Quantcast
employment insurance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: employment insurance

Default employment insurance

anyone out there ever had to deal with collecting E.I after they have quit a job? i just quit today after almost 5 years of working for the same company. and the company i was working for is currently in recievership so that is why i left, they were almost 5 million dollrs in debt before the reciever was appointed.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

err i though EI was only when you were Fired or laid off?

My Ride
    MDX

Dont you have to be laid off to collect EI? I always thought if you quit, you forfeited it.....

I don't think you qualify for EI if you quit voluntarily, despite the financial condition of the company.

technically i was laid off but they also put on my seperation slip that i will be asked to return to work

Originally posted by sallinger
    technically i was laid off but they also put on my seperation slip that i will be asked to return to work
    Then you will qualify after the waiting period which I believe is 3 weeks.

Edit: If you got severance pay, then the waiting period is extended by the number of weeks' pay you received.

no severance pay no holiday pay nothing. i am so pissed off

Yep, that sucks after giving them five years of service.

The bright side of this is that you don't have to wait very long to get EI benefits, and all your reporting can be done online.

Originally posted by sallinger
    no severance pay no holiday pay nothing. i am so pissed off
    Odd to hear. I've always heard that severance pay is required if you get laid off. By Alberta regulations it's a minimum 1 week per year??

then again, if you quit, you end up with nothing including no EI.

Originally posted by Foz
    Odd to hear. I've always heard that severance pay is required if you get laid off. By Alberta regulations it's a minimum 1 week per year??
    I believe you're entitled to severance, but a company in financial difficulty probably won't voluntarily give it out.

If you got screwed, you'll have to put in a claim and queue up behind the other creditors. Don't count on this money because the odds are you'll get nothing. If there's a settlement, it will most likely be a fraction of your claim.

My Ride
    Bicycle

They are $5M in debt. Unlikely they'll have any money for severance. I think that's why the company ask him to quit instead of firing him. Sure it's not really following labour law but so what, you can sue and be one of the creditors that'll never collect anyway.

But as long as you get your pink slip with the reason of laid off, you'll get EI. Job market is strong in Calgary. As long as you don't mind how much, a job is easy to find.

EDIT: ^ too late.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

Bump for old thread...

Just got laid off yesterday, and would like to get the scoop with EI as this is the first time I’ll be applying. I understand that with the new budget you are eligible up to 50wks, up from 45 before...of course I don't expect to be on EI for this long.

History: Worked as an junior level accountant for 6months, ~1000hrs and monthly income was $3000. (not a co-op term, I was full time with benefits)

Curve ball: I've been going to the University of Lethbridge at the Calgary campus (3 night classes a week) for the past year, and plan to keep going for the next year.

Does going to school affect EI? I guess 3 classes (9hrs/wk) would be considered full time schooling. I heard you have to be available 24hrs for work if you get the opportunity.

Come Monday I think I will make an appointment with one of the EI counselors but just wanted to see if beyond could shed some light.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by slick2404
    Bump for old thread...

Just got laid off yesterday, and would like to get the scoop with EI as this is the first time I’ll be applying. I understand that with the new budget you are eligible up to 50wks, up from 45 before...of course I don't expect to be on EI for this long.

History: Worked as an junior level accountant for 6months, ~1000hrs and monthly income was $3000. (not a co-op term, I was full time with benefits)

Curve ball: I've been going to the University of Lethbridge at the Calgary campus (3 night classes a week) for the past year, and plan to keep going for the next year.

Does going to school affect EI? I guess 3 classes (9hrs/wk) would be considered full time schooling. I heard you have to be available 24hrs for work if you get the opportunity.

Come Monday I think I will make an appointment with one of the EI counselors but just wanted to see if beyond could shed some light.

You can still qualify if you have under 10hrs a week of school with homework included...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.