Quantcast
Who keeps maintenance records, and how? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who keeps maintenance records, and how?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I have almost everything done at the dealership, I'd do my own oil changes if they weren't free there. When I switched dealerships due to moving across the city they printed out my entire service history to provide to the new dealership, it was pretty detailed so I kept a copy. I think that would satisfy a potential buyer, and if it doesn't then they weren't the right one.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

I keep all mine. if i sell the car privately I give them to new owner if they want them, if they don't i shred.
    My next car may be a trade in, so I don't think the dealer will want those.

I also keep my payoff letters on my car loans and let the new owner inspect that, but I keep that for my CYA file.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My cars all have built in service reminders, where I get it serviced at the dealer. I don't keep any of it because the dealer can print them all out for me if/when I need it.

Fuck paper.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Thanks for the awesome and helpful responses - looks like it's currently a binder of papers for many people, with a few venturing into excel/online territory.

For those who buy/sell privately through craigslist, kijiji etc, I wonder - if you had instant online access to all the maintenance records (both DIY and dealer/independent with invoice snapshots ) along with a seller's ad, and could view them before having to contact the seller, would that save you time or change the way you filter through ads?

Or as a seller, if you had an easy way to (optionally) include your records with your ad, do you think it would help in selling your vehicle?

My Ride
    G37X

I keep invoices and receipts in an envelope, and also keep a Google Docs file with date/mileage/what and where it was done that I could pull up on my phone anywhere or show to a potential buyer.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by drivingcanada
    Thanks for the awesome and helpful responses - looks like it's currently a binder of papers for many people, with a few venturing into excel/online territory.

For those who buy/sell privately through craigslist, kijiji etc, I wonder - if you had instant online access to all the maintenance records (both DIY and dealer/independent with invoice snapshots ) along with a seller's ad, and could view them before having to contact the seller, would that save you time or change the way you filter through ads?

Or as a seller, if you had an easy way to (optionally) include your records with your ad, do you think it would help in selling your vehicle?
    If I was buying used on Kijiji, I don't think it'll change the fact that I'll still need to physically touch/feel the vehicle. Right now, Kijiji offers the seller to link/purchase a carproof report, which hardly any seller offers.

If I was selling used on Kijiji, unless its intergrated free of charge to link/post my receipts, I wouldn't pay any extra for it though.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Every car I've owned I keep a service record
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    Nissan Skyline

I type myself an email and print it if I do the work myself

Well, if you want to get started easily, you could just add a folder to your filing cabinet (if you have a filing cabinet) and place all your repair invoices in there chronologically.

Then get a little notebook and keep that in your glove compartment. Make note of anything you think is important: Dates and mileage of oil changes, the last time the brakes were done, optimum tire pressure, etc...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I use an online note-taking app. Web based - Diigo - I just log in with my garage PC and add anything relevant (eg. to do) and anything completed as far as maintenance (Month/year, mileage, work done).

I can also make notes on it while in my car.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-16-2017 at 03:55 PM.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Keep ours in a binder. Similar to some of the other replies. Keep they until I sell the car. If buyer wants the record I give to them.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I mile my cars out. Taking a potential car for a test drive and checking the fluids reveals way more than a binder full of receipts does.

Having said that, if I had a NICE car and was selling it before it was miled out, I can see that being useful for the sale. But I've personally never had a problem.

Just sold my 520k km duramax, guy asked if I had invoices for all the parts I put on, which I did since they were all online order, but he didn't care to take them.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I have an Excel sheet that everything goes on. Gas, car washes, modifications, maintenance, insurance. All with cost, date and mileage against each one.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Binder here too. Dividers for different categories, everything goes into it.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Keep a folder of receipts and track my maintenance and fuel economy using fuelly. I just make brief notes of maintenance performed when enter the next gas up in the log. Quick and simple

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Excel sheet with mileage, work done, where done, and cost.
    Searchable PDFs scanned of all receipts for DIY stuff and work orders for dealership/other.
    No paper kept at all.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Originally posted by rage2
    My cars all have built in service reminders, where I get it serviced at the dealer. I don't keep any of it because the dealer can print them all out for me if/when I need it.

Fuck paper.

Except for when I sold my car from my company to myself and Lonestar refused to print shit cause of some freedom of information mumbo jumbo.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Don't you trust yourself?

I pretty much don't keep anything. Haven't had anyone ask for anything in decades of selling vehicles. Most people don't even pop the hood, let alone want to read a stack of invoices.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    Don't you trust yourself?

I pretty much don't keep anything. Haven't had anyone ask for anything in decades of selling vehicles. Most people don't even pop the hood, let alone want to read a stack of invoices.
    I think it depends on the vehicle. One of my business’ is a small car dealership that specializes in niche and high end cars and nearly 100% of my clients ask.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2