Quantcast
Slow shutdown with Windows XP SP2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slow shutdown with Windows XP SP2

My Ride
    2008 Saturn Astra, 1979 Honda CX500

Default Slow shutdown with Windows XP SP2

Hey guys, my laptop has been getting less and less enjoyable to use as of late. I'll give you the specs if that will help.

Toshiba Laptop, Intel Celeron (yeah not great I know). 1.33 gHz, 128 mb RAM, 30 gb HD (with about 7 gb free), running Win XP w/ SP2. Regular Spyware scans (SpyBot S&D), antivirus (AVG Free), Firewalled (router and Win XP Firewall). System resources should be ok, I'm running minimal programs in the sys tray.

The main problem is that whenever I go to shut the PC down, it takes forever. I click on "Start - Turn off Computer" and from there it takes between 3 and 5 minutes (no joke) to simply load the box that gives you the options of "Turn off, Restart, Log off."

From there, once selecting "Turn Off," the PC takes an additional 5-10 minutes to actually shutdown.

Anyone have any ideas what I should check?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Fucked up driver yo.

My Ride

Ok, I performed the steps in that Article, and my PC did not have the NVidia Driver. But the shutdown is still just as slow.

What driver would be causing this GTS Jeff?

My Ride
    STi

watch for the harddrive LED. if its solid then its a program shutting down slowly (most likely the antivirus). if there is no light then you should clean up the partition (defrag, disk cleanup, and download a program called: crap cleaner)
    give it a couple hard boots then it should be ok..

there's a certain line in the registry that deals w/ shutdowns, and specifically how long to wait before terminating applications
    if that doens't fix it than it's probably hardware, tho i don't know why it's only acting up during shutdown

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by 94SSEi
    Ok, I performed the steps in that Article, and my PC did not have the NVidia Driver. But the shutdown is still just as slow.

What driver would be causing this GTS Jeff?
    I have no idea man, but I've experienced this sort of problem before many times. In my experience as an (uncertified haha) computer tech, these things are almost always caused by buggy drivers, whether they're default MS drivers or whether they're brand new releases that are untested. Some companies moreso than others are known for releasing resource hogging drivers...a few that I can name from my own experience:

Creative, Logitech, Lexmark...

I think the best thing you can do is try to remember when this problem started happening, then try and remember if it coincided with any driver updates or hardware changes. If you have no idea, just try updating all your drivers. If that doesn't do it, then you may be stuck with doing a fresh install of Windows. With the fresh install, install one driver at a time, restarting every time and making sure that the problem doesn't appear.
    Last edited by GTS Jeff; 10-12-2005 at 08:33 PM.

My Ride
    Pimp Mobile

i cant wait until Windows Vista, XP has been nothing but a boat load of problems...blue screens here, slowing down to a crawl there...i thought it was just ME but most ppl on XP experience problems!?!??!

i have this problem too!

i was wondering what the hell was going on i kinda thought it was my overclock but i don't really see why...so im goin to try those steps and whatnot

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by AcuraTl
    i cant wait until Windows Vista, XP has been nothing but a boat load of problems...blue screens here, slowing down to a crawl there...i thought it was just ME but most ppl on XP experience problems!?!??!

PEBKAC

XP boots up and shuts down, crazy fast for myself, and most of the people I know. Rarely encounter any errors, the only errors I do encounter are hardware ones (motherboard and ram mainly, but HDD's being maltreated also)

If you got tyhe computer loaded up w/ junk, it's not XP's fault.
    Travel

i noticed this problem wasn't here till after i downloaded a nvidia driver for dvds but seeing this i did the steps now it shuts down faster than before!!! YEAH!!!

lotsa cool tips inside too some i thought everyone should know but hey im just a nerd

My Ride
    Porsche 911 Cab

I would agree with the faulty driver, I had the same issue with an older non-compaitble Roxio driver. Had to remove the drivers and edit the registry to not load them anymore.

Originally posted by Ben

PEBKAC

XP boots up and shuts down, crazy fast for myself, and most of the people I know. Rarely encounter any errors, the only errors I do encounter are hardware ones (motherboard and ram mainly, but HDD's being maltreated also)

My Ride

Yeah it's not loaded with junk, don't have any p2p software, no games, it's used just for school and surfing...

ah well, I can live with it, its just annoying.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Yeah it's not loaded with junk, don't have any p2p software, no games, it's used just for school and surfing...

ah well, I can live with it, its just annoying.
    Well it's something then, because I install WinXP SP2 on a weekly basis and manage a few dosen users on it, and none have this problem, fresh installs or well used.
    Travel

Originally posted by Ben

PEBKAC

Yup, everyone tries to blame hardware most of the time. Most errors or slow downs that I find are user caused or user aggro'd.
    I have personally never had an issue with XP on either my personal laptop, work laptop, home desktop or media center box...

My Ride

Well I'm not trying to sound almighty and say that I have no part in it whatsoever. I don't know enough about computers to say that. Just don't have it loaded up with junk...

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Well I'm not trying to sound almighty and say that I have no part in it whatsoever. I don't know enough about computers to say that. Just don't have it loaded up with junk...

hmmmm...well, I'll take your word for it bro, but something is not right for it to take 5 minutes. 1 or 2...MAYBE, but it sounds like a process wont shut down.

As mentioned above, it could be an antivirus prog, or a drive, or a peice of spyware that you didn't know about..

If you open "regedit" (start, run, type "regedit")

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Run.

What is listed in there?

Have you tried the other regedit about "WaitToKill"?
    Travel

for me it was a nvidia decoder!

My Ride
    looking 4 one

I'll bet it is the anti virus that make you wait for a 30 second time out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast