive: Can't driver because I'm legally blind
Posts/Day: 0.21

quote:

Originally posted by rage2
My cars all have built in service reminders, where I get it serviced at the dealer. I don't keep any of it because the dealer can print them all out for me if/when I need it.

Fuck paper.

Except for when I sold my car from my company to myself and Lonestar refused to print shit cause of some freedom of information mumbo jumbo.

Old Post 03-17-2017 03:41 AM
roll_over is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roll_over Click here to Send roll_over a Private Message Find more posts by roll_over Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RealJimmyJames
Neutral

What I drive: Parked in the Bike Lane
Posts/Day: 0.32

quote:

Don't you trust yourself?

I pretty much don't keep anything. Haven't had anyone ask for anything in decades of selling vehicles. Most people don't even pop the hood, let alone want to read a stack of invoices.

Old Post 03-17-2017 04:09 AM
RealJimmyJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RealJimmyJames Click here to Send RealJimmyJames a Private Message Find more posts by RealJimmyJames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roll_over
First Gear

What I drive: Can't driver because I'm legally blind
Posts/Day: 0.21

quote:

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Don't you trust yourself?

I pretty much don't keep anything. Haven't had anyone ask for anything in decades of selling vehicles. Most people don't even pop the hood, let alone want to read a stack of invoices.

I think it depends on the vehicle. One of my business’ is a small car dealership that specializes in niche and high end cars and nearly 100% of my clients ask.

Old Post 03-17-2017 04:22 AM
roll_over is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roll_over Click here to Send roll_over a Private Message Find more posts by roll_over Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 02:56 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Who keeps maintenance records, and how?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: