Quantcast
2006 Rav4. More power, more seats. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Rav4. More power, more seats.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default 2006 Rav4. More power, more seats.

New 2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV To Make Its World Premier at Frankfurt International Motor Show

Toyota Motor Marketing Europe (TMME), will unveil the all-new European-specification third-generation 2006 RAV4 compact sport utility vehicle (SUV) at a press conference tomorrow at the 2005 Frankfurt International Motor Show.

"We look forward to the arrival of the new RAV4 in the U.S. later this year," said Jim Lentz, Toyota Division group vice president and general manager, Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. "Completely re-styled, the new RAV4 is larger and more powerful to provide the necessary utility and performance for active singles and the comfort, versatility and convenience to meet the demands of young couples with and without children."

The next-generation RAV4 rides on an all-new platform that is significantly longer and wider, inside and out, with a roomier and more convenient passenger compartment than the previous generation (the U.S. version will have a longer wheelbase than the European version). With an increased length of more than 14-inches over the previous generation, a new seating design features second row seating for three and optional third row seating, a first in the small SUV segment. The seating allows for numerous seat fold-down configurations, and under-floor storage (on models without the third-row seat), providing cargo space comparable to a mid-size SUV. Among the array of interior features new to RAV4 are optitron gauges, cruise control with lever-operated brake deceleration, dual zone automatic air conditioning, audio mini-jack port, and a dual glove box.

The RAV4 will offer an optional all-new class-leading 3.5-liter V6 engine with dual variable valve timing with intelligence (VVT-i) that will generate 268 horsepower, more than some V8-equipped larger SUV's. The standard powertrain will be an upgraded 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with VVT-i. The engine will deliver 166 horsepower, making it one of the most powerful in the small SUV segment. The increased power of the two powertrains is matched with improved fuel efficiency.

Like all Toyota SUV's, RAV4 will be equipped with the Toyota Star Safety System, which includes an enhanced version of Toyota's Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control, Anti-lock brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, and Brake Assist. RAV4 will also offer optional driver and front passenger seat-mounted side, and front- and second-row roll-sensing side curtain airbags.

Ride and handling is significantly improved as the RAV4's new platform includes a redesigned suspension, which is coupled with a more responsive new electronic power steering system. The new Sport grade will feature standard 18-inch alloys, helping to provide enhanced performance handling. Additional Sport grade features will include overfenders, privacy glass, roof rack, and a unique interior seat fabric for a more aggressive appearance. A new Limited grade offers increased interior refinement, which includes dual zone air conditioning, power driver seat, an upgraded audio system with a six-disc CD changer, and available leather-trimmed interior seats.

An all-new exterior design features a modern-rugged theme. Its contemporary look includes an aerodynamically sleek and sporty shape with a wider stance and sharp character lines that convey the power and muscularity traits commonly associated with SUV's.

The all-new RAV4 will be offered in three distinct grades; Base, Sport, and Limited. Each grade will be available in two- and four-wheel-drive (4WD) with a four-speed automatic transmission on four-cylinder models and a five-speed automatic transmission with V6-equipped models. The 4WD RAV4 features Toyota's newest electronically controlled 4WD on-demand system with a manual 4WD Locking Switch.

The new RAV4 will launch in the U.S. in late December 2005.

2006 TOYOTA RAV4 PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

ENGINE
    3.5-liter V6 with dual VVT-i
    Horsepower: 268
    Torque: 246 lbs.-ft. @ 4,000 RPM
    2.4-liter four-cylinder with VVT-i
    Horsepower: 166
    Torque: 165 lbs.-ft @4,000 RPM

SUSPENSION
    FRONT: Macpherson strut suspension with stabilizer bar and hydraulic shock absorbers
    REAR: Double-wishbone coil-spring rear suspension with stabilizer bar and hydraulic shock absorbers
    MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY
    V6 (with tow prep package): 3,500 lbs.
    Four-cylinder: 1,500 lbs.

EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS (inches)
    Wheelbase: 105.0"
    Overall Length: 181"
    Overall Width (without/with overfenders): 71.5"/73"
    Overall Height (without/with roof rack: 66.1"/68"

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Guess its no longer a cute-ute. I still prefer the styling of the current gen. It still has the 2.4L 166 Hp / 168 LB/ft. The new one i guess appeals to those who want an efficient 7 seater suv.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

^^^
    same here i still prefer the "cute-ute" i guess...this one just looks strange for some reason

I like the current gen as it isn't "too big". perfect for the family of 4 that just wants to head out and do a little camping for the weekend. A little too big for me...but good for those who are looking for a smaller 7 seater suv instead of going with the Sequoia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    2002 Acura 1.7EL

So with the Rav4 getting bigger does that mean the end of the Highlander? Or does that now get bigger and get more power?

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by GSR Zero
    So with the Rav4 getting bigger does that mean the end of the Highlander? Or does that now get bigger and get more power?
    Good point...since the Rav is offered with leather. Makes no sense to have two similar SUVs. Unless they market the new rav as a sporty SUV and the Highlander as a luxury suv Well, I have to say that the new Rav does look better than the highlander.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    96 civic lx, 04 corolla

looks good... great power.. my uncle's been waiting for this car to come out so he can buy it. i think hell be pretty happy.

as for looks.. doesn't look to bad. the second pic kinda remindes me of the mitsubishi outlander.

overall excellent car buy the sound of it.

My Ride
    BMW E70

I like the current RAV too, but I think I like this new one more since it would be more suited to me. For 2006, Toyota's website shows the Highlander available as Hybrid only so maybe the RAV is going to replace the gas Highlander.
    Also, the RAV is already available with the leather interior, the availability of leather doesn't mean its replacing the Highlander. Its the addition of a big V6, 3rd row seat option, increase in size and addition of several "luxury" amenities that would point towards the "cute ute" taking over for its dated Higlander sibling...

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Wow... a 3rd row seat option... looking at the stats the new RAV looks to be about the same size as the highlander... I really wonder if you can fit a 3rd row back there.

the front reminds me of a chevy uplander...
    i like the current generation much better...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Godfuader

Good point...since the Rav is offered with leather. Makes no sense to have two similar SUVs. Unless they market the new rav as a sporty SUV and the Highlander as a luxury suv Well, I have to say that the new Rav does look better than the highlander.
    No. It'll just follow Nissan's Xterra/Murano lineup. One mucho and one civil.

So the match ups against Nissan.....

X-Trail - Rav4 2.4L
    Xterra - Rav4 3.5L
    Murano - Highlander
    Pathfinder - 4Runner
    Armada - Sequoia

I think this new more mucho RAV4 is a bad idea. The name RAV is already achieve chick car status. Guys who want the truck image will turn to 4Runner or Nissan before a RAV.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-18-2005 at 09:40 PM.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by Xtrema

I think this new more mucho RAV4 is a bad idea. The name RAV is already achieve chick car status. Guys who want the truck image will turn to 4Runner or Nissan before a RAV.
    cuz the murano and x-trail scream 'Macho'? The RAV is a cute-ute, and thats the reason I bought my GF a new one in December. If they launch a V6 7seater RAV, it will be marketed towards the family segment who may not need 7 seats all the time and need something sportier than a mini-van. The 7-seater SUVs on the market now are massive gas guzzling beasts, this is the efficient and reliable alternative. The RAV was never given bad reviews...ever. This just allows for an alternative to people who considered the RAV too small. I hope guys who want the truck image would not look at a 7seater. Besides Toyota never has a bad idea when it comes to their bottom line.

My Ride
    Bicycle

cuz the murano and x-trail scream 'Macho'?
    No, they ain't either. Macho are pathfinder, xterra, 4runners.

Both Pathfinder and 4runners has V6 7 seat options and so does Pilot and Highlander.

Why a RAV 7 seater is needed is beyond me. It's supposes to be a cheap cute-ute. Now if they sell a fully loaded 7 seat V6 RAV4 for under $35K, then I can see it's existence. Otherwise, it's pointless.

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

i wish these import compnays would put a rear bumper on these things.. using the spare tire, and gate gets expensive when they get rear ended. espically considering the glass usually breaks as well
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by Xtrema

Both Pathfinder and 4runners has V6 7 seat options and so does Pilot and Highlander.

Why a RAV 7 seater is needed is beyond me. It's supposes to be a cheap cute-ute. Now if they sell a fully loaded 7 seat V6 RAV4 for under $35K, then I can see it's existence. Otherwise, it's pointless.
    The runnner is only sold as 5 seaters. The pathfinder is almost $37K, Highlander and Pilot (8seater) are around $39K. I think if they sell the RAV at the $35K mark, then there would be a significant demand for them, cuz the nearest other is still $2K more. The limited RAV right now is $33,500 so it should be very interesting to see how much the new RAV will be, and it cant be close to $39K cuz the highlander would be the better option at that price bracket.

My Ride
    BMW E70

The runnner is only sold as 5 seaters. The pathfinder is almost $37K, Highlander and Pilot (8seater) are around $39K. I think if they sell the RAV at the $35K mark, then there would be a significant demand for them, cuz the nearest other is still $2K more. The limited RAV right now is $33,500 so it should be very interesting to see how much the new RAV will be, and it cant be close to $39K cuz the highlander would be the better option at that price bracket.
    You can get 3rd row seat option in the 4Runner Limited only. Its called the Limited B-Package. Highlander with 3-rd row seat is standard (for 2005) on Limited package only ($48K). Also, Highlander and Pilot are 7 passengers... not 8. Configurations for both are 2 - 3 - 2. The Higlander starts around $36K and tops out just under $50K for the Limited. According to my Toyota salesperson, she thinks a fully loaded Rav4 Limited V6 will top out at $40K.

My Ride
    BMW E70

'06 Rav4 at Franfurt. Apparently the Rav4 will be in Calgary dealerships Feb. '06

I think the new size and added features of the 06' Rav are good. I sure wouldn't opt for the 3rd row seat though since in most mid-size SUV's they are useless. Even in the Higlander and MDX they are cramped at best. Imagine in something smaller. I think the new size is good... looks to be about the size of the Murano, maybe slightly smaller. Not everyone wants or needs something big like a 4Runner or Highlander. I'll have a good look at the Rav4 when it comes out
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by HRD2PLZ; 09-20-2005 at 08:11 AM.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

You can get 3rd row seat option in the 4Runner Limited only. Its called the Limited B-Package. Highlander with 3-rd row seat is standard (for 2005) on Limited package only ($48K). Also, Highlander and Pilot are 7 passengers... not 8. Configurations for both are 2 - 3 - 2. The Higlander starts around $36K and tops out just under $50K for the Limited. According to my Toyota salesperson, she thinks a fully loaded Rav4 Limited V6 will top out at $40K.
    This is news to me I've spent some time at Toyota dealerships and did not find the optional third row in any of the 05 models...because it does not exist. You cannot buy a new runner with anything more than 5 seats. The highlander has a V6 7 seater (non-limited) for $39,500 right now, so not just the limited highlander has 7 seats. The 2006 model will be in the relative same range. Highlander Pricing - 2006

The flyer off the honda website says that Pilot will only be offered in 8 seater config in all trims. Honda Pilot - 2005 flyer PDF

The New RAV seems to look decent in the pic u posted. Wonder how similar production will look like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast